When is Mazda introducing a new transmission?

Fuel consumption needs to be improved and an eight speed might be the answer. Ed

And since we all agree that Mazda has made a great six speed, there's no reason to think they wouldn't make a great 8 speed.

IF it shifted as well, and hunted as little, as the current unit, it could improve the NA performance and driving experience in general.

Interesting comment. Care to elaborate? I was kinda hoping that the turbo version has enough zest to make AT worthwhile and keep me a Mazda client... What's your gripe with it?
I think you misread. His gripes have always been with the NA.

So where do you all want these 2 extra gears? Right now, 4th is 1:1 on any trim level and 5th and 6th or overdrive. Do you want 2 more gears added among 1st, 2nd and 3rd, or do you want one down low and another overdrive? Just curious.

So where do you all want these 2 extra gears? Right now, 4th is 1:1 on any trim level and 5th and 6th or overdrive. Do you want 2 more gears added among 1st, 2nd and 3rd, or do you want one down low and another overdrive? Just curious.

For me, first is good. I'd make 6th a longer OD, and use the other two to make all of them closer.
Or a wise guy could say "in between 1st and 6th, of course".

Hey, Brillo, I'm still wondering if your red paint has chips.

Hey, Brillo, I'm still wondering if your red paint has chips.

After 4 years, just a couple on the leading edge of the hood. No worse that any other car I've owned. I live in a rural are but avoid gravel roads when at all possible, so not an extreme test when compared to some others here.

Yeah, the SA A6 has proven stoopid reliable across all platforms, and it really just doesn't seem the A8 or A9s offer much if anything over it.
They offer better acceleration and better MPG that's why. There's a reason why companies don't use 4 speed automatics anymore.

Here is a better explanation of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQYVbfsw-w
Agreed. More gears can offer better acceleration and better MPG if the manufacture does it right. It's a much better option for fuel efficiency than using cylinder deactivation. That's how Toyota is approaching for more fuel efficiency from its new powertrain on Camry and RAV4, using high thermal efficiency engine and a 8-speed tranny. 8-speed or 9-speed auto tranny is especially useful for less-powerful engines, and it's simulating a CVT closely for efficiency.

I honestly think that the SkyActiv 6 speed is great. I gave up 12 years of driving manual transmissions after buying a couple of newer Mazda vehicles. The programming is excellent and the gear spacing is pretty good.

I honestly think that the SkyActiv 6 speed is great. I gave up 12 years of driving manual transmissions after buying a couple of newer Mazda vehicles. The programming is excellent and the gear spacing is pretty good.

After owning an automatic 2.5L CX5 for almost 3 years - I can nothing but disagree. Albeit - it all depends on your driving style.

As far as I'm concerned - I'm finding my self in total disagreement with what the AT is doing more often than I'd like to.

To give you an example, just today I was taking a long turn at a constant speed after which I need to accelerate. And as usual:
-through the turn the damn thing decides that we're just cruising and shoves it-self into 4th or 5th "to save fuel"
-when I'm starting to push her after the turn - she does exactly nothing because according to the idiot who wrote the algorithm - 1500-2500 is the perfect rpm range for accelerating
-when I push it more - she still does nothing while the poor, long-stroke, Skyactive engine sounds like it's about to vomit out all its bearings... hey - at least the engine is trying!
-then I push it even more and - finally- she decides to drop down a couple of gears - thus sending the engine into rpm range where it actually has some torque - all while twisting the crap out of engine and transmission mounts and with a violent jolt car starts picking up some speed. Yay! Zoom-zoom!

I really hate this transmission.

And this is just one of examples which is still fresh in memory and I'm going through a number of these on every drive. Not particularly enjoyable.

Last edited:
I suppose that's why we were given a manual mode. Ed

If i'll be stuck driving an AT in manual mode - I'd really prefer an honest stick and clutch.

And b.t.w. when on highway - I'm mostly in manual mode anyways as on uphills - when she's supposed to go down into the 5th or even 4th - she's sticking to the 6th due to "excellent programming".

After owning an automatic 2.5L CX5 for almost 3 years - I can nothing but disagree. Albeit - it all depends on your driving style.

As far as I'm concerned - I'm finding my self in total disagreement with what the AT is doing more often than I'd like to.

To give you an example, just today I was taking a long turn at a constant speed after which I need to accelerate. And as usual:
-through the turn the damn thing decides that we're just cruising and shoves it-self into 4th or 5th "to save fuel"
-when I'm starting to push her after the turn - she does exactly nothing because according to the idiot who wrote the algorithm - 1500-2500 is the perfect rpm range for accelerating
-when I push it more - she still does nothing while the poor, long-stroke, Skyactive engine sounds like it's about to vomit out all its bearings... hey - at least the engine is trying!
-then I push it even more and - finally- she decides to drop down a couple of gears - thus sending the engine into rpm range where it actually has some torque - all while twisting the crap out of engine and transmission mounts and with a violent jolt car starts picking up some speed. Yay! Zoom-zoom!

And this is just one of examples which is still fresh in memory and I'm going through a number of these on every drive. Not particularly enjoyable.

I'll agree that the AT has a tendency for downshifting faster than I necessarily want, but I can't help but feel your whole paragraph here is a bit blown out of proportion to "how bad it is". As a spirited driver, I've never really felt like the transmission hasn't responded in the way I want it to.

But I've also trained it real good too I suppose.

Honestly, it sounds like the system trained itself to your driving habits. I would do a remap.

Honestly, I don't find it to be that bad at all. I have a 2014 and it will downshift 1 gear with a little gas and 2-3 gears if I really stomp it. Exactly what I want. More is not always a good thing. I think they need it for marketing and not for any performance benefit.

Honestly, it sounds like the system trained itself to your driving habits. I would do a remap.

Honestly, I don't find it to be that bad at all. I have a 2014 and it will downshift 1 gear with a little gas and 2-3 gears if I really stomp it. Exactly what I want. More is not always a good thing. I think they need it for marketing and not for any performance benefit.

I agree. May try resetting the ECU Alex.

I agree. May try resetting the ECU Alex.

I'm open to the idea, but I have yet to see a clear set of instructions as to how to reset the AT's ECU. I remember coming across a youtube video with a fairly vague "procedure", but it didn't do anything for me at the time...

Last edited:
With all the stories of under-filled fluids and overinflated tires, every time I hear "poorly performing transmission" stories, I think fluid levels are the first thing to look at.

I sure wish it were easier to check. I'm still flabbergasted at the setup.

With all the stories of under-filled fluids and overinflated tires, every time I hear "poorly performing transmission" stories, I think fluid levels are the first thing to look at.

Agreed!

Having changed my CX-5's transmission fluid my-self with the following fluid level re-check - actually it wasn't so bad. What really left me on a wall - was the oil change on the current gen 4Runner. The amount of car we had to un-do in order to get to the oil filter - was insane and made zero sense - neither had the tools we had to buy... for a mere oil replacement!!!! That is having owned Toyotas, Nissans and Mazdas in the family along with 2005 and 2012 4Runners and having worked on most of them.

Last edited:
Back