2017~2024 Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) affects extra brake wear & tear?

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature
Note: I moved this post from another (Brake Dust) thread because it was slightly off-topic.
Does Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) with Stop & Go affect brake pad and rotor wear? It seems, in conditions where it is frequently reacting, to be tapping the brakes more than a human driver would. Often continuing to brake much longer and harder than necessary when a human would see that the "obstructing" vehicle is no longer an issue. On other cars I usually get 45K miles on pads. I have a feeling I won't on this CX-5 Sig.

Last edited:
Note: I moved this post from another (Brake Dust) thread because it was slightly off-topic.
Does Radar Cruise Control (MRCC) with Stop & Go affect brake pad and rotor wear? It seems, in conditions were it is frequently reacting, to be tapping the brakes more than a human driver would. Often continuing to brake much longer and harder than necessary when a human would see that the "obstructing" vehicle is no longer an issue. On other cars I usually get 45K miles on pads. I have a feeling I won't on this CX-5 Sig.
I agree. Thiss an area our human can do better than computer, at least on current technology.

On the other hand, most people dont use MRCC often. And the cost of brake pads is minimum. If I had MRCC, I would use it without any hesitation under right driving conditions.

Based on members experience on CX-5, rear disk pads usually wear out earlier than front. And the rear ones should last over 50K~60K miles easily unless you have stuck caliper pin issue or EPB dragging issue.

Maybe its just the novelty of it, but I found my wife is using it even in city streets at 30-35MPH. I was riding as passenger and I thought something was wrong with her reactions/coordination. When the car abruptly slowed because the car 50' ahead slowed to turn into a side-street - then we continued to brake after the car was out of our immediate path, I asked her why she was stopping. That's when she said it wasn't her - but the CX's sensors.

We've been on one long trip (800 mi each way) mostly on I-75 and I-95 plus some heavily traveled hiways. While it was less stressful for an 11hr drive, I began noticing all the unnecessary braking (where I'd normally just coast to slow-down). That's what got me thinking about unusual brake wear.

BTW, does the CX5 have brake-pad wear sensors? With all the other useless gizmos this Signature has, I'd kind of expect it. But I haven't seen any mention of that. Mazda wants you to go to the dealer for 6-month oil changes & inspections. So maybe they want to encourage that need and save a few bucks on parts.

Last edited:
Sounds like yours might be calibrated poorly. Mine reacts pretty reasonably to traffic. I'd ask the dealer to check it next time you're there.

But it will never be as good, smooth, efficient driver as you can be. It's just mighty convenient. Like your wife, I sometimes use mine in the city, too.

I don't know for a fact, but I assume our brake pads have the normal wear sensors, and will start to shriek when they get low.

Can the RCC auto brake be disabled? I much prefer to just hit the cancel button when needed.

Have you tried standard CC rather than MRCC? I've never used it, but I would guess that's what you want.

...then we continued to brake after the car was out of our immediate path...

Damn, this exact scenario pisses me off about MRCC, although I would replace "immediate path" with "completely out of our path." Wish Mazda would address this with a software update.

Back