New CX-5; 655 miles. Looking for tips on initial wax, care, etc.

I use SurfCity Garage Pacific Blue wash and wax - 2 bucket method, until you try it you wouldn't believe how dirty the rinse bucket gets and how clean the wash bucket stays... and then SurfCity Barrier Reef wax. Wax is applied like others have said in the shade or after sundown and not on a hot surface. I have used the same bottle for the last 3 years doing 2 cars at least twice a year and only now am I close to running out of the wax. The Surfcity costs a bit more but I have good results with it.

Attachments

• 2019Mazda.jpg
    2019Mazda.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 180
So I went on Amazon and there's a Surf City Garage 151 Pacific Blue Wash and Wax and there's a Surf City Garage 291 Pacific Blue Wash and Wax.

Which do you use?

I think they are all the same just different sizes. I bought just the 8oz size 495 as a trial. I'll probably buy the gallon size next.

Doing, "search," here didn't bring up what I was looking for, so...... Finally did it. Bought first ever Mazda, a CX-5 from Foothills Mazda, Spokane, Washington state. Has 655 miles on it now. Did NOT buy dealer sales pitch for high priced extended warranty policies OR their $800 initial, "wax/protectorate," option.
I asked a salesman yesterday how Mazda delivered cars to them. Meaning, no paint coating/protection, some factory coating, or did the dealer always, "wax," or otherwise do any helpful prep for delivery to buyer. He said if I didn't buy the extra stuff, I was getting simple, raw paint from Mazda - no dealer paint protection. Nothing from Mazda factory.
OK. So I'll begin waxing test spots today. For years I've used Meguiars products and currently have some of their, "Gold," liquid wax. I already read here Meguiars has an, "Ultimate," version of similar wax, so I might get that when I run out of this. Seems to me the Gold is a decent beginning.
Otherwise, what tips might any of you have as to how to begin care for our new car the best way?????
Thanks, Dennis

Yeah, I like Turtlewax Shine n Seal. I have used most stuff out there, including what you used, and nothing compares to the TW regarding long lasting water beading and water flying off the windshield like it was rain x ed that day...for months. Rejex came closest.

Also...

Ceramic tint
PPF
CrossContact Lx25 tires

That's my "mod list", and if my car were totalled today (2019 gtr), I'd go back asap and buy a Sg model, in that dark sparkly blue. Or white. Why? I should just spent 2k more and got top trim anyways. Just a mental thing, really. I'm not upset though.

I would suggest putting on a Paint Protection Film (PPF) around the front grill area, leading 18" of the hood, mirrors, and leading edge of the roof up to the sunroof(if you have it). There are kits available on the internet for all these areas. I went to a PPF installer who got the kit for just the front end(as there are so many bends and corners) but cut his own film for everywhere else. This will be up around a $1000+/-, but money well spent.

Do the whole hood. Due to airflow and vehicle shape, 100% of the hood takes rock hits on the cx5.

I got:

Whole hood
Whole front bumper
1/3 fenders
1/3 roof
All A pillar
The B and C pillar piano black
Headlights (had to be custom cut, no template for them)

Paid $1350

Ceramic windshield tint 80%?
Ceramic front windows 25%

$299

Do the whole hood. Due to airflow and vehicle shape, 100% of the hood takes rock hits on the cx5.

I got:

Whole hood
Whole front bumper
1/3 fenders
1/3 roof
All A pillar
The B and C pillar piano black
Headlights (had to be custom cut, no template for them)

Paid $1350

Ceramic windshield tint 80%?
Ceramic front windows 25%

$299

With only about leading 1/2 of the hood covered I have had absolutely no stone chips on the remaining part of the hood since having the PPF installed in Jan., 2019. Also, I can't see the value in covering the B and C pillars. How could they be exposed to stone chips? The only other part of my CX-5 I had covered were the front inside door sills which I drag my feet over and tap my feet against in the winter to knock the slush/snow off my boots.

Last edited:
With only about leading 1/2 of the hood covered I have had absolutely no stone chips on the remaining part of the hood since having the PPF installed in Jan., 2019.

My '04 Accord has only had the first 18" of the hood done with ppf since new. There have been hits from rocks large enough to cause small dents but the paint underneath the ppf looks good. There are no chips beyond the film. Not wanting a line showing across the CX-5 hood, I had the whole thing done. Within the first 1000 miles I took a rock to the windshield while going 80 mph, it was so loud I couldn't believe the glass didn't shatter. I though it was a direct hit, but at the next fuel stop I noticed a small nick on the hood about 6" from the glass. The ppf has a 1/8" cut in it but the paint underneath is ok. The film did it's job and I'm glad I did the whole front end.

Also, I can't see the value in covering the B and C pillars. How could they be exposed to stone chips?

The pillars are done to protect the piano black surfaces from getting scratched.

I have had PPF on the front my last three vehicles and would never buy another new vehicle without adding that. How much you cover depends on how OCD you are. Lol. I only did partial (18* or so) on the hoods but inevitably get a rock strike up there so my next vehicle will do the entire hood. I sold my 2010 RAV4 a month ago with over 100k miles on it. The PPF had been abused by gravel, brush, hot sun, baked on bugs, etc so I removed it before putting the vehicle up for sale. The front of that car looked like new. That is how well PPF works.

I wish I had thought to have PPF installed over the Piano Black on the shift console when I PPF'd my CX-5. Now THERE is one surface that really gets scratched easily!!!

Last edited:
Back