Worth the upgrade?

I think the HUD is well implemented, but it has one big flaw IMHO in that it doesn*t work with polarized sunglasses. The glasses make it very dim and it washes out on light colored pavement or vehicles ahead of you. If you don*t wear polarized sunglasses, great. If you do, sucks.

I agree with this. In fact, the manual states that "Wearing polarized sunglasses will reduce the visibility of the active driving display due to the characteristics of the display." In this instance, the manual is right.

I found that setting the brightness to "automatic" mode seems to help. I wear prescription glasses so don't have the luxury of trying other shades.

I agree with this. In fact, the manual states that "Wearing polarized sunglasses will reduce the visibility of the active driving display due to the characteristics of the display." In this instance, the manual is right.

I found that setting the brightness to "automatic" mode seems to help. I wear prescription glasses so don't have the luxury of trying other shades.

Are you implying you've found instances where the manual is wrong? :)

If I had polarized glasses and the HUD, I'd consider a new pair of glasses just for driving, even if they're prescription. I like the HUD that much. And non-polarized glasses don't have a problem with it at all.

Personal preference for sure, and also it depends on your hearing. For most people who suffer hearing loss, the highs are the first to go. Music starts to sound muddy.

And when you're hearing starts to go, it's so subtle and gradual that you may not realize it for a long time.

Absolutely true -- one person's muddy might be crystal clear for another. I'm a big fan of this BOSE system which has been tuned to the vehicle. Pretty sure all the extra sound-deadening in the 2019 GTR is also helping the to enhance overall sound signature.

THAT would be an huge seller for Mazda.

I predict it will be coming before long. Mazda just has to skim the top off the market first with the people who have to have the turbo, and so are willing to pay for other stuff they may not want just to get it.

they skimmed me..but to be honest, we are loving the ventilated seats in these mid 80's temps.

they skimmed me..but to be honest, we are loving the ventilated seats in these mid 80's temps.

Me, too.

But now that I have the features I would never have purchased ala carte, I'd struggle to decide which one I'd sell back. I guess I'd punt those things that are region-dependent, like heated seats, side mirrors, wipers and steering wheel. And auto-folding side mirrors (I turned mine off.) But that's picking at the fringes of total price.

The only item of significant cost I would absolutely punt is the leather interior. I prefer cloth, but you gotta have the upper trim in the upper models...I guess. I don't know if other manufacturers force the high-end interior on you.

Me, too.

But now that I have the features I would never have purchased ala carte, I'd struggle to decide which one I'd sell back. I guess I'd punt those things that are region-dependent, like heated seats, side mirrors, wipers and steering wheel. And auto-folding side mirrors (I turned mine off.) But that's picking at the fringes of total price.

The only item of significant cost I would absolutely punt is the leather interior. I prefer cloth, but you gotta have the upper trim in the upper models...I guess. I don't know if other manufacturers force the high-end interior on you.

Me, three. This was the first time I ever bought the top model with all the bells and whistles. Lo and behold, there isn't anything I would give up. It was worth every penny.
Definitely spoiled now. Wish I had the turbo, parking sensors, ventilated seats, 360 camera... can't wait to see what enhancements 20 and 21 bring.

I always preferred cloth, too. This is my first leather. Never wanted to spend the money, always thought "too hot, too cold, too slippery". But with heated [and now ventilated] seats, I actually prefer the feel. Didn't think I would. I just throw my emergency blanket on the drivers seat when it's in the sun. :)

Me, three. This was the first time I ever bought the top model with all the bells and whistles. Lo and behold, there isn't anything I would give up. It was worth every penny.
Definitely spoiled now. Wish I had the turbo, parking sensors, ventilated seats, 360 camera... can't wait to see what enhancements 20 and 21 bring.

I always preferred cloth, too. This is my first leather. Never wanted to spend the money, always thought "too hot, too cold, too slippery". But with heated [and now ventilated] seats, I actually prefer the feel. Didn't think I would. I just throw my emergency blanket on the drivers seat when it's in the sun. :)

This is my first vehicle with a camera. I like it when I'm backing out, but backing into a space is easier with my side mirrors...I'm still not used to centering the car in the spot with the camera. I've never been in one with a 360' camera. You really think that would be a usable upgrade?

Regarding the hot seats...the other day I left my sunshade off for a bit. OUCH!!! I only purchased it to save the [expensive] interior from premature aging, but that one instance made me glad I have it and consistently use it. And even that can scorch you when taking it down if you're not careful. Someone needs to figure out how to convert old cars into functional greenhouses.

