Check engine light came on because of loose gas cap (I thnk), it will not go off

Bear and racoons are freaking smart, too. But their claws are certainly harder than famous Mazda paint!
I didn't catch that you had found the codes.
But I did catch their refusal to help, and I agree with your assessment.

I've been here since 2010 and have had game cameras set up all over the place. I never saw a single bear.

Then they started coming around about 3 years ago, suddenly twice a year looking for food ...going into hibernation and coming out of hibernation. Now I gotta lock my garbage in the garage.

You've lived in the state. I read on the DGIF website that out of the 93 or so counties in Virginia, all but 4 of them have some bear presence. I found articles with pics of a bear running around Virginia Beach, for goodness sake!! Can you imagine???

I've been here since 2010 and have had game cameras set up all over the place. I never saw a single bear.

Then they started coming around about 3 years ago, suddenly twice a year looking for food ...going into hibernation and coming out of hibernation. Now I gotta lock my garbage in the garage.

You've lived in the state. I read on the DGIF website that out of the 93 or so counties in Virginia, all but 4 of them have some bear presence. I found articles with pics of a bear running around Virginia Beach, for goodness sake!! Can you imagine???

They got into somebody's trash one time. That's all it takes.
They can scale almost any fence. Around here, you keep your trash inside, or get a bear proof can [they actually work, for $160].
We can only put bird feeders out in the winter, when they're hibernating. They're everywhere all summer.
But we're all in their territory, and we're supplying them with food. Not surprising.
At least they're generally afraid of people.

But we digress...

From my '16 manual:

If the check fuel cap warning light illuminates, the fuel-filler cap may not be properly installed. If the warning light illuminates, park your vehicle safely off the right-of-way, remove the fuel-filler cap and reinstall it correctly. After the cap has been correctly installed, the fuel cap warning light may continue to illuminate until a number of driving cycles have been completed. A drive cycle consists of starting the engine (after four or more hours with the engine off) and driving the vehicle on city and highway roads. Continuing to drive with the check fuel cap warning light illuminated could cause the check engine light to illuminate as well.

I assume your '19 is similar. The surprise for me is the 4 hours off requirement for the drive cycle.

Just to wrap this up, my CEL finally shut off by itself today (Wednesday).

To synopsize:

-My 2019 manual makes no mention of the CEL turning off by itself.
-It came on Saturday night, and I discovered the gas cap was completely off and just laying behind the door. I replaced it.
--I had gone through 3/4 of a tank of gas in the 10 days since I last filled up, so the CEL was horribly delayed.
-I've driven the car every day since, sometimes making multiple stops in a single trip. The CEL never went out.
-I stopped by a local shop I know yesterday and the guy's OBD2 reader has not been updated for the 2019 model year cars ("Needs Different Cable" message.) He told me he did not think the CEL would self-extinguish.
-I drove in to town this afternoon and made a stop, then I drove a few blocks to where I had a meeting. The CEL was still on.
--The meeting lasted 2 hours, I came out, started the car, and the CEL was off.
-I made a short hop to the grocery store on the way home, and the CEL has remained off.

I corrected a prior post where I stated you could not close the door with the cap off...the cap is not tethered as my truck's cap is. You can (I obviously did) just lay the cap in the recess and close the door. Serves me right for not using the holder inside the door (which would have prevented the door from closing.)

This upside is this got me off my butt and I ordered an OBD-II Bluetooth adapter, along with a tablet to set up for diagnostics/extended gauges/Android Auto. I've chosen the OBD2 software I'll install. I'll post in Infotainment when I figure out where to put the tablet.

Last edited:
The gas attendants used to not tighten my gas cap all the time, it got to the point that I would listen for the clicks. The first couple of times I disconnected the battery to reset it and then the next time just drove and the CEL finally went out. I think the CEL doesn't go on right away is because the full tank of gas acts sort of like a check valve. It's not until the tank has more air in it when there is less pressure and the CEL goes on.
My Mazda does not have a clicking sound so I find myself checking the cap after getting gas after getting home.

