Worth the upgrade?

Yeh, as I typed that statement I knew what the right solution would be. My primary concern is protecting the interior from rapid degradation.

http://thespokaneshop.com/spokane-window-tinting/different-types-window-tint-film

Also, no, I have not had any issues. Even my 1988 Mustang GT had no issues, and before I bought it it spent 1-2 years as a yard ornament. Flawless dash in 2005. The ONLY car I ever had with issues was a 1995 Trans Am, where the thin plastic "plate" over the front of the dash cracked. Also, my 2001 Trans Am and 1995 Trans Am both had "sun wear" on the back leather seat, as it sat a foot or so directly under the rear hatch glass.

http://thespokaneshop.com/spokane-window-tinting/different-types-window-tint-film

Also, no, I have not had any issues. Even my 1988 Mustang GT had no issues, and before I bought it it spent 1-2 years as a yard ornament. Flawless dash in 2005. The ONLY car I ever had with issues was a 1995 Trans Am, where the thin plastic "plate" over the front of the dash cracked. Also, my 2001 Trans Am and 1995 Trans Am both had "sun wear" on the back leather seat, as it sat a foot or so directly under the rear hatch glass.

Thanks for that link.

There you go then. Get coated and sell your shade. If it's in the budget, of course.

Do modern dashboards rot like the old ones used to? I would think they'd have gotten smarter about UV.

Anyone have a problem with a recent car?

Not really a problem, but on my 2013 I noticed several years ago that the passenger side airbag portion of the dash became visible. When I first bought the car I'm pretty sure the dashboard was completely uniform in appearance. After about 3-4 years the lines where the bag would deploy from under the dash there became slightly visible. It could have always been there and I never noticed it but I don't think thats the case.

To get back on track I think the 2nd gen dashboard looks to be higher quality than my Sport level gen 1. If the car is kept out in full sun I think a monthly application/cleaning with a protectant would keep most cars dashboards looking like new.

Also keep in mind my hearing. Its excellent in some ranges, but I have significant notches in the 5500-6500 range (15dB or so), and have trouble picking out conversations in crowded areas. That said, I'll set mine up as yours. Right now it's just centrepoint on.

No kidding? Any idea what did it or has it always been like that? I know you are a firearms enthusiast so your statement caught my eye. I have to shoot firearms all of the time for my job in a single lane range. I hate how loud it can be especially with large caliber rifles so I've always doubled up on the hearing protection (disposable foam earplugs + over ear protection). I recently picked up those clear plastic fancy earplugs that are good for concerts, but the several rock shows I went to when I was younger probably ensured hearing loss for me later in life.

No kidding? Any idea what did it or has it always been like that? I know you are a firearms enthusiast so your statement caught my eye. I have to shoot firearms all of the time for my job in a single lane range. I hate how loud it can be especially with large caliber rifles so I've always doubled up on the hearing protection (disposable foam earplugs + over ear protection). I recently picked up those clear plastic fancy earplugs that are good for concerts, but the several rock shows I went to when I was younger probably ensured hearing loss for me later in life.

Gunshots.
Gunfire and turbine engines will cause loss around 6500hz, which shifts down as we age.
Piston engines cause loss around 4k, I believe.

If i am shooting pistol or shotgun, I double up. Now, I mostly shoot suppressed m4 type carbines and foamies are good to go.

Also, since you are an indoor shooter, make sure the range is up to code for ventilation. Check lead levels in blood yearly.

Do modern dashboards rot like the old ones used to? I would think they'd have gotten smarter about UV.

Anyone have a problem with a recent car?

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2017/toyota-lexus-melting-dashboard-lawsuit.shtml

The 2008 IS250 I had never exhibited this issue, but it was probably because I applied 303 Protectant on the dash at least twice a year.

This issue, the carbon build-up issue, and their new "over the top" styling are why I didn't seriously consider a Lexus SUV when I was in the market.

Last edited:
I should go talk to them. But I'm talking about system controls, not speakers.

They do everything from 8 foot TVs to car tweeters. If there's an add-on eq system for the CX-5, they'll know about it.

Gunshots.
Gunfire and turbine engines will cause loss around 6500hz, which shifts down as we age.
Piston engines cause loss around 4k, I believe.

If i am shooting pistol or shotgun, I double up. Now, I mostly shoot suppressed m4 type carbines and foamies are good to go.

Also, since you are an indoor shooter, make sure the range is up to code for ventilation. Check lead levels in blood yearly.

Good call with the suppressor. Thankfully blood lead level and hearing tests annually are conditions for employment. They say my hearing is normal but, damn, I swear those tones are getting harder to hear every year (only 31).

