When is Mazda introducing a new transmission?

:
Mazda3
Just curious but has anyone heard anything on the possibility of Mazda releasing a new or updated transmission? They've been using the same 6 speed auto across their entire lineup for 5-6 years now. I rode in the new Accord with the new 10 speed and it was really nice. Not saying Mazda should create a 10 speed, but a couple of more gears would be nice.

They need it. But I think we will see a Mazda 3 with a 2.5T before we see a 8 speed from Mazda...

To be fair, the 6 speed does pretty awesome. Comparable CUV's (output and weight) with 7-9 speeds aren't any faster.

Yeah, the SA A6 has proven stoopid reliable across all platforms, and it really just doesn't seem the A8 or A9s offer much if anything over it.

Yeah, I mean honest question, what's accomplished by adding a couple of gears? Is it an MPG thing? I honestly don't understand what's wrong with the 6-speed? To me, the 6 speed feels fantastic.

They offer better acceleration and better MPG that's why. There's a reason why companies don't use 4 speed automatics anymore.

Here is a better explanation of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCQYVbfsw-w

Just have to be careful not to go too many gears. I've seen too many people say it goes the other way and the car can't figure out what gear to be in.

Edit: Just saw the video link. Will check it out.

I wonder if manufacturers see any dip in sales when new technologies are introduced because a significant number of us don't want to be Early Adopters, or if (as we've discussed before) most people don't pay attention to things like "first year for the new transmission."

I'll take "has all the bugs worked out" any day of the week. But I've never been a bleeding edge guy.

The current 6 speed is great.To me, any more speeds is just more shifts the tranny has to make to get to target speed.The final top gear ratio wouldn't necessarily change unless horsepower or top speed changed.I mean, what's a few more speeds really gonna do for you?

The current 6 speed is great.To me, any more speeds is just more shifts the tranny has to make to get to target speed.The final top gear ratio wouldn't necessarily change unless horsepower or top speed changed.I mean, what's a few more speeds really gonna do for you?

With the turbo, not much. With the NA motor, it will keep it in the powerband better and allow better acceleration and fuel economy.

hahaha, please , don't get those mazda air fryer fanatics going on this thread !!

and I also agree, how many speeds do you need ! 6 is plenty , not unless you live
in germany or drive 90-100mph over extended distances ....

hahaha, please , don't get those mazda air fryer fanatics going on this thread !!

and I also agree, how many speeds do you need ! 6 is plenty , not unless you live
in germany or drive 90-100mph over extended distances ....

Top speed has nothing to do with it. It's all area under the curve vs. parasitic loss and shift times.

Back