A friend used to tell me that everything before the "but" is BS ;) It cracks me up every time I catch myself doing it.

And I've been to western NJ (Delaware Water Gap parts), as well as the congested parts of the state (Edison/Newark). Funny how some states can be night & day with only a couple hours drive. Oregon is one place I have never been, either business or pleasure. Maybe I should take a road trip, and you guys can show me how to pump gas!

Heh, heh, you got you. But I can relate. Forgetfulness gets easier the older you get.

Just to wrap this up, my CEL finally shut off by itself today (Wednesday).

To synopsize:

-My 2019 manual makes no mention of the CEL turning off by itself.
-It came on Saturday night, and I discovered the gas cap was completely off and just laying behind the door. I replaced it.
--I had gone through 3/4 of a tank of gas in the 10 days since I last filled up, so the CEL was horribly delayed.
-I've driven the car every day since, sometimes making multiple stops in a single trip. The CEL never went out.
-I stopped by a local shop I know yesterday and the guy's OBD2 reader has not been updated for the 2019 model year cars ("Needs Different Cable" message.) He told me he did not think the CEL would self-extinguish.
-I drove in to town this afternoon and made a stop, then I drove a few blocks to where I had a meeting. The CEL was still on.
--The meeting lasted 2 hours, I came out, started the car, and the CEL was off.
-I made a short hop to the grocery store on the way home, and the CEL has remained off.

I corrected a prior post where I stated you could not close the door with the cap off...the cap is not tethered as my truck's cap is. You can (I obviously did) just lay the cap in the recess and close the door. Serves me right for not using the holder inside the door (which would have prevented the door from closing.)

This upside is this got me off my butt and I ordered an OBD-II Bluetooth adapter, along with a tablet to set up for diagnostics/extended gauges/Android Auto. I've chosen the OBD2 software I'll install. I'll post in Infotainment when I figure out where to put the tablet.

Lol that's embarrassing for a shop. $5 item (obd2) from PRC and a free app to read a code. Workshop manual available for free to look up the code. I had a run in with evap code a while ago. Eventually it went away. Now I make sure I click the gas cap multiple times. Also I had put gdi valve cleaner through a vacuum line (to hit the PCV valve/system). But st least twice I drove with the cap off and door open with no code.

Last edited:
Lol that's embarrassing for a shop. $5 item (obd2) from PRC and a free app to read a code. Workshop manual available for free to look up the code. I had a run in with evap code a while ago. Eventually it went away. Now I make sure I click the gas cap multiple times. Also I had put gdi valve cleaner through a vacuum line (to hit the PCV valve/system). But st least twice I drove with the cap off and door open with no code.

I kinda understand the shop not having updated their OBD2 reader yet. Most new vehicles are gonna go to the dealer for warranty repair. My brother owned his own shop and had a hard time advising me on new cars...they never come in to him for repairs. But I'm certain that keeping his stuff updated was pretty much part of the business.

I find it interesting that you got no code the times you drove with no cap. As I said, I went over a week and burned through 3/4 tank of gas before the CEL came on. My head was all messed up over it when I opened the gas door on my [almost] brand new car and saw the cap off.

This is the problem with a new car. Had it been my truck or the 1990 Volvo I recently got rid of, I would have blown it off.

Its the stupid eco stuff. cap off and evaporative fuel system eventually triggers the error although technically the car should run ok even without it.
I have learned on the cx5 to always check the gas cap after refuelling and rotate until the spring clicks.

Its the stupid eco stuff. cap off and evaporative fuel system eventually triggers the error although technically the car should run ok even without it.
I have learned on the cx5 to always check the gas cap after refuelling and rotate until the spring clicks.

Just like those collars they installed on gas nozzles to prevent fumes from escaping...because molecules surely can't get past that 3" gap...can they??? Don't they see it and turn around?????

It's all about control.

Back