Does the reserve or signature come with the bose Centerpoint? Can*t remember off the top of my head. I really like the sound in the 2018 I service (grand touring).

I have to shoot firearms all of the time for my job in a single lane range. I hate how loud it can be especially with large caliber rifles so I've always doubled up on the hearing protection (disposable foam earplugs + over ear protection).

I used to shoot at the NRA range up to 3x a week, and always did that...headphones over plugs.

I'm fortunate to have a place now I can shoot outside, but always "wear my ears."

Good call with the suppressor. Thankfully blood lead level and hearing tests annually are conditions for employment. They say my hearing is normal but, damn, I swear those tones are getting harder to hear every year (only 31).

Does the reserve or signature come with the bose Centerpoint? Can*t remember off the top of my head. I really like the sound in the 2018 I service (grand touring).

my reserve has Bose centerpoint. I prefer that setting, sounds much cleaner.

I no longer have a mountain property to shoot in, but agree headphones over the plugs.

I had one jackass start shooting before everyone got their ears in as a teen and just that one shot gave me tinnitus for like a week and that left ear still gives me problems every now and then.

I no longer have a mountain property to shoot in, but agree headphones over the plugs.

I had one jackass start shooting before everyone got their ears in as a teen and just that one shot gave me tinnitus for like a week and that left ear still gives me problems every now and then.

In the future, acute acoustic trauma responds well to vasodilator (ntg gtt, hospital setting) and aggressive steroid treatment (decadron, aggressive taper dose, 10 days or so) outpatient.

There are some real yahoos out there that make one give pause, and it's not always attributable to youth.

I buy foam plugs in bulk, and gladly hand them out to whoever wants them as primary or additional protection.

Mmmmm Turbo!!! I would love the turbo :D But being more logical, you're kind of paying more for the same looking car, just a better engine and interior. If it was a redesign I would go for it but I just can't see spending more $$$ for the same looking car :/ I have a 2017 GT and it's way too soon to trade up. I can envy but my time will come in a few years when it's time to upgrade :D

Mmmmm Turbo!!! I would love the turbo :D But being more logical, you're kind of paying more for the same looking car, just a better engine and interior. If it was a redesign I would go for it but I just can't see spending more $$$ for the same looking car :/ I have a 2017 GT and it's way too soon to trade up. I can envy but my time will come in a few years when it's time to upgrade :D
what? a different design is more important to you than a better engine and interior? That's silly IMO

In the future, acute acoustic trauma responds well to vasodilator (ntg gtt, hospital setting) and aggressive steroid treatment (decadron, aggressive taper dose, 10 days or so) outpatient.
Sorry when I said problems, not ringing. Just pressure issues here and there where I can't get it to equalize and never had that issue before then.

To be fair, v6 mustang and cobras, base vettes and zr1s, 911 4s and Gt2...

I'm surprised by the "very muddy" comment on the BOSE system. As a live sound and amateur recording technician since the 80s, I'm pretty picky about sound, and I would have to call the BOSE sound in the 2019 GTR anything but muddy.

I guess it's all subjective, but when adjusted to my taste (Centrepoint on, treble at one notch above flat, and bass up only about three notches), the bass is extraordinarily tight and defined.

Listening to FLAC / ALAC source files of primarily classic rock, the system shines. That being said, some of today's pop/hip hop music mixes recorded with over-the-top emphasis on the low end would sound muddy and distorted.

I'd be interested to hear the Harmon Kardon system now, based on your feedback though.

Seadawg, what are you using as the source to play FLAC/ALAC files in your CX 5 ? The reason I ask is that I burned a few CD's using the EAC (Exact Audio Copy) software in FLAC format and then loaded them onto a USB stick. The Bose system does not recognize the files. I then burned the same tracks in WAV format, loaded them onto the same USB stick and the system only recognizes the WAV files on that USB stick.
I think the Bose system sounds like crap with strident midrange. I too am a classic rock listener and wonder if it is the fault of the WAV format ? In my Nissan 370Z the 6 disc changer quit working a couple of years ago so I bought a Pyle PDAP18 music device and loaded a bunch of my favorite albums in FLAC format onto it so I could have tunes for road trips. It played through the AUX input in the Nissan. I plugged the Pyle unit into the AUX input in my new Mazda and it works fine but of course you have to use the controls on the Pyle device for menu, track, play/pause, etc which is hazardous while driving. The USB stick drives in the Mazda work great with steering wheel controls and console controls and showing album art, track title, etc on the dash display but I just am not happy with the fidelity.

Back