Black window trim?

Hello! I have been looking for options to get rid of the chrome window trim. I can't seem to find black replacement pieces, only more chrome pieces to add.

I have never used any type of vinyl wrap and it doesn't seem to be all that cheap to buy. I have also looked at plasti dip as an option, but how durable would it be? Also, how easy are the window trim pieces to remove without damaging them? Does anyone know what part numbers they are so maybe I can just get new pieces and replace the old?

I am really just looking for recommendations for the best way to go about it, whether DIY vinyl, plast dip, or maybe even paying someone to wrap the pieces..

Sorry if this has been asked before, I was looking around but couldn't find anything specific. And I don't really want to have to redo it every few years.

Thanks for any help!

Hello! I have been looking for options to get rid of the chrome window trim. I can't seem to find black replacement pieces, only more chrome pieces to add.

I have never used any type of vinyl wrap and it doesn't seem to be all that cheap to buy. I have also looked at plasti dip as an option, but how durable would it be? Also, how easy are the window trim pieces to remove without damaging them? Does anyone know what part numbers they are so maybe I can just get new pieces and replace the old?

I am really just looking for recommendations for the best way to go about it, whether DIY vinyl, plast dip, or maybe even paying someone to wrap the pieces..

Sorry if this has been asked before, I was looking around but couldn't find anything specific. And I don't really want to have to redo it every few years.

Thanks for any help!

Plastidip is going to be the cheapest and fastest route. Just make sure you do a good job taping everything off and covering the vehicle. I usually go to the dollar store and buy a couple of decks of playing cards to stick in all the cracks. They work great when you want to "tape off" a certain area of a vehicle that has odd angles and curves. For example, when I paint a set of wheels...

attachment.php
[/IMG]

If you don't want to redo it, I'd go with vinyl wrap. In my experience, plastidip never really holds up over time. I'm sure there's some place local to you that does wraps and I would think that just wrapping those few chrome pieces would not be that expensive.

Another option if you have a 2019 is to buy the A-spec black trim. It'll probably be expensive, but It'll be OEM definitely hold up over time.

Last edited:
Hah. That playing card trick is a cool idea. Thanks for sharing.

SIM brand Trim Black. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
It will look like it came from the factory. My old P5 began to rust on the B pillars badly, so I stripped off the coating, dealt with the rust and painted the pillars. It looks perfect...slight texture, not reflective, and should last forever; unlike the rubber crap Mazda put there that did nothing but catch rainwater.

I don't have a before pic, but here's one from the middle of filling the hole, and a finished pic.

p5paint.4.jpg

p5paint.3.jpg

I usually go to the dollar store and buy a couple of decks of playing cards to stick in all the cracks. They work great when you want to "tape off" a certain area of a vehicle that has odd angles and curves. For example, when I paint a set of wheels...

That's pretty cool. I'll sure make use of this.

That card trick is really cool - I may just use thst for some other projects even if I go a different route with the trim!!!

A-spec black trim? Could you point me to the right direction? I've looked for trim but been unable to find any.

That sim brand trim stuff looks really cool! I'm assuming it's a bit more permanent than plastidip too.

Thanks everyone!

Hmmm, I hadnt heard about the A-spec black trim. I have to agree that the chrome window trim looks awful to me.

If you don't want to redo it, I'd go with vinyl wrap. In my experience, plastidip never really holds up over time. I'm sure there's some place local to you that does wraps and I would think that just wrapping those few chrome pieces would not be that expensive.

Another option if you have a 2019 is to buy the A-spec black trim. It'll probably be expensive, but It'll be OEM definitely hold up over time.

Hmmm, I hadnt heard about the A-spec black trim. I have to agree that the chrome window trim looks awful to me.

I was just randomly reading over this thread again and realized the A Spec I was referring to is for the Acura RDX. Sorry, I'm currently cross shopping vehicles and had the Acura on the brain I guess. (hand)

I was just randomly reading over this thread again and realized the A Spec I was referring to is for the Acura RDX. Sorry, I'm currently cross shopping vehicles and had the Acura on the brain I guess. (hand)

All good! Thanks man! I'll probably check at work where we had a couple sales guy vehicles wrapped and see how much that might be! Wish mazda had options for black instead of all the chrome! Good luck with your shopping!

Back