New Owners - Check your Tire PSI

Says a lot for our suspension that the car feels good over a wide range of pressures.
Some better than others.

After reading check your psi, I decided to have a look at our CX-5, purchased last month. Sitting overnight, tires were in mid 40 psi range. I also found a bag in the glove box with the optional wheel locks and key. I think the saying "Unencumbered by the thought process" applies here. Dealer prep? Nah, it looks fine. Tires are black and they look round, it's OK. Makes me wonder what else they missed in the pre-delivery.

I run my CX5 tires at the recommended pressure of 34 psi overnight cold, which is the best all around pressure regarding safety, ride and longevity. If you vary more the 10%, you give up something. Ed

Tires are too mushy at 34 PSI on my Touring with the 17 inchers. I prefer 36-37.

Factory recommended pressure is 35 PSI all the way around. I run mine at 36 cold. I do a walk around every couple of weeks to check pressures and inspect for nails in the tread. I have found that depending on the season, tires need to be adjusted + or - 3 or 4 lbs to bring them to the
optimum pressure.
There is no excuse for the dealer letting a new car off the lot with pressures more than 10 PSI over spec. And there is no excuse for an owner not to confirm his or her pressures not only immediately after taking delivery but at regular intervals. A few minutes time will ensure that the tires do not wear prematurely and may prevent you from getting a flat from a puncture.

Checked tires on day 2 of ownership, 52+ PSI all around! Vehicle produced in April 2019.

Interesting Mazda quirk. But also an unnecessary one. I don't know why Mazda would choose to ship the cars with pressures that high when no one else does that. Of course some of the dealers aren't going to check. Credit the car rides as good as it does at that high level goes to the shocks and independent rear suspension setup.

Last edited:
If the dealier wasn't interested enough to check tire pressures then they skipped everything that wasn't in sight.

I agree. I only used this dealer because they had the best all in price on a sport AWD with Activsense package and factory hitch installed.

I like your "typo" too btw! Have worked in the industry for a few years. Everyone in it is a liar.

Last edited:
Checked tires on day 2 of ownership, 52+ PSI all around! Vehicle produced in April 2019.

Interesting Mazda quirk. But also an unnecessary one. I don't know why Mazda would choose to ship the cars with pressures that high when no one else does that. Of course some of the dealers aren't going to check. Credit the car rides as good as it does at that high level goes to the shocks and independent rear suspension setup.

I would call and chew them out so they will get their act together. I let them know a month ago and apparently Quirk didn't address the issue.
edit..I saw the word Quirk and assumed it was the dealer Quirk Mazda in Quincy, MA..lol

Last edited:
I would call and chew them out so they will get their act together. I let them know a month ago and apparently Quirk didn't address the issue.
edit..I saw the word Quirk and assumed it was the dealer Quirk Mazda in Quincy, MA..lol

I think it's safe to say there's a lot of CX-5s with overinflated tires on dealer lots right now.

With BMW and Lexus, we never inflated the tires very far beyond spec, and plenty of them sat around for 6-10 months. No problems with flat-spotting.

The vehicle won't ride as good as it could on a test drive because of this.

Thanks for posting this OP!

We took delivery of our Touring w/preferred pkg three days ago and I checked the pressure this morning. Yep...50 psi all the way around! I'll be calling my sales guy this morning just as a friendly reminder they dropped the ball on the pre-delivery inspection.

Thanks again OP!

This thread is very useful as I haven't taken delivery yet. What should the pressure be? I find using nitrogen keeps the tires from losing pressure over long periods

This thread is very useful as I haven't taken delivery yet. What should the pressure be? I find using nitrogen keeps the tires from losing pressure over long periods

The manufacturer recommended PSI should be on a sticker on the driver's door jamb. Should be something like 32-36 psi.

Had the same thing here in the uk with a brand new CX-5. Tyre pressure way too high....interestingly I expected the tyre pressure monitor to complain when I dropped the pressure but nothing happened. Maybe because I dropped them all with the ignition off.

Had the same thing here in the uk with a brand new CX-5. Tyre pressure way too high....interestingly I expected the tyre pressure monitor to complain when I dropped the pressure but nothing happened. Maybe because I dropped them all with the ignition off.

Your comment made me go look at my manual. I've only had my CX-5 a few months.

Everything I read about the tyre pressure monitoring system says it alarms off of low pressure and not a rate of decrease...according to the Mazda manual.

There are so many rabbit holes to go down with all of these systems.

Should really sticky this thread.

Mazda North America's number is 1 (800) 222-5500 if you want to let them know. 40psi would be excessive, 50+ is just crazy.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this OP!

We took delivery of our Touring w/preferred pkg three days ago and I checked the pressure this morning. Yep...50 psi all the way around! I'll be calling my sales guy this morning just as a friendly reminder they dropped the ball on the pre-delivery inspection.

Thanks again OP!

did you happen to purchase in MA

did you happen to purchase in MA

No sir...College Station, Texas.

A side note, I found the blank pre-delivery inspection sheet (with a yellow carbon copy) folded inside the cloth pouch for the owners manual. The cloth pouch, the PDI sheet, and a few other documets were in unopened shrink wrap.

Interestingly, one of the other items in the shrink wrapped pouch was a sticker that was supposed to be signed by the tech who completed the PDI. It was then to be placed in the driver's door jamb.

My salesman/dealership dropped the ball and they're going to hear about it!

Back