My Thoughts Driving a 2019 GT

... What a terrible commercial. They're trying to sell you a lifestyle instead of a car. If they just showed the MSRP, no discounting or anything, that would at least get me to google the car to see why anyone would pay $XXXXX for it, which would lead me to compare it against others in its class (and maybe the entry level luxury class above it).

Nah, instead let's show the passenger fondling the clouds and the driver cupping the sun.

I wonder if the a/c feels better because (1) it's a fresh charge vs your 4-5 year old car, and (2) this generation has better soundproofing/insulation.

Well, the fan actually blew the air out the vents much stronger in the 2019. Regarding the cold, I recharged mine last summer.

... What a terrible commercial. They're trying to sell you a lifestyle instead of a car. If they just showed the MSRP, no discounting or anything, that would at least get me to google the car to see why anyone would pay $XXXXX for it, which would lead me to compare it against others in its class (and maybe the entry level luxury class above it).

Nah, instead let's show the passenger fondling the clouds and the driver cupping the sun.

Yea I think one reviewer called their ads Lost in translation which I think is about right lol.

Omg, I just watched that commercial. They're getting worse...

They ALL try to sell a lifestyle.

Every single one of them is either taking your kid to "hear the trees talk to each other" (good thing the wind was blowing right then) or going skiing or camping or any of those other things you don't do right now and couldn't possibly get to in your current vehicle.

But Mazda has elevated this to a higher level. This is from their 2018 financials:

"Based on our Corporate Vision, this new long-term vision aims to resolve issues facing people, the earth, and society through the utilization of driving pleasure, which represents the fundamental appeal of the automobile.

Going forward, we hope to create a future in which people, the earth, and society can coexist with cars, to enrich peoples lives through a car ownership experience that celebrates driving, and to become a brand with which customers feel a strong emotional connection.
"

Dude, are there any Fritos left?

I wouldn't presume to tell you about your commute. I'm glad it worked well for you. It didn't for me.
Your commute is a problem then, not the 2.5L NA for a majority of drivers. But thats why Mazda offers the Turbo now and if more power is wanted its available.

I won't slam the turbo in any way, its great and is priced accordingly.

They ALL try to sell a lifestyle.

Every single one of them is either taking your kid to "hear the trees talk to each other" (good thing the wind was blowing right then) or going skiing or camping or any of those other things you don't do right now and couldn't possibly get to in your current vehicle.

But Mazda has elevated this to a higher level. This is from their 2018 financials:

"Based on our Corporate Vision, this new long-term vision aims to resolve issues facing people, the earth, and society through the utilization of driving pleasure, which represents the fundamental appeal of the automobile.

Going forward, we hope to create a future in which people, the earth, and society can coexist with cars, to enrich people*s lives through a car ownership experience that celebrates driving, and to become a brand with which customers feel a strong emotional connection.
"

Dude, are there any Fritos left?

You left out putting the family dog in the ads...

My SUV is the main dogmobile...

Your commute is a problem then, not the 2.5L NA for a majority of drivers. But thats why Mazda offers the Turbo now and if more power is wanted its available.

I won't slam the turbo in any way, its great and is priced accordingly.

I guess. Maybe in Texas the turbo is best. I'm driving across Oklahoma and Tx now. 28.2 mpg so far. Better than my 2015.

Last edited:
Were you able to find 0% ethanol? On my GTI that makes a pretty big difference.

I only know of one gas station around here that offers zero Ethanol and only in 87 octane. Not top tier though.

I recently discovered some of our local BP stations have it for premium. Ive been using it in the GTI for the last month and saw as high as 38 MPG! Dont really get over low 30s on 10% ethanol. The station I used previously changed owners and is no longer top tier.

Were you able to find 0% ethanol? On my GTI that makes a pretty big difference.

I started with 0% ethanol, then switched to E10. I did not notice any real difference in mpg until speeds picked up around the toll around Austin to 80-85, when it dropped to 27.3 finally at the end of my trip.

Omg, I just watched that commercial. They're getting worse...

No kidding. Come on Mazda.

Another thing I forgot to add to the review...I've always been kind of an anti-sunroof (or moonroof, whatever the hell they call it) guy, so I do not have one in my 2014. But it was actually kinda fun to have. Still I'd hate to get caught in a hailstorm with one, but maybe that's me being paranoid. I don't know.

Back