Bought used CX-9 transmission oil?

maz923

Hi there

I am new to Mazda wourld. I just bought a second hand cx9 2008. its about 180k

now i notied the tranny oil is a bit brown, is that normal? I asked the dealer to change the oil but he says it look good.

My experience with other cars is that tranny oil should be red. This one is brown to black !

do i need to flush it? or just drain and fill? does it has a filter to replace?
Lastly, what oil brand should i buy and how many.? I prefer to DIY

Thank you

It is normal for ATF to pick up some color from the harmless wear bits from the clutch faces.

The only time its a bad idea to change the fluid is when the transmission is failing. New fluid makes a failing transmission fail sooner due to stirring up debris that should remain settled in the bottom.

Buy ATF from the dealership parts counter or do some research on transmission fluid makers' sites to find a replacement. A full flush is always best. Three or four drains & refills are an alternative.

I like to install a Magnefine or Filtran in-line filter in the fluid line to the cooler. These are often sold with different labels, but the appearance is the telltale. https://magnefinefilters.com/main.sc

Last edited:
It is normal for ATF to pick up some color from the harmless wear bits from the clutch faces.

The only time its a bad idea to change the fluid is when the transmission is failing. New fluid makes a failing transmission fail sooner due to stirring up debris that should remain settled in the bottom.

Buy ATF from the dealership parts counter or do some research on transmission fluid makers' sites to find a replacement. A full flush is always best. Three or four drains & refills are an alternative.

I like to install a Magnefine or Filtran in-line filter in the fluid line to the cooler. These are often sold with different labels, but the appearance is the telltale. https://magnefinefilters.com/main.sc

Thanks for the info. Filter is pretty good idea.

Toyota T-iv atf fluid is same as motorcraft/Mazda. But Toyota sells it for much less. I have drained and refilled once. I have 102, 000 miles and fwd, she shifts like new still. Mine was somewhere between red and brown. Have read that if you have any shifting problems that draining can turn your trans into a pile of junk.

Back