New Owners - Check your Tire PSI

bought early July from Quirk in MA, just checked and all tires where at 50 PSI.
Anything else I should be checking that was supposed to be checked at the dealer? I through out the inspection sheet, looked like everything was checked off.

Wow that*s high. I*ve always had the opposite problem of the tires being way too low. It doesn*t hurt to check all of the other fluid levels like oil and coolant. Mazda has a habit of those being right at the min mark from the factory. No need to top off if it*s at min though, just make sure you*re not under or over filled.

Having been aware from past experiences that in most cases new cars have the tires grossly over inflated at delivery I asked my dealer to check the pressures when doing the pre-delivery prep on my new GT-R. I drove the 20 miles home and checked them with my gauge. All four were at 45 lbs.instead of the specified 35 PSI. Bring a gauge with you when picking up a new car, especially if you have to drive more than a few miles back home.

Are the tires even rated for that high of a pressure? Almost all tires I*ve seen have a max pressure on the sidewall.

BTW, mine were all at 32psi when I brought it home.

emailed dealer, guy said his car on way to work also had 50 PSI and light came on and was told it was from the extreme heat.
I say BS to that. I checked this morning after sitting all night and all 4 were at 50 PSI. It was 88 degrees here yesterday.

Tires are shipped over-inflated to prevent flat spotting in case a vehicle sits in storage for an extended period. Tire temps going down the road rise an average of about 50 degrees which translates into a 5 psi pressure increase assuming the starting pressure was 35. Player11's dealer just plain forgot to check. No chance of tire failure from 50psi though, just a firm ride and improved fuel economy. Your average tire in good condition will fail at around 200 psi.

yes, I was liking the 26.7 MPG on my first tank of gas driving non highway miles. I guess 50 PSI will do that.
Sad thing is I didn't notice the ride being all that firm..lol

Dealer is supposed to perform a pre-delivery check, and the checklist should be included in the documents you got from them.
Tire PSI check is one of the checks.
Indeed the cars have 50PSI when they got out of factories to avoid flat spotting while sitting on the cargo ship or parking lots.
When we got ours, the CX5 drove smoothly. My wife decided to change color at the last minute w/o doing another testdrive.
On our way back, the CX5 felt bumpy. After arriving home, I checked the PSI. It was 44PSI.

Last edited:
Right.

AND the delivery charge that you paid includes that service. It might be fun to ask the dealer for a rebate, and ask what else they did not do that they were supposed to...

Lazy techs at the dealership skipping steps in the pre-delivery process.
They do the minimum they can get away with, check off all the boxes, and figure no-one will be the wiser.
Besides lazy, they are probably the junior techs, with little or no training, so they don't give a crap.
I'd document the over inflated tire incident, and make sure the manager at the dealership gets a copy, and make sure he knows that you're pissed.

They do the minimum they can get away with, check off all the boxes, and figure no-one will be the wiser.
Besides lazy, they are probably the junior techs, with little or no training, so they don't give a crap.
I'd document the over inflated tire incident, and make sure the manager at the dealership gets a copy, and make sure he knows that you're pissed.

you got me fired up...so I just sent off another email

Just so you feel better about your safety, many people air up their tires that high for better MPGs.

I dont have a CX5 yet, but on my last car, I had my front tires at 46 psi and rear tires at 42psi. Although those tires max sidewall pressure is listed at 54 psi. My cars door jamb sticker pressure listed 32 psi.

As a tire installer in the past, Ive had tires at 100 psi. Even though they didnt explode, THAT is dangerous.

Those are the same guys that do your Paint/Fabric Protection for $250.

Expurtz

Those are the same guys that do your Paint/Fabric Protection for $250.

Expurtz

And use Brillo pads to wash and dry the car for your service courtesy wash. (The scratches are built in from the factory sir, it's a bonus sir, you have a unique car with a nice matte effect.)

Mine were 37,38,41, and 43 cold. I put a gauge to them when I discovered the TPMS was only half a system and didnt provide individual readings. Heck, Ive got an 11 year old Infiniti as well as my last three new cars have individual readings to keep you on top of the air pressure.

If the dealier wasn't interested enough to check tire pressures then they skipped everything that wasn't in sight. I would do a complete inspection myself, including engine oil level, and inform the dealer of their very poor new car service. Ed

Brought my CX5 in May, running around 45PSI the whole time until last week when I checked. To be honest, the ride isn't bad at all. I may just keep it somewhere around 40PSI since I'm going away on vacation soon and the car will be sitting in a garage for 3 weeks.

Back