Worth the upgrade?

Seadawg, what are you using as the source to play FLAC/ALAC files in your CX 5 ? The reason I ask is that I burned a few CD's using the EAC (Exact Audio Copy) software in FLAC format and then loaded them onto a USB stick. The Bose system does not recognize the files. I then burned the same tracks in WAV format, loaded them onto the same USB stick and the system only recognizes the WAV files on that USB stick.
I think the Bose system sounds like crap with strident midrange. I too am a classic rock listener and wonder if it is the fault of the WAV format ? In my Nissan 370Z the 6 disc changer quit working a couple of years ago so I bought a Pyle PDAP18 music device and loaded a bunch of my favorite albums in FLAC format onto it so I could have tunes for road trips. It played through the AUX input in the Nissan. I plugged the Pyle unit into the AUX input in my new Mazda and it works fine but of course you have to use the controls on the Pyle device for menu, track, play/pause, etc which is hazardous while driving. The USB stick drives in the Mazda work great with steering wheel controls and console controls and showing album art, track title, etc on the dash display but I just am not happy with the fidelity.

Have you tried 320k MP3's? That's the highest quality the CX-5's USB port can play. It sounds about as good as it can in that format, as the Blose system's limitations start being revealed.

fidelity...

Bose has always been known for using psychoacoustics to create higher fidelity than you'd expect form cheap speakers & electronics; but that does NOT mean it is really HiFi

mp3 is the lowest fidelity format going

So, those are two factors working against you. But "strident midrange" could just be the lower high freq.s being out of balance, aka upper mids...

mp3 is the lowest fidelity format going

You can't just blatantly single out a compression format like that, as it's no worse than AAC. Comparing 128kbps MP3 against sat broadcast SiriusXM makes MP3 sound pretty good. A good 320kbps MP3 rip will be almost discernible from lossless via the aux jack, due to the design limitations Mazda went with when choosing their system. The weakest link always stands out.

Sorry when I said problems, not ringing. Just pressure issues here and there where I can't get it to equalize and never had that issue before then.

The treatment I outlined is for acute injury, not chronic. It won't do any good past a few weeks out, and is best implemented immediately.

You can't just blatantly single out a compression format like that, as it's no worse than AAC. Comparing 128kbps MP3 against sat broadcast SiriusXM makes MP3 sound pretty good. A good 320kbps MP3 rip will be almost discernible from lossless via the aux jack, due to the design limitations Mazda went with when choosing their system. The weakest link always stands out.

320kbps is hard to distinguish from CD quality for most people. Firstly, they're not listening that closely to purposely compare. Secondly, their gear is not up to par to pick up differences.........that said I'm not most people. I could tell and my ATH MX50 headphones picks up those differences rather easily. I use 320 kpbs in my daily driver as its good enough :(

you must have a different stereo system than me...

mp3 is a lossy format - it throws away bits (i.e. parts of the music); it is true that naive listeners sometimes cannot hear a difference on certain source material

you must have a different stereo system than me...

mp3 is a lossy format - it throws away bits (i.e. parts of the music); it is true that naive listeners sometimes cannot hear a difference on certain source material

I'm referring to the sound in our CX-5 Sig. I'm not sure what you have. I can definitely hear the difference in my home theater and in my Lexus with the Mark Levinson audio system.

I used Windows Media Player to make files from my CD's. Here are the Rip Setting choices:
Windows Media Audio 192 Kbps
Windows Media Audio Pro 192 Kbps
Windows Media Audio Variable Bit Rate 240 to 335 Kbps
Windows Media Audio Lossless 470 to 940 Kbps
MP3 320 Kbps
WAV (Lossless) 1411.2 Kbps
ALAC 470 to 940 Kbps (Mazda system will not read)
FLAC 470 to 940 Kbps (Mazda system will not read)

The files I transferred to the USB stick were done in WAV (Lossless) 1411.2 Kbps format and I just don't think they sound that great. I figured the 1411.2 Kbps rate was the best for audio quality but maybe not ?
And I agree that Sirius XM is pretty pathetic for fidelity. I haven't tried the HD FM yet.

use a Lossless format if possible

mp3 & AAC(=mp4) are lossy so you are losing bits

it is always possible that the decoder for the WAV format is sub-par

or it may be something else as to why it doesn't sound that great - test known source material in various ways & see if there is a difference

of course, if you expect a difference you may be "hearing" expectation bias, so a blind test would be the best way to go

what? a different design is more important to you than a better engine and interior? That's silly IMO

Absolutely, it's not worth the upgrade IMO but if $$$ is not an issue I don't see why not. I plan on getting a turbo 6 after a few years tho.

you are assuming a new design will be better, not always the case.

You could say the same about a new engine or new interior. Recent example fresh in everyone's minds is the CD engine in the 2018 CX-5 vs non-CD in the 2017 CX-5. Direct-injection vs port-injection and the carbon build-up issues. New interior in some Lexus vehicles looks nice but scratches and mars from light wiping with a microfiber cloth, while the interior from an older LS400 is dated, but durable. There's examples for everything, so there's no right answer.

Had the 2018 GT with HUD and loved it. Always had trouble adjusting seat and wheel so I could get a good view of the instrument panel. HUD eliminates this for speed and warnings. Just got a 2021 GT and I do like the added features. Suspension/handling seems tighter. Really wanted the cooled seats because I am a back sweater. I had the entire front end wrapped in plastic film to avoid chipping like the 18 model (both red). My teenage boys do not yet realize I got a new car, same model and color. Guess they didn't notice the temp tag. Absolutely love the Mazda feel. Remote start via phone is WAY improved over 2018 (I stopped using the 2018 one). 18 was a lease so I consider it a three year test drive. It passed!

I don't bring music to my car, but of the built in capability. XM sounds terrible, to me, compared to FM over air.

Back