2020 due?

I was in the Hiroshima factory yesterday. The cars are whisked away to a pre shipping multi story car park on the dockside and I could only see fronts but on a couple of cars I did see the back of, they had the old font badges so maybe it*s a phased introduction for certain markets.

I bought the 6th Signature my dealer had at the end of December. I test drove a GTR in early December and decided I needed a turbo. My dealer now has 9 2020's, but no GTR's, or Sigs.

My dealer just contacted me about coming down to check out the *20 CX-5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Test drive tomorrow?

edit to add: The local dealer in Charlottesville has (26) 2020 CX-5s listed, and as someone else said, the pics are stock Mazda pics with a white background. This dealer has always had pics of the actual cars sitting on his lot in front of his building.

I don't see any Reserves or Signatures.

Last edited:

Wow, it looks like the Nav system isn*t even an option on the lower trims. It only comes on the Sig. I have to think this is an appalling bad idea. Yeah, I know, just use you phone, but not everyone wants to do that for various reasons (connecting/disconnecting phone every time you get in/out of car, using up phone data plan, spotty/slow data connections in some places on the road, no Nav data on the HUD, etc.). Plus, most people expect a built in Nav system on all but the lowest trim these days. I think this is going to backfire on them, and don*t really see much savings for Mazda in doing it. Glad I got my 2019 model GTR, because this would have been a deal breaker for me.

Ah damn it. They are back to the 2.9% APR for the 2020s. Hopefully they will knock it back down to .9% in the coming months. I understand the 2020s are brand new but I can't imagine paying an extra grand or two in interest for one.

Wow, it looks like the Nav system isn*t even an option on the lower trims. It only comes on the Sig. I have to think this is an appalling bad idea. Yeah, I know, just use you phone, but not everyone wants to do that for various reasons (connecting/disconnecting phone every time you get in/out of car, using up phone data plan, spotty/slow data connections in some places on the road, no Nav data on the HUD, etc.). Plus, most people expect a built in Nav system on all but the lowest trim these days. I think this is going to backfire on them, and don*t really see much savings for Mazda in doing it. Glad I got my 2019 model GTR, because this would have been a deal breaker for me.

Yeah, that's annoying. I'm personally conflicted about the change in removing NAV.

On one hand I never use it - I usually use my phone. But on the other I like to have a back up plan just in case there is a cellphone failure - plus it really makes use of the HUD which Carplay / AA cannot do.

Ah damn it. They are back to the 2.9% APR for the 2020s. Hopefully they will knock it back down to .9% in the coming months. I understand the 2020s are brand new but I can't imagine paying an extra grand or two in interest for one.

This rate seems to cycle through when the new model year initially hits the lot. I bet it goes back down to 0.9% after March or so. It happened with the 2019s.

By way of reference, here are total payments on a $40,000 5 year loan at the two rates:

2.9%=$43,018
0.9%=$40,922
Difference=$2,097 ($35/month)

I got bit when I bought my 2019 Reserve last March. They dropped the rate not long after I pulled off the lot.

Oh, well. Still beat my bank's rate. Maybe Mazda's cut of that two grand will be pumped back into R&D.

It is hard to believe you can only get navigation at 37k+. If true, and you can't simply add it with an inexpensive SD card like you can with a 2019, that is a major downgrade.

Having sold cars in the past, I have Carplay and use it, but lots of older folks don't know how to use that and want a factory system, and not everyone wants to pay 37,000 dollars.

i find using carplay or the phone's mapping app much easier than using the car's factory navigation system.
only thing that would make it better, is if the directions on carplay showed up on HUD.
But this might not be too far behind.

Its a waste of money for auto manufacturers to create and maintain their own navigation systems when so many mobile apps are much better and more useful.

Non smartphone folks can stick with their Garmins or Gazetteers.

Mazda has already spent the money on the navigation system years ago. It*s the same on my 2019 as it was over 4 years ago in my 2016. At this point, it*s just map updates, which is actually likely done by one of the mapping companies, not Mazda itself. I doubt that Nav is costing Mazda more than a licensing fee at this point. Plus, they have to still support it for the 2020 Sig, so what*s the value in not even making it an option in the other models?

The only downside of using CarPlay is the turn by turn Nav is lost in the HUD. It*s not life threatening but it is quite useful. Apple Watch wearers get the instructions repeated as haptics which I really found quite intuitive if you are for instance navigating while having a discussion.

They need to transition to wireless Apple Android. Even us boomers could figure that out if all that's needed is just pressing the TFL icon once

I like the Mazda NAV.

I like having it on the HUD and I like the voice reminders of upcoming turns (2 miles away at highway speeds, 1/2 mile away at 45 MPH or less). If I'm turning onto a road I'll be immediately turning off of (only driving on it a half block or so), the audio tells me "Turn right, then turn left" as I approach the initial turn so I'm prepared. This happens a lot in the country where roads got disjointed when "main" roads were later installed.

The HUD counts down miles remaining until the next turn, and has different style arrows indicating whether the next turn is a hard right/left turn, or whether it's a left or right exit off the highway, or whether it's just veering off in one direction or the other. It displays this "next turn" info the entire time you're on that leg of the trip...even 20 miles away...not just when you're up on top of it.

That being said, I've no experience with any other system, so I'm not sure where others find the Mazda NAV to be lacking. I imagine if there were an accident up ahead, I'd appreciate the ability to have an alternate route available (don't think Mazda does this). I had this happen to me once in an unfamiliar area and I blindly followed everyone else through a residential section to get around it. The NAV system did not recalculate a route as it has before when I've deviated, it told me to turn around as though I had made a wrong turn.

But I'm willing to sacrifice that in order to have the HUD and voice functionality.

I also like having the upcoming road displayed. Makes me feel like I have a context for where I am and I'm not just driving blind waiting for the next command.

My sport doesnt have NAV. My Garmin nuvi 2859LMT is probably better. I have a 12vdc mount that positions in the cubby just below the AC controls. It doesnt 'do WAZE' but it has a lot of featuress that help navigation.

Back