Reusing Crush Washer

With so many people reporting reusing the washers without ill effects, it seems safe to say that the necessity of changing them every time is an urban legend. Also just another easy profit center for the dealers.

good practice is to reduce the risk of a major catastrophe - and more so than when it is a minor annoyance

the dealer must make 30 cents profit on each crush washer

that being said, I have reused crush washers several times in the last 50 years

the old ones can be tossed into your metal recycling - say, a tin can you fill up; here, it goes in with paper recycling and they pluck it out at the transfer stn.

good practice is to reduce the risk of a major catastrophe - and more so than when it is a minor annoyance

the dealer must make 30 cents profit on each crush washer

that being said, I have reused crush washers several times in the last 50 years

the old ones can be tossed into your metal recycling - say, a tin can you fill up; here, it goes in with paper recycling and they pluck it out at the transfer stn.

Agree that it's good practice, but can't see how reuse could lead to a major catastrophe. A small leak at worst. And anybody who changes their own oil is going to be aware of that before it becomes a major problem. Because they pay attention.

If anyone has ever had a problem caused by crush washer reuse, let's hear about it.

Either way, change it or not. Trivial.

I bought a $38,500 Mazda Signature and now I am staying up nights...unable to sleep....wondering if I should save a $1.00 and reuse the crush washer. I just realized...there was a commercial about that concept...remember every time you save that $1.00..."Pay Me Now or Pay Me Later".

I did my first oil & filter change on my GT-R yesterday at just over 1200 miles. The Drain Plug Gasket - Mazda (9956-41-400) is correct and the factory filter that was installed on the car was a PY8W-14-302.
I had a pack of new crush washers handy and another factory filter. I had been thinking about using an oversize Mobil 1-110 or Fram Ultra #XG7317 filter for future oil changes but it appears that the plastic access panel on the underbody shroud may not provide enough clearance. The # 110 measures 3.62" high. The factory equivalent Mobil 1 # 108 measures 2.75" high so I will have to stick with that or maybe buy both and do a dry trial with the #110 and see if it will just clear the panel.
I did drain more than 5 quarts from the engine, probably pretty close to 5.25 quarts.

Way too early for an oil change. You dumped all that good oil Mazda put in for break in. Hope you at least replaced with Moly.

Agree that it's good practice, but can't see how reuse could lead to a major catastrophe. A small leak at worst. And anybody who changes their own oil is going to be aware of that before it becomes a major problem. Because they pay attention.

If anyone has ever had a problem caused by crush washer reuse, let's hear about it.

Either way, change it or not. Trivial.

possible: the washer fails; lack of tension on the drain plug results in it vibrating loose and falling out on the hwy... possible

I expect it'll be fine

as to the 1,200 oil change he is likely thinking of the need to break in an engine then change the oil; but modern engines don't need this

possible: the washer fails; lack of tension on the drain plug results in it vibrating loose and falling out on the hwy... possible

I expect it'll be fine

A+ for creativity, F- for likelihood! How's that washer going to "fail"?

If anyone has ever ACTUALLY had a problem caused by crush washer reuse, let's hear about it. :)

The crush washers are an expendable part and are supposed to be replaced at each oil change. I bought 10 for $14. That will last me about 5 years. Why not do it the right way rather than debate whether or not it is necessary and will or will not cause problems.

Way too early for an oil change. You dumped all that good oil Mazda put in for break in. Hope you at least replaced with Moly.

The dealer is going to give me a free oil change at 7500 miles. I think that is way too long for an OCI with the turbo engine in SouCal driving conditions let alone for the first change. So I did it myself for the $35 worth of Castrol Edge synthetic, a new filter and a new crush washer.

⋯ as to the 1,200 oil change he is likely thinking of the need to break in an engine then change the oil; but modern engines don't need this
It depends. The break-in section in Honda owners manual specifically says to keep the factory (break-in) oil for normal oil change interval, and dont change it early.

The crush washers are an expendable part and are supposed to be replaced at each oil change. I bought 10 for $14. That will last me about 5 years. Why not do it the right way rather than debate whether or not it is necessary and will or will not cause problems.

I bought 10 OEM for $5.99 shipped on ebay. I think the real point here is - don't let the lack of having a new crush washer stop you from changing your oil. If you got one - fine. If not - order some for next time. It isn't a critical thing. Just don't over-torque the drain plug. I don't use a torque wrench, my arms have enough experience to know how much is enough (same with lug nuts). Stuff like this don't require exact torque specs. Save that for critical stuff like head bolts.

BTW, I ordered 3 filters from Amazon and they also came with washer,s so I'm set for a long time.

The dealer is going to give me a free oil change at 7500 miles. I think that is way too long for an OCI with the turbo engine in SouCal driving conditions let alone for the first change. So I did it myself for the $35 worth of Castrol Edge synthetic, a new filter and a new crush washer.
I agree with wlong01 that changing factory oil at 1,200 miles is way too early. I personally changed factory oil when my flexible oil life monitor said 30% of oil life left, which was about a little over 5,000 miles.

As I mentioned early Honda says to keep factory (break-in) oil for normal oil change period, and Honda also verified its factory oil has very high percentage of moly. Every UOA shows the factory fill for CX-5 also has very high level of molybdenum.

I expect it'll be fine
A+ for creativity, F- for likelihood! How's that washer going to "fail"?

If anyone has ever ACTUALLY had a problem caused by crush washer reuse, let's hear about it. :)
Not really by aluminum washer reuse, but I did just have an aluminum washer failure on my Toyota Yaris iA (at least according to my Toyota dealer) during the recent road trip from SJ to LA which may very likely cause major engine damage:

GT-R oil overfilled

Hey Monty, been a while, how's it going?

How's that Veloster treating you?

Yeah man tough year (lost my mom few months back) so I've been out a bunch just trying to get things in order, find some sort of normalcy again. The VN is doing exactly what I wanted it to- make me smile alot for half the price of an M240(which with my 5s tranny acting up and headed toward earlier than planned replacement turned out ok) - its definitely not for everyone- there is obvious cost cutting but not really where it matters to me other than its fwd but it really does a hell of job of not reminding you of that. I find it refreshingly basic/analog and just a great little handler- super fun on a nice backroad...Oh the new avatar- sweet and reminiscent of a few of my beloved oldies!

Back