Wireless CarPlay dongle from aliexpress

I'm going to bet no one has tried it. Especially considering the long lost of compatible cars... And there's no Mazda. Oh, and it's not even available yet.

Looks like a good product, but i thought i read somewhere it cannot be done over bluetooth due to the limited bandwidth,
this is why BMW charges a subscription fee for using wifi for carplay.

Looks like a good product, but i thought i read somewhere it cannot be done over bluetooth due to the limited bandwidth,
this is why BMW charges a subscription fee for using wifi for carplay.

It seems as if the dongle provides its own Wi-Fi connection

It seems as if the dongle provides its own Wi-Fi connection

The dongle plugs in to your USB port. It then uses BT to connect to your phone. That's how it looks anyway. It shows a wifi icon but doesn't mention it.
Pretty piss poor product page overall.

The dongle plugs in to your USB port. It then uses BT to connect to your phone. That's how it looks anyway. It shows a wifi icon but doesn't mention it.
Pretty piss poor product page overall.

Hmm I would think that Bluetooth would not have enough bandwidth. My thinking was that the dongle would emulate a car with supporting wireless CarPlay and that the iPhone would then connect wirelessly to the dongle. On the other end, I was thinking that the dongle would emulate an iPhone connected via USB.

Wired CarPlay: iPhone -> Lightning cable -> Car USB Port
Wireless CarPlay (My thinking): iPhone -> Wireless Carplay Connection (Bluetooth + WiFI) -> Dongle | Dongle -> Car USB (emulating an iPhone directly attached to the car)

The video listed on the page is in Chinese, wonder when another company will start making a similar product but with better English translation.

If it only uses Bluetooth, I can't imagine it would work well.

Id love to hear if this works!

(but maybe its worth buying from somewhere you can return it)

Back