2020 due?

The offers on the 2020s suck. 2.9% APR, my pet can get that. And no cash back. But at least they give you 90 days of nonpayment so you can feel good.

https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/special-offers-and-incentives

I don't even want to know what the lease rates are. Is this a Toyota improvement?

The past 18 months or so, I've noticed those rates have gone up and down. I started looking the summer/fall of 2018 and they were 0.9%. I bought in March 2019 and they were up to 2.9% (still lower than my bank). Summer 2019 rolled around and I saw they went back down to 0.9%. I don't know if this is the standard Mazda cycle.

I know we keep talking about Mazda's apparent lack of marketing...I never see these rates advertised. Ever. You have to seek them out. The vast majority of the few Mazda commercials I see are from the local dealership, and the commercials are 100% leasing deals...no advertising cars "for sale," much less at promotional interest rates.

I'll save up till I can buy cash and then pay zero interest. Ed

There is the issue of well-below-market 0.9% rates (when available) relative to what you could do with the money you would have laid out (although the spread these days is not what it used to be). It would be difficult to lose money on the transaction.

I'm sure you know that. And I understand there are lots of reasons for being debt-free besides some pure financial calculation.

My CX-5 is my 3rd new car. I got 0% financing on the first two (Chevy and GMC trucks). Had I thought the 0.9% would cycle back through with Mazda, I would have waited. But I didn't want to roll the dice on what the Fed was going to do.

1st World Problems, huh?

There is the issue of well-below-market 0.9% rates (when available) relative to what you could do with the money you would have laid out (although the spread these days is not what it used to be). It would be difficult to lose money on the transaction.

I'm sure you know that. And I understand there are lots of reasons for being debt-free besides some pure financial calculation.

My CX-5 is my 3rd new car. I got 0% financing on the first two (Chevy and GMC trucks). Had I thought the 0.9% would cycle back through with Mazda, I would have waited. But I didn't want to roll the dice on what the Fed was going to do.

1st World Problems, huh?

December is the biggest sales month in the car industry. They really should have some better offers than this for December. We will see in a few days.

I'm looking at 2019 vs. 2020 CX-5 in Grand Touring Reserve trim. Besides the $1500 rebate I loose what do I gain in this trim waiting on a 2020?

I'm looking at 2019 vs. 2020 CX-5 in Grand Touring Reserve trim. Besides the $1500 rebate I loose what do I gain in this trim waiting on a 2020?

As it's almost December 2019, I'd wait for a 2020 at this point. It'll cost more but have proportionally more resale value. The screen is 1" larger for turbo models, other changes seem minor.

December is the biggest sales month in the car industry. They really should have some better offers than this for December. We will see in a few days.

I had a longish reply typed.

I'll just say that Mazda's marketing philosophy is based on the WTF Model.

edit to add: I'm watching college ball today. Mazda had a commercial (they always seem to advertise during college ball and golf), then there was someone else's commercial, then a brief shot back at the game during a timeout, and then that Mazda commercial again (aired twice in the span of 3 minutes). This one was specific: talked about the reviews for the CX-9 and CX-5, then advertised deferred payments/low rates to push the 2019 cars out the door.

edit #2: The fine print says the deals exclude the diesel. I guess they sell themselves...

Last edited:
I think for 2020, you lose the native navigation in all but the Signature model. Otherwise, the 2020 has a bit more torque and a slightly larger infotainment screen.

I took a look a the Build Your Own section.

>NAV is a $400 option on the 2020 Sport and the 2020 Touring.

>I could find no reference for NAV on the Grand Touring specs. I used the text search for "NAV" and found no reference, and it's not listed as an option.
>>The Grand Touring Reserve is the same...no mention of the NAV.

>The Signature says it comes with the NAV.

I gotta think the lack of NAV on the GT and GTR descriptions are an oversight. I sent an email via their website.

Oh, and the GT trim and above come with paddle shifters.

Last edited:
I took a look a the Build Your Own section.

>NAV is a $400 option on the 2020 Sport and the 2020 Touring.

>I could find no reference for NAV on the Grand Touring specs. I used the text search for "NAV" and found no reference, and it's not listed as an option.
>>The Grand Touring Reserve is the same...no mention of the NAV.

>The Signature says it comes with the NAV.

I gotta think the lack of NAV on the GT and GTR descriptions are an oversight. I sent an email via their website.

Oh, and the GT trim and above come with paddle shifters.

I received a reply from Mazda:

Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center! We appreciate your interest in the 2020 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring and Grand Touring Reserve models, Bill, and I am happy to help with this.

Thank you for your feedback on the vehicle description and available features listed for the 2020 CX-5 on our website; I've documented this for review and correction. I apologize for any confusion caused in this! The 2020 CX-5 model includes the navigation SD card from factory on the Signature trim level only. The navigation SD card is a compatible accessory to purchase for any 2020 CX-5 model if you'd like to add this feature. Since all 2020 CX-5 models come with Apple CarPlay / Android Auto feature, which offers navigation through smartphone integration, the navigation SD card no longer comes standard in all models.

I hope that this helps to clear things up! Please do not hesitate to reconnect with us if you have further questions. You can reach me directly by replying to this email or using the number below. Thank you again for contacting Mazda, Bill, have a great day!

I received a reply from Mazda:

Thank you for the follow up Deer, I am happy that we are able to add it with the Navigation SD card after purchase. My concern was the HUD not displaying speed limits when pulling from Navigation data. (when there is no speed limit sign for the camera to read) Hopefully adding the SD card after will re-enable that feature. Plus the extra piece of mind of a back up in case of cellphone failure.

Also, for those interested in the 2020 GTR and Sigs - according to my dealer they should be arriving in the dealerships late January early February. (At least for NJ) For the dealers that were not included with the initial 2020 inventory the factory is producing them this month (December) as a second shipment. No idea for the diesels - if at all - but rumor has it mid March 2020 if they are continuing this year.

Thank you for the follow up Deer, I am happy that we are able to add it with the Navigation SD card after purchase. My concern was the HUD not displaying speed limits when pulling from Navigation data. (when there is no speed limit sign for the camera to read)

That's a good point. Unless they changed the design, Traffic Sign Recognition is completely lost unless you get the SD Card...I believe it contains the icons that are displayed on the HUD. So the system won't display a speed limit sign at all without an SD Card being inserted, even if the camera sees it.

I don't see Traffic Sign Recognition listed in the features anywhere, even in the Sig description.

I replied to that email for clarification

Last edited:
The Combined Dec./Jan.Road and Track magazine has a three page add on the 2020 CX5 Signature.Rear cover and preceding pages.They highlight the increase in torque (320 lbs.) and paddle shifters.Nice pics of a machine gray,water and mountains in background.

I don't see Traffic Sign Recognition listed in the features anywhere, even in the Sig description.

I replied to that email for clarification

Mazda got right back to me.

TSR is still a feature you get with the NAV system, even though it is absent from any trim details I read.

Mazda got right back to me.

TSR is still a feature you get with the NAV system, even though it is absent from any trim details I read.

So will the TSR work without a NAV card by using the camera? Or does it require the NAV and camera to work?

I'm so confused. (confused)

So will the TSR work without a NAV card by using the camera? Or does it require the NAV and camera to work?

I'm so confused. (confused)

No, the TSR requires a NAV card.

From the 2019 manual:

The TSR operates only if the navigation system SD card (Mazda genuine) is inserted in the SD card slot. Consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer for details.

I know that the icons (pictures) of traffic signs that are displayed reside on the SD Card. I'm not certain if other TSR functions reside there as well.

Back