Worth the upgrade?

:
2021 Acura RDX
I currently have a 2017 CX-5 non-tech (No, HUD, heated steering wheel). Anyway, I contemplating the idea of possibly leasing a 2019 GT-R or SIG. My question is, aside from the money aspect, would an upgrade from a 17 to a 19 be worth it? Obviously the turbo would be nice, but would I be gaining any other drivetrain, etc. advantages?

Also, is the HUD and heated steering wheel worth the extra cost? The HUD sounds pretty cool, but I have yet to drive a CX-5 with one.

Thanks for all of your thoughts!

I currently have a 2017 CX-5 non-tech (No, HUD, heated steering wheel). Anyway, I contemplating the idea of possibly leasing a 2019 GT-R or SIG. My question is, aside from the money aspect, would an upgrade from a 17 to a 19 be worth it? Obviously the turbo would be nice, but would I be gaining any other drivetrain, etc. advantages?

Also, is the HUD and heated steering wheel worth the extra cost? The HUD sounds pretty cool, but I have yet to drive a CX-5 with one.

I had a 2018 GT w/Tech as a loaner. My 2019 GTR is worlds better than that was. Handles much better, and the turbo really isnt much mpg penalty if any. Why dont you test drive one? If it's worth it or not will be readily apparent to you I'd think.

Good point. I didn't know if it would be worth wasting the time for a test drive (dealer is 45 min away) if there wasn't a noticeable difference. Anyway, I think I'll give it a go ahead.

I'm really looking at it from a vehicle standpoint though. Of course money is a factor, but my question is there a noticeable difference between the two (aside from the turbo).

My $.02 worth.

#1. The 2.5T is a wonderful performance upgrade.
#2. The interior quality and features (Sig) are one par with luxury CUV's from BMW, Audi, Acura, etc. (but at a significantly cheaper price)

If those aren't important, then keep your '17.

Just went from a 2016 GT to a 2019 GTR. For me, the biggest noticeable difference is the responsiveness of the turbo engine. Haven*t really noticed much difference in the AWD from my previous FWD. I think the HUD is well implemented, but it has one big flaw IMHO in that it doesn*t work with polarized sunglasses. The glasses make it very dim and it washes out on light colored pavement or vehicles ahead of you. If you don*t wear polarized sunglasses, great. If you do, sucks. I live in Florida, so heated seats and steering wheel are useless for me. I tried the seats once in my 2016 just to see how they felt, and never turned them on again. I expect it will be the same for the heated steering wheel, but YMMV depending on where you live.

Aside from the power, one of the big things for me was taking care of many little things that bugged me on my 16, like the positioning of the front 12V outlet and the fact that it wasnt switched, and lack of seat position memory. About the only thing they didnt improve is what I consider to be the poor gas mileage for vehicle class, which is a little worse with the turbo. However, props to Mazda for making it run fine on regular gas as most other turbos require premium.

Last edited:
This is my third CX-5 (my wife also has a 2017 CX-3). I've had a 2014 GX AWD, a 2016 GT AWD, and just picked up a 2019 GT Reserve Turbo AWD in June. After driving about 2,000 km, I can tell you it is a major upgrade from my 2016 GT (I can't speak to the difference between 2017 vs 2019 models, but please read on....)

Overall this vehicle has a considerably more luxurious feel -- much quieter and smoother ride, yet tight Mazda handling. The turbo is sweet -- lots of instant go-fast. Love the HUD, and the new Stop & Go Radar Cruise Control (MRCC), which makes highway driving in busy traffic much less stressful (and yes, it actually will bring the car to a safe stop in traffic).

Mazda seems to be gunning to compete in the near-luxury market territory but at a bargain (compared to similarly-equipped luxe brands). The Bose system is noticeably improved over my 2016 GT, with the addition of an upgraded algorithm (Centrepoint 2), and the spare tire-mounted subwoofer. The power folding mirrors, heated steering wheel, and the ventilated front seats are nice touches, and addition of Apple CarPlay integration is icing on the cake.

Was it worth the upgrade from the 2016 GT -- absolutely!!

Last edited:
I have been looking at the 2019 CX-5 GTR for a little bit. I read in another thread that they upgraded the technology in the "3" (don't know if they ment the sedan or CX).

I hope they apply the upgrades to the CX-5 in the next model year or two - things like higher resolution, larger head unit, emergency braking, lane keeping assist...

I think doing the technology upgrades while keeping the same overall size and quality will give them a hands-down winner.

I'm really looking at it from a vehicle standpoint though. Of course money is a factor, but my question is there a noticeable difference between the two (aside from the turbo).

The handling is much better. Not in absolute limits, but in how approachable they have become.
The HUD really is nice, and the cooled seats are amazing after the gym, etc. or just on a hot day in general.
In my opinion, the GT-R and Signature took a decent CUV for its class and turned it into a CUV that belongs in a class above its market pricing.

