Mazda 3/5 Similarities [interchangeable parts]

phreak074

:
MAZDA5 09 5spd
Recently I purchased a used 2009 Mazda 5 MTX to haul people around and have as a daily driver. So far it's been fun commuting to work and packing it up with people on a night out =)

I'm looking for a good reference to show all or many of the interchangeable parts for the MAZDA 3 and MAZDA 5, since after market parts seem to be very difficult to find for the 5. I have come across it in the forums every now and again, but when I tried searching for it I came up with nothing.

From my understanding the Mazda 5 shares the engine and some parts of the chassis?

I'm hoping someone has already listed this somewhere in the forum but if not maybe this thread could help someone else looking for parts (2thumbs)

Some are same, some are different. 5 is not a mod friendly car, get something else if you are into heavy mods and don't want to be the only one doing it :)
When you say parts, do you need to repair things or just looking to spend money on stuff for the fun of it?
when looking for parts, easy enough to look up by your model anyway, I don't think there is a "list" per say.
rockauto, when you look for a part, it will give what other cars it is used on.

Almost everything in the drivetrain is shared. Suspension, brakes, engines/transmissions to a degree- all can be swapped around. I ended up with Mazdaspeed 3 brakes and rear sway bar, Miata wheels, Mazda 3 2.0 oil filter setup. Think of the 5 as basically a stretched 3 with sliding doors in the middle.

A slightly different question below. Other than the Miata, the Mazda world still has very little aftermarket support.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123809525-What-Mazdaspeed3-Parts-Fit-Mazda5

If I had another <10 MTX, I'd do the following, in order.
MS3 RSB (+endlinks+bushings)
MS3 steering wheel (or Mz3/Mz5 GT, leather feels SO much better in your hands)
MS3 gas pedal (unless you don't care to heel toe)
MS3 calipers (+rotors+pads)
Taller 5th gear swap (drop HWY rev)

A slightly different question below. Other than the Miata, the Mazda world still has very little aftermarket support.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123809525-What-Mazdaspeed3-Parts-Fit-Mazda5

If I had another <10 MTX, I'd do the following, in order.
MS3 RSB (+endlinks+bushings)
MS3 steering wheel (or Mz3/Mz5 GT, leather feels SO much better in your hands)
MS3 gas pedal (unless you don't care to heel toe)
MS3 calipers (+rotors+pads)
Taller 5th gear swap (drop HWY rev)

I was going to swap the 6 speed transmission over- seems like a better setup for only $1k without having to dig inside for gear swaps. I'm pretty sure I verified that the axles, trans case interface, and clutches were all the same between the 5 and 6 speeds.

I was going to swap the 6 speed transmission over- seems like a better setup for only $1k without having to dig inside for gear swaps. I'm pretty sure I verified that the axles, trans case interface, and clutches were all the same between the 5 and 6 speeds.
I dunno. $1K or $200 (realistically <$50 from salvage yard and I'd search for the diesel 5th). The beauty of the 5th gear swap is not needing to dig into trans. You can access the cover by removing drive wheel. The time/effort to drop and swap the whole trans is a lot more effort compared to ~2h labor for just swapping 5th. Incremental benefit at incremental cost I suppose.

I dunno. $1K or $200 (realistically <$50 from salvage yard and I'd search for the diesel 5th). The beauty of the 5th gear swap is not needing to dig into trans. You can access the cover by removing drive wheel. The time/effort to drop and swap the whole trans is a lot more effort compared to ~2h labor for just swapping 5th. Incremental benefit at incremental cost I suppose.

Oh right, forgot that the 5th could be swapped from the outside of the case. I was looking to do this back in 2012 when the 6 speeds had just come out.

Back