CX5 Signature Reverse Automatic Braking

amindu

Hello, we are interested in purchasing a 2019 CX5 Signature, but am having a hard time finding out if the vehicle automatically brakes upon reversing if an object is detected and the brakes are no applied. I know it has the rear cross traffic alert which makes audible sounds, but could not find anywhere where it brakes automatically. Thanks.

That's what the rearview camera is for. You look at the screen, see something and press the brake. Very easy.

I don't think it does. The warning is very effective, so always heed it. But it's not 100%, so always look.

My Reserve does not brake automatically, but I'm impressed with how it senses object in a 180 radius.

US model does not have SCBS-R (R for reverse).
'19 Mazda6 has the pedestrian detection (SCBS-F).
'19 CX5 does not have that, either.

FYI The 2019 CX-5 in fact does have Advanced Smart City Brake Support (forward) with pedestrian detection, based upon what I'm seeing in the Spec Deck (standard on all trims but the Sport)...and which activated the day I drove my current one home and freaked me out a bit. (wow)

FYI The 2019 CX-5 in fact does have Advanced Smart City Brake Support (forward) with pedestrian detection, based upon what I'm seeing in the Spec Deck (standard on all trims but the Sport)...and which activated the day I drove my current one home and freaked me out a bit. (wow)

Correct.

Advanced Smart City Brake Support with Pedestrian Detection operates under certain conditions between about 2 and 50 mph. Pedestrian detection operates at speeds above approximately 6 mph. Not a substitute for safe and attentive driving. Factors including movement and shape of the object in front of the vehicle, weather and road conditions can all impact automatic brake control and collision warning. Please see your Owner*s Manual for further details.

https://www.mazdausa.com/vehicles/cx-5/features

Hello, we are interested in purchasing a 2019 CX5 Signature, but am having a hard time finding out if the vehicle automatically brakes upon reversing if an object is detected and the brakes are no applied. I know it has the rear cross traffic alert which makes audible sounds, but could not find anywhere where it brakes automatically. Thanks.
Like ceric said, thiss a feature, Smart City Brake Support - Reverse, which has been offered in non-US / NA markets for many years but missing here. I hope Mazda North American Operations would add this feature soon.

US model does not have SCBS-R (R for reverse).

I have a '17 GT.
Based on Mazdausa.com details under Vehicles.... CX-5 Signature only has SCBS, while Mazda6 has the SCBS w/
CX5: Smart City Brake Support^10
Mazda6: Advanced Smart City Brake Support^12 with pedestrian detection
So, bad info on the website.

Owner's manual should be correct.

I have a '17 GT.
Based on Mazdausa.com details under Vehicles.... CX-5 Signature only has SCBS, while Mazda6 has the SCBS w/
CX5: Smart City Brake Support^10
Mazda6: Advanced Smart City Brake Support^12 with pedestrian detection
So, bad info on the website.

Owner's manual should be correct.
Not necessary. Many times the features described in the owner*s manual don*t exist. An example is the memory seat feature described in my 2016 CX-5 owner*s manual.

That's pretty funny.

I was within my first few days of ownership and came up on traffic a little too fast (I think) and the car braked and flashed BRAKE! on the HUD. I still play it back in my mind...did I really come up on them that quickly??? Hasn't happened since.

My owners manual lists all of the possible features with *(some models)* for many of the features, so they only have to make one manual for all trims. Just because it*s listed doesn*t necessarily mean that your particular vehicle has a specific feature.

That's pretty funny.

I was within my first few days of ownership and came up on traffic a little too fast (I think) and the car braked and flashed BRAKE! on the HUD. I still play it back in my mind...did I really come up on them that quickly??? Hasn't happened since.

Had the same experience which surprised the hell out of me. I was actually maneuvering around a stopped vehicle which my CX-5 must've felt I was too close for comfort. But to answer the OP's question, it does not auto brake in reverse only from the front. Although, I would hope nobody drives that fast in reverse to require such a thing. The sensors are actually overly sensitive IMO which can be a good thing but I ended up lowering the volume on the alert due to this reason.

But to answer the OP's question, it does not auto brake in reverse only from the front. Although, I would hope nobody drives that fast in reverse to require such a thing.

I believe the use of that feature is when backing down your driveway, etc., and there's a trash can or bicycle someone left in the way. Or maybe a kid comes riding down the sidewalk right behind you as you're backing out. Pretty much a Living In Suburbia Assist feature.

Sure, we should always [fill-in-the-blank], but humans are never perfect.

The feature is called "Rear Cross Traffic Alert", not braking.
The camera should alert an 'alert' driver of anything visible in his path.
RCTA is designed to help you be aware of dangers that you don't see yet.

Back