Potential New Owner Question about tailgate

terryscott621

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
My wife has been test driving a few vehicles to see what she really likes and the CX-5 Signature is at the top of her list. One thing we didn't think to ask our sales person on our test drive was the height of the tailgate when it's fully open. Does anyone know the height would be? I know the CX-5 will fit length wise in our garage, but I'm not sure about having the rear hatch open all the way if it will hit our garage door. Anyone have any issues with this? Our current garage door height is 7'4" with the garage door open.

Other then hitting your head on it all the time as it doesn*t open enough. Mine as high as it goes was fine with a low ass garage door where the car nearly hit the door going into the garage. But yes you can adjust it easy.

I am 6'5". The hatch will not hit your garage door, however.I have whacked my head on it enough times that I had to put bright yellow "Watch Your Head" stickers on the inside of the tailgate.

7 feet even is adequate clearance the way it comes adjusted from the factory on my 17.

Awesome!!! Thanks for the help everyone.

We're going to test drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee this weekend just because I feel like my wife needs to drive a third vehicle to be sure she loves the CX-5 enough to buy one, but I already know the CX-5 is going to win out over the Jeep.

Awesome!!! Thanks for the help everyone.

We're going to test drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee this weekend just because I feel like my wife needs to drive a third vehicle to be sure she loves the CX-5 enough to buy one, but I already know the CX-5 is going to win out over the Jeep.

it's not even a comparison ;)

it's not even a comparison ;)

Trust me, I know it won't be. Originally we were cross shopping a 2020 Acura RDX SH-AWD vs the 2019 CX-5 Signature and the CX-5 absolutely blew the RDX away in every aspect except exterior styling (I still think the RDX is a good looking vehicle). My wife likes how the Grand Cherokee's look, but I don't think they measure up feature wise when looking at a comparably priced model. The only thing I really like about the Grand Cherokee's is their towing capacity. We just want to do our due diligence before we make a decision.

Just so you know, here's how easy it is to adjust the max opening height: put the liftgate where you want it to stop, and hold the Open/Close button for 3 seconds.

Good luck on the purchase. I recently got a Reserve and absolutely love it.

...we were cross shopping a 2020 Acura RDX SH-AWD vs the 2019 CX-5 Signature and the CX-5 absolutely blew the RDX away in every aspect except exterior styling (I still think the RDX is a good looking vehicle). ...

It beats it by more than just styling, which I think is very minor. We also cross shopped the 2. the RDX wins with the pano roof, more space, better sound system and a few others. It was the almost $10k price difference that made the CX-5 the no brainer choice for us. :)

Just so you know, here's how easy it is to adjust the max opening height: put the liftgate where you want it to stop, and hold the Open/Close button for 3 seconds.

Ours will not remember the highest setting possible. It seems to have a memory max, which is about 3" lower than the highest manual setting.

My wife has been test driving a few vehicles to see what she really likes and the CX-5 Signature is at the top of her list. One thing we didn't think to ask our sales person on our test drive was the height of the tailgate when it's fully open. Does anyone know the height would be? I know the CX-5 will fit length wise in our garage, but I'm not sure about having the rear hatch open all the way if it will hit our garage door. Anyone have any issues with this? Our current garage door height is 7'4" with the garage door open.
A good dealer will let you drive the car to your house to test the size in your garage. You should do this.

Ours will not remember the highest setting possible. It seems to have a memory max, which is about 3" lower than the highest manual setting.

So you can manually push the thing higher than the highest automatic setting will allow?

Now I gotta get out and try mine. I have not reset it since I bought the car, because I park outside and don't worry about opening too high.

So you can manually push the thing higher than the highest automatic setting will allow?

Now I gotta get out and try mine. I have not reset it since I bought the car, because I park outside and don't worry about opening too high.

Yes, I'm 6'4" and need more height. At max it still doesn't hit the garage door for me.

Back