2017~2024 How bright are your 2018/2019 headlights?

the downside to using fogs with high beams is they tend to focus your attention closer to the car - you want it as far down the road as possible

exception for cornering maybe

An interesting theory, but I don't buy it. The high beams are so much brighter than the fogs. I always look where I want to go :)

(shrug)

All I know is that in foggy conditions, low beams and fog lights work better than high beams alone (or with fogs). If I turn the high beams on in clear conditions, the throw is further, but the low beam light is still present. Having fogs on in clear conditions provides very little (or no) benefit to me.

We absolutely agree about driving in fog. I just want to know why NHTSA won't let me use the fogs with the high beams. I can't imagine a reason, so that's why I'm asking. Unlike you, I think I would benefit from the extra illumination to the sides, which is one of the main functions of the fogs.

Does Canada allow fogs with high beams?

I was out last night and worried that the headlights were a little too bright for oncoming cars. I'm in a rural area with little ambient light, so you can tell how bright they are, especially compared to other cars. But no one flashed their lights at me as though they thought my high beams were on.

I also have the high beams on Automatic, and am impressed with how they kick back to low beams well before zapping the oncoming car (sensing lights from far away/over the horizon). I've had them kick off when driving near a house that has a bright front porch light.

I was out last night and worried that the headlights were a little too bright for oncoming cars. I'm in a rural area with little ambient light, so you can tell how bright they are, especially compared to other cars. But no one flashed their lights at me as though they thought my high beams were on.

I wonder if a lot of people are just getting used to super bright LEDs. Three years ago they would really piss me off, but not anymore. Maybe the cutoffs are better now.

I also have the high beams on Automatic, and am impressed with how they kick back to low beams well before zapping the oncoming car (sensing lights from far away/over the horizon). I've had them kick off when driving near a house that has a bright front porch light.

Yeah, that's a really effective feature. Love it. I've even had the full moon dim my lights, more than once.

the downside to using fogs with high beams is they tend to focus your attention closer to the car - you want it as far down the road as possible

exception for cornering maybe

BTW, this is not a theory but the result of testing by MB some years ago

they weren't using Mazda or moden headlights of course, and if you want you fog lights you can keep your fog lights

I wonder if a lot of people are just getting used to super bright LEDs. Three years ago they would really piss me off, but not anymore. Maybe the cutoffs are better now.

Yeah, that's a really effective feature. Love it. I've even had the full moon dim my lights, more than once.

Driving at dusk in my area is interesting. As you go through heavily shaded areas in the hollows, it gets just dark enough to kick on the headlights (and change the instrument cluster). Then you get out from under that set of trees, and the headlights go out and the instrument cluster reverts. Lather/rinse/repeat as you go down the road.

BTW, this is not a theory but the result of testing by MB some years ago

they weren't using Mazda or moden headlights of course, and if you want you fog lights you can keep your fog lights

Thanks for pointing that out. I've been reading, and have found many people mention that idea. I still can't relate to it personally, but I can see how some people might react that way.

But what I learned is that it's NOT the feds, it's the manufacturers. The feds consider fogs "supplemental equipment", and so don't care as long as they don't interfere with the headlights. Here's an interesting article.

Love the LEDs, but the auto dim could use work. It's all or nothing. A multi stage system as cars grow closer would be much nicer. My 2010 Jeep had a 3 stage system, and it worked great. Noone hi beamed me. I do get beamed a lot in the cx5.

Love the LEDs, but the auto dim could use work. It's all or nothing. A multi stage system as cars grow closer would be much nicer. My 2010 Jeep had a 3 stage system, and it worked great. Noone hi beamed me. I do get beamed a lot in the cx5.

Mazda has a more advanced system in Europe and Japan called ALH (or matrix/segment LED).
It uses a number of individual LEDs for each highbeam and turns them if depending on traffic.
But I don't think that kind of system is allowed in the US.

Thx for the article - it seems familiar.

There is certainly some part of the electromagnetic spectrum that is unaffected by fog... we just need to incorporate a beam of it, and sensors, into autonomous vehicles.

I've driven in really bad, bad fog (worst was not in the PNW where I live now, but in the Appalachians) - I've tried yellow fog lamps, white ones, and none (and wired every way you can think of) - hard to choose a consistent winner...

Just took my first drive in my Reserve without street lights in the dark this week. I am seriously amazed. I always felt the need to use my high beams on this road in my last car which was a pain because there's so many hills and turns and on/off was both pushed away from steering wheel slightly out of my fingers reach so I'd have to let go with one hand... With my Reserve the regular headlights are more than bright enough and love that they point into my turns with me!

Mazda has a more advanced system in Europe and Japan called ALH (or matrix/segment LED).
It uses a number of individual LEDs for each highbeam and turns them if depending on traffic.
But I don't think that kind of system is allowed in the US.

Not entirely true. Only the highest model called optimum has the matrix type light array that selectively lights up the road in front. The lower model vision plus has led light with turn function and auto headlight.

Not entirely true. Only the highest model called optimum has the matrix type light array that selectively lights up the road in front. The lower model vision plus has led light with turn function and auto headlight.

I know, I was just pointing out that Mazda does have a more advanced system which, for som reason, isn't approved in the US.

Mine has the ALH option, they are certainly entertaining to watch as they dip around cars in a kind of wave that follows their position on the road. Interestingly, they only use the variable cluster to swivel the beam in high beam only and are fixed in dip beam. They have additional LEDs that permanently light up the side periphery in dipped beam. I had a 2019 rental during my visit to Florida in June and that only swivelled in low beam. I found that to be a very acceptable alternative and certainly didn*t feel it was substandard. The range is better. They crank up to near searchlight level at 62 mph and are phenomenal. The lighting regs must be different here as you can leave the front fogs on with high beam and they add a little more light at kerb level (the law says they should only be used in poor visibility but doesn*t get upheld). Also, we can switch the DRLs off by switching the sidelights on which wasn*t possible with the rental.

Last edited:
So, the next question is... can the high-end Euro system be swapped in for the US system by an owner?

The headlights alone are $1008 each then I doubt they will plug and play. I think you might need a forward camera and the front body control module. I wouldn*t bother!

The headlights alone are $1008 each then I doubt they will plug and play. I think you might need a forward camera and the front body control module. I wouldn*t bother!
Yep, thiss next to impossible to swap in an ALH to US spec CX-5. Not just the ALH LED headlight unit itself, but many other components and software need to be involved. And its illegal to be used in the US too due to the very old DOT headlight rule that requires distinct low beam and high beam.

Toyota and Audi had filed a petition few years ago asking DOT to change the US headlight regulation. Unfortunately DOT turned it down claiming the change would cost too much to the consumers!

Itd take forever to make this excellent and reliable (comparing to our current mechanical AFS with many moving parts) headlight system legal in the US.

I asked this elsewhere but are there any upgrades available for the fog lights? I put Nightbreaker bulbs in my current vehicle and they are much brighter but not LED.

I asked this elsewhere but are there any upgrades available for the fog lights? I put Nightbreaker bulbs in my current vehicle and they are much brighter but not LED.

No, just keep OEM. They destroy the Nightbreakers. I had them on my past cx5.

Back