Carbon or Ceramic tint on machine gray?

CX_MCHNE

Thread Necromancer
:
CA
:
2019 GTR
Planning to go w/ 3M, but stuck deciding between color stable (carbon) and ceramic. I'm having trouble finding good pics of machine gray (ideally 2017+ CX-5) with tint that say what type of tint and what percentage.

The shop is telling me to go Color Stable because it's not shiny and will look better/darker and be a better match w/ my privacy glass. He says ceramic has more of a chrome effect, and from outside will appear brighter for the same VLT. Not really sure which I'll prefer w/ machine gray metallic. Not necessarily looking for it to be gangsta, but would like it to look cool.

I live in california and am looking for good heat rejection but not wanting a ticket. Thinking 30 ceramic or 35 carbon on front sides. Liking that I could go much lighter with ceramic than color stable for the same heat reduction on the back 5 windows.

Any advice or help finding relevant pics would be really appreciated. Thanks!!

I don't have a CX-5, but here's my CX-9 in MGM. First pic is without tint, with the sunshades up in the rear windows. It was taken in the afternoon.

attachment.php

This next pic is with Avery Dennison 35% ceramic tint applied to the front windows. Rear sunshades are down in this pic.

attachment.php

This next pic is with Avery Dennison 35% ceramic tint applied to the front windows. Rear sunshades are down in this pic.

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

Very helpful, thanks! Looks great.

Very helpful, thanks! Looks great.

No problem, and thanks. On the note of heat rejection, I have noticed that the car's A/C system doesn't work as hard as it did before the tint. In theory, this should lead to a very slight increase in mileage.

If you're not worried about the additional cost of ceramic, then definitely get it. A 70-80% is worth it on the windshield too if you weren't already considering it. Visor strip to match the windows as well.

If you're not worried about the additional cost of ceramic, then definitely get it. A 70-80% is worth it on the windshield too if you weren't already considering it. Visor strip to match the windows as well.
Planning on crystalline for the windshield but didn't think about a visor strip. good tip!

I went 20% carbon all around and 50% on the windshield. Let me try to upload a pic.

8F95F2B6-A2F3-4AD4-910B-AC4209987932.jpeg

57193713-8C52-4B05-926B-E1C5BAE74C84.jpeg

Last edited:
I went 20% carbon all around and 50% on the windshield. Let me try to upload a pic.
Ooh, that dark dark does look good. I guess both types are gonna look reflective because they're both behind smooth glass. So far I don't really notice a strong difference between the film techs' [edit]appearances[/edit]. Definitely helpful, thank you!

Last edited:
Ooh, that dark dark does look good. I guess both types are gonna look reflective because they're both behind smooth glass. So far I don't really notice a strong difference between the film techs. Definitely helpful, thank you!

Super dark when you put a 20% over the factory privacy glass which I love. But even though the carbon helps with heat, the car still gets warm on the inside... nothing a little remote start wont fix

Ok, I went with 3M crystalline 70% windshield, 3M ceramic 30% front windows, 3M ceramic 50% rear 5 privacy glass windows.
I think I picked the right films. The 30% is light enough I'm not worried about tickets, the windshield is effectively clear, and the backs are light enough I can still see behind me at night, and people behind me can still see third brake lights in front of me. And because I went w/ ceramic I'm getting significantly more heat "rejection" than I would've w/ carbon. And the shininess of the ceramic doesn't bother me at all.

Although I think the ceramic was the better choice for me, as explained in another thread I do regret doing the tint. But I thought I'd post pics for anyone considering 3M ceramic. The first three pics are w/ a polarizing filter to reduce reflections, to give an idea of the light transmitted:
P8241687_1080.jpg

P8241686_1080.jpg

P8241684_1080.jpg

This gives a better idea what it looks like reflecting sky:
P8241682_1080.jpg

Maximum tint on the front windows is 25% in Texas. I recently had llumar Formula One Ceramic 30% installed on just the front windows. Very happy with it. Now the fronts are barely lighter than the rear, if I had gone with 25% the fronts would have been darker than the rear. The shop I went to, who I've used for many years, didn't try to sell me anything on the rear or windshield although another CX-5 was in at the same time for clear on those.

Latest posts

Back