Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Owners - Check your Tire PSI

Registered Member

New Owners - Check your Tire PSI

bought early July from Quirk in MA, just checked and all tires where at 50 PSI.
    Anything else I should be checking that was supposed to be checked at the dealer? I through out the inspection sheet, looked like everything was checked off.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

Wow that*s high. I*ve always had the opposite problem of the tires being way too low. It doesn*t hurt to check all of the other fluid levels like oil and coolant. Mazda has a habit of those being right at the min mark from the factory. No need to top off if it*s at min though, just make sure you*re not under or over filled.

Registered Member

I read that they are shipped at 50 PSI, so obviously dealer did not check.

Registered Member

Mazda CX 5 GT-R

Having been aware from past experiences that in most cases new cars have the tires grossly over inflated at delivery I asked my dealer to check the pressures when doing the pre-delivery prep on my new GT-R. I drove the 20 miles home and checked them with my gauge. All four were at 45 lbs.instead of the specified 35 PSI. Bring a gauge with you when picking up a new car, especially if you have to drive more than a few miles back home.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 GTR

Are the tires even rated for that high of a pressure? Almost all tires I*ve seen have a max pressure on the sidewall.

BTW, mine were all at 32psi when I brought it home.

Registered Member

emailed dealer, guy said his car on way to work also had 50 PSI and light came on and was told it was from the extreme heat.
    I say BS to that. I checked this morning after sitting all night and all 4 were at 50 PSI. It was 88 degrees here yesterday.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 White Pearl Sig

Tires are shipped over-inflated to prevent flat spotting in case a vehicle sits in storage for an extended period. Tire temps going down the road rise an average of about 50 degrees which translates into a 5 psi pressure increase assuming the starting pressure was 35. Player11's dealer just plain forgot to check. No chance of tire failure from 50psi though, just a firm ride and improved fuel economy. Your average tire in good condition will fail at around 200 psi.

Registered Member

yes, I was liking the 26.7 MPG on my first tank of gas driving non highway miles. I guess 50 PSI will do that.
    Sad thing is I didn't notice the ride being all that firm..lol

Registered Member

coolant level is also about 2 inches above the full line in the reservoir

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Dealer is supposed to perform a pre-delivery check, and the checklist should be included in the documents you got from them.
    Tire PSI check is one of the checks.
    Indeed the cars have 50PSI when they got out of factories to avoid flat spotting while sitting on the cargo ship or parking lots.
    When we got ours, the CX5 drove smoothly. My wife decided to change color at the last minute w/o doing another testdrive.
    On our way back, the CX5 felt bumpy. After arriving home, I checked the PSI. It was 44PSI.
    Last edited by ceric; 08-10-2019 at 06:45 PM.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

Right.

AND the delivery charge that you paid includes that service. It might be fun to ask the dealer for a rebate, and ask what else they did not do that they were supposed to...

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

Lazy techs at the dealership skipping steps in the pre-delivery process.
    They do the minimum they can get away with, check off all the boxes, and figure no-one will be the wiser.
    Besides lazy, they are probably the junior techs, with little or no training, so they don't give a crap.
    I'd document the over inflated tire incident, and make sure the manager at the dealership gets a copy, and make sure he knows that you're pissed.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    They do the minimum they can get away with, check off all the boxes, and figure no-one will be the wiser.
    Besides lazy, they are probably the junior techs, with little or no training, so they don't give a crap.
    I'd document the over inflated tire incident, and make sure the manager at the dealership gets a copy, and make sure he knows that you're pissed.
    you got me fired up...so I just sent off another email

Registered Member

Just so you feel better about your safety, many people air up their tires that high for better MPGs.

I dont have a CX5 yet, but on my last car, I had my front tires at 46 psi and rear tires at 42psi. Although those tiresí max sidewall pressure is listed at 54 psi. My carís door jamb sticker pressure listed 32 psi.

As a tire installer in the past, Iíve had tires at 100 psi. Even though they didnt explode, THAT is dangerous.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    Those are the same guys that do your Paint/Fabric Protection for $250.

Expurtz

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast