OEM Crossbars - Pain in the butt

:
2018 Mazda CX-9 GT
Anyone else find the OEM cross bars to be a pain in the butt to install? It took me about 45 minutes, I remember seeing other ppl say it took that long too. The T30 key they give you sucks, and is basically useless for the rear bar. Even with my 1/4" driver socket , an extension, and a t30 torx it didnt work because the space was too tight.

I lay a piece of thin cardboard (cereal box, etc.) on the paint to prevent scratches.

A couple of specialty tools make it easier. I put the bars on each winter for ski season and take them off in the spring.
--A ball-end hex driver, 4 mm, runs the screws in but not tightened. This is like a screwdrive but with a ball-end hex (Allen) tip.
--A ball-end T30 torx driver does a better job. Wiha 36236, about $10. https://www.wihatools.com/torxr-ball-end-softfinishr-driver-t30

Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate, "a blend of resins designed to remain flexible and absorb vibration. This unique difference makes VC-3 coated fasteners truly adjustable, removable, and reusable," should keep the screws in place after many removals and re-installs.

The first time I ground my T30 1/4" drive bit shorter, used a universal socket with a wrap of tape around to so it wouldn't be too floppy, and it still was a pain.

Last edited:
I wonder if at the dealer they just assemble the rails and crossbar first then install the rails onto the roof of the car....

I wonder if at the dealer they just assemble the rails and crossbar first then install the rails onto the roof of the car....

I really think it's inexcusable to design something that is so inaccessible and time-consuming, for an item that should be expected to see frequent owner remove-and-install's. Any auto tech student at my community college could probably do better than this. And it's not like this annoying design is somehow cheaper to make.

The longitudinal roof rails already have an outside groove in them. Why couldn't the crossbars just clamp onto them? Would be a 2-minute change-out.

Hey, Mazda, I have an idea: Sub the design out to Thule! (headbang)

Hey, Mazda, I have an idea: Sub the design out to Thule! (headbang)

I thought the design WAS subbed out to Thule.
Thule makes the official dealer accessory rooftop box.

I recently purchased the Yakima crossbars that are supposed to clamp to the stock rails. I'll photo up when they get here.

I thought the design WAS subbed out to Thule.
Thule makes the official dealer accessory rooftop box.

I recently purchased the Yakima crossbars that are supposed to clamp to the stock rails. I'll photo up when they get here.

Pele2048 - Did you ever install the Yakima crossbars? Interested in how easy, or not, they were to install. Thanks.

Pele2048 - Did you ever install the Yakima crossbars? Interested in how easy, or not, they were to install. Thanks.

Yeah. They went on very easily. They clamp to the stock rails rather than bolt to them.
They also sit a little higher than I'd like.

I'll take a few pics when I get home.

While everyone's situation is different, IMO if you can afford a new CX-9, you don't need to tie yourself down in aggravation installing crossbars. Let the dealer do it. If you like doing your own work, that's one thing. I won't even bother doing my own oil changes. Don't even have time to cut the grass.

Since the OEM cross bars attach to the side of the roof rails rather than at the top, is the weight of whatever is being attached to the crossbars properly supported by the roof rails? Wouldn't crossbars attached to the top be better at distributing the weight which in turn provides better support? I imagine the part of the crossbars that attach to the roof rail is made of plastic (I hope I am wrong) and may easily break if subjected to the highest weight capacity for extended periods (not that I'm planning to place anything that would reach that weight, but you never know).

I guess I'm weighing my options as to going OEM or aftermarket crossbars like Thule, which is also easy to take on/off and can be used on other vehicles. I realize the cost is significant since the Thule crossbars can go north of $600 while the OEMs are about $200.

crikey, we don't know what support is in the roof under the mounting points for the crossbars. Nope, metal, not plastic. I think the main advantage of Thule is the width, where needed, in addition to the interchangeability.

Terrible design. Takes special tools and a ton of patience neither of which I have. I was going to take mine off when not in use but it's not worth the time, hassle and potential damage or not getting them back on. I'll sacrifice the 1mpg in lost gas mileage and just leave them on.

crikey, we don't know what support is in the roof under the mounting points for the crossbars. Nope, metal, not plastic. I think the main advantage of Thule is the width, where needed, in addition to the interchangeability.

Thanks, PTguy. I just took delivery of the OEM crossbars and it is metal, like you said. It actually feels pretty decent for the price compared to the Thule alternative. I'm likely keeping it. The mounting design is terrible, though. They are meant to be permanently fixed on the vehicle and not to be taken off. Oh well.

Terrible design. Takes special tools and a ton of patience neither of which I have. I was going to take mine off when not in use but it's not worth the time, hassle and potential damage or not getting them back on. I'll sacrifice the 1mpg in lost gas mileage and just leave them on.

I agree with the terrible design. It's meant to be fixed permanently on the vehicle. I think I'll get the special tools like the Husky Accessory Set (19-Piece) with the 3/8 in. drive 8 in. flex extension which should allow for a regular torx bit to be used.

Latest posts

Back