This is my third CX-5 (my wife also has a 2017 CX-3). I've had a 2014 GX AWD, a 2016 GT AWD, and just picked up a 2019 GT Reserve Turbo AWD in June. After driving about 2,000 km, I can tell you it is a major upgrade from my 2016 GT (I can't speak to the difference between 2017 vs 2019 models, but please read on....)

Overall this vehicle has a considerably more luxurious feel -- much quieter and smoother ride, yet tight Mazda handling. The turbo is sweet * lots of instant go-fast. Love the HUD, and the new Stop & Go Radar Cruise Control (MRCC), which makes highway driving in busy traffic much less stressful (and yes, it actually will bring the car to a safe stop in traffic).

Mazda seems to be gunning to compete in the near-luxury market territory but at a bargain (compared to similarly-equipped luxe brands). The Bose system is noticeably improved over my 2016 GT, with the addition of an upgraded algorithm (Centrepoint 2), and the spare tire-mounted subwoofer. The power folding mirrors, hrated steering wheel, and the ventilated front seats are nice touches, and addition of Apple CarPlay integration is icing on the cake.

Was it worth the upgrade from the 2016 GT -- absolutely!!

That's my one complaint...the Bose. I would hate to have heard a 2016 Bose if it's worse than the GTR's bose! Very muddy. My favorite sound system that I've personally owned remains the Harmon Kardan in my 2010 Jeep.

Money aside, yes, it*s a worthwhile upgrade. After test driving a GT-R 6 I*ve been having to remind myself I need to be happy with what I*ve got XD

Handling, tech package and appearance are awesome.

If money is no object, go nuts.

I think going from a 17 to a 19 makes little financial sense. People who upgrade that much should just lease and call it a day.

If you really hate the non-turbo, I suppose it's worth an upgrade to the turbo. But outside of that, I don't feel like a HUD or having all 4 windows auto up/down is worth it. But that's just me, I'm sure I am in the minority. A lot of these folks are comparing it to a gen 1. You have a gen 2 going to a gen 2. Personally I think that's nuts unless you are in a lease.

Last edited:
If money is no object, go nuts.

I think going from a 17 to a 19 makes little financial sense. People who upgrade that much should just lease and call it a day.

If you really hate the non-turbo, I suppose it's worth an upgrade to the turbo. But outside of that, I don't feel like a HUD or having all 4 windows auto up/down is worth it. But that's just me, I'm sure I am in the minority. A lot of these folks are comparing it to a gen 1. You have a gen 2 going to a gen 2. Personally I think that's nuts unless you are in a lease.

Also factor in his interest rate then vs now and other things we don't know. It may not be a horrible call, depending.

Also factor in his interest rate then vs now and other things we don't know. It may not be a horrible call, depending.

OK, Mr. Negative Equity.

Yeah, I mean depending you could make it work financially if those things matter a lot to you. But really only you can make that call OP. For me a paid off car I enjoy that has literally none of that is more appealing to me than any of those features. Turbo would be nice, but I'm not willing to pay new car pricing for it. Hell, I'd prefer if they dropped the turbo into a trim without all the gadgets and nannies.

I'm surprised by the "very muddy" comment on the BOSE system. As a live sound and amateur recording technician since the 80s, I'm pretty picky about sound, and I would have to call the BOSE sound in the 2019 GTR anything but muddy.

I guess it's all subjective, but when adjusted to my taste (Centrepoint on, treble at one notch above flat, and bass up only about three notches), the bass is extraordinarily tight and defined.

Listening to FLAC / ALAC source files of primarily classic rock, the system shines. That being said, some of today's pop/hip hop music mixes recorded with over-the-top emphasis on the low end would sound muddy and distorted.

I'd be interested to hear the Harmon Kardon system now, based on your feedback though.

Hell, I'd prefer if they dropped the turbo into a trim without all the gadgets and nannies.

THAT would be an huge seller for Mazda.

I predict it will be coming before long. Mazda just has to skim the top off the market first with the people who have to have the turbo, and so are willing to pay for other stuff they may not want just to get it.

I'm surprised by the "very muddy" comment on the BOSE system. As a live sound and amateur recording technician since the 80s, I'm pretty picky about sound, and I would have to call the BOSE sound in the 2019 GTR anything but muddy.

I guess it's all subjective, but when adjusted to my taste (Centrepoint on, treble at one notch above flat, and bass up only about three notches), the bass is extraordinarily tight and defined.

Personal preference for sure, and also it depends on your hearing. For most people who suffer hearing loss, the highs are the first to go. Music starts to sound muddy.

And when you're hearing starts to go, it's so subtle and gradual that you may not realize it for a long time.

You live in Wisconsin? Then you'll love the heated wheel. Also the HUD- it's wonderful. And all the other bells and whistles. And of course the turbo.

If you had a 17 GT w/tech like mine, I'd say don't bother unless you really want the turbo. But since you're now lacking many of those extra features, I think you'll really enjoy the upgrade if it's worth the extra expense. Kind of a tossup. Treat yourself or not? :)

Back