Actually, now that I think about it, this is my second leather. My very first car was a '63 Continental. I don't know how many cows went to Heaven to make that interior.

Did you find one that fits and isn't as pricey as OEM?

Nope. I bought it with the car and am financing it over 5 years.

But now I wish I hadn't. I want shades for the windows as well (intending to leave the rear window shades in permanently and the front ones situationally.) But you cannot buy those shades separately...they only come bundled in a kit with the windshield shade. I have seen some universal window shades, but none of them so far seem to fit the unique Mazda shape.

You know, I was looking at shades (and a ton of other accessories) before I bought the car, and didn't even think of this issue.

Nope. I bought it with the car and am financing it over 5 years.

But now I wish I hadn't. I want shades for the windows as well (intending to leave the rear window shades in permanently and the front ones situationally.) But you cannot buy those shades separately...they only come bundled in a kit with the windshield shade. I have seen some universal window shades, but none of them so far seem to fit the unique Mazda shape.

You know, I was looking at shades (and a ton of other accessories) before I bought the car, and didn't even think of this issue.

Those universal shades universally fit nothing quite right I think.

Makes sense it would be a bundle. Those side shades would be nice. I bet if you bought them you could resell the windshield pretty easily.

Makes sense it would be a bundle. Those side shades would be nice. I bet if you bought them you could resell the windshield pretty easily.

That's a thought. I'll do a "reverse part number" lookup and see what model cars that might be compatible with.

I'm surprised by the "very muddy" comment on the BOSE system. As a live sound and amateur recording technician since the 80s, I'm pretty picky about sound, and I would have to call the BOSE sound in the 2019 GTR anything but muddy.

I guess it's all subjective, but when adjusted to my taste (Centrepoint on, treble at one notch above flat, and bass up only about three notches), the bass is extraordinarily tight and defined.

Listening to FLAC / ALAC source files of primarily classic rock, the system shines. That being said, some of today's pop/hip hop music mixes recorded with over-the-top emphasis on the low end would sound muddy and distorted.

I'd be interested to hear the Harmon Kardon system now, based on your feedback though.

Also keep in mind my hearing. Its excellent in some ranges, but I have significant notches in the 5500-6500 range (15dB or so), and have trouble picking out conversations in crowded areas. That said, I'll set mine up as yours. Right now it's just centrepoint on.

I wear Rudy Project photochromic impact rated glasses. They are available in prescription, I believe. I can see the HUD like it's in HD.

Tint the glass with ceramic tint. Problem solved.

I wear Rudy Project photochromic impact rated glasses. They are available in prescription, I believe. I can see the HUD like it's in HD.

Thanks.

I'll check them out. .As I said, setting the brightness to "Automatic" seems to help. Don't know why it would be better in the daytime than Full Brightness, but it is.

I'm surprised by the "very muddy" comment on the BOSE system. As a live sound and amateur recording technician since the 80s, I'm pretty picky about sound, and I would have to call the BOSE sound in the 2019 GTR anything but muddy.

I guess it's all subjective, but when adjusted to my taste (Centrepoint on, treble at one notch above flat, and bass up only about three notches), the bass is extraordinarily tight and defined.

Listening to FLAC / ALAC source files of primarily classic rock, the system shines. That being said, some of today's pop/hip hop music mixes recorded with over-the-top emphasis on the low end would sound muddy and distorted.

I'd be interested to hear the Harmon Kardon system now, based on your feedback though.

I primarily listen to jazz, and the bass always seems to be over-driven unless I go into the negative side of the setting. This system is screaming for an equalizer. I'm surprised we only get bass and treble...not even a midrange.

I primarily listen to jazz, and the bass always seems to be over-driven unless I go into the negative side of the setting. This system is screaming for an equalizer. I'm surprised we only get bass and treble...not even a midrange.

Bill Crutchfield's almost a neighbor of yours. Bet he'll have something for you.

Yeh, as I typed that statement I knew what the right solution would be. My primary concern is protecting the interior from rapid degradation.

There you go then. Get coated and sell your shade. If it's in the budget, of course.

Do modern dashboards rot like the old ones used to? I would think they'd have gotten smarter about UV.

Anyone have a problem with a recent car?

Agreed. Liked that my 2001 Trans Am had such. It would be really nice if the nearly 2 decades newer GTR did.

Back