Check engine light came on because of loose gas cap, it will not go off

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I searched to see if this had been answered before (I gotta believe it has been)...

This is a 2019 GT Reserve with less than 3,000 miles on it.

Last night I went out to dinner. I got in my car and started driving home, and about 1 mile down the road the Check Engine light came on. When I got home and looked, the gas cap was completely off, just laying there. I only had about 1/4 tank of gas left, so don't know why the Check Engine light had not lit sooner. I don't think anyone messed with the car, because I always lock my car. I can only assume I did not tighten it and it somehow unscrewed all the way without the Check Engine light coming on.

So I put the cap back on last night and drove 8 miles to the gas station this morning. The light did not go out during this trip. I filled the tank and drove 8 miles back home. The light still did not go out.

Is there a way for me to reset the Check Engine light?
Should it have gone out on its own?

The internet only tells me that the gas cap can cause the light to go on (I knew that), and only says that "for some cars" it should go out after 10 minutes if I've fixed the problem.

This is strange. I've never had this happen before, and there is no way I closed the gas cap door with the cap just flopping around.

Last edited:
This is the Mazda 5 forum, but anyway you can buy a cheap obd2 reader from walmart and shut off the light yourself.

Your local Mazda dealer probably would do it for free since its almost a brand new vehicle.

This is the Mazda 5 forum, but anyway you can buy a cheap obd2 reader from walmart and shut off the light yourself.

Your local Mazda dealer probably would do it for free since its almost a brand new vehicle.

Oops.

Thanks!

I searched to see if this had been answered before (I gotta believe it has been)...

This is a 2019 GT Reserve with less than 3,000 miles on it.

Last night I went out to dinner. I got in my car and started driving home, and about 1 mile down the road the Check Engine light came on. When I got home and looked, the gas cap was completely off, just laying there. I only had about 1/4 tank of gas left, so don't know why the Check Engine light had not lit sooner. I don't think anyone messed with the car, because I always lock my car. I can only assume I did not tighten it and it somehow unscrewed all the way without the Check Engine light coming on.

So I put the cap back on last night and drove 8 miles to the gas station this morning. The light did not go out during this trip. I filled the tank and drove 8 miles back home. The light still did not go out.

Is there a way for me to reset the Check Engine light?
Should it have gone out on its own?

The internet only tells me that the gas cap can cause the light to go on (I knew that), and only says that "for some cars" it should go out after 10 minutes if I've fixed the problem.

This is strange. I've never had this happen before, and there is no way I closed the gas cap door with the cap just flopping around.

Review Autoguysland to figure out the Check engine light issue.

You buy automotive diagnostic system known as OBD-II on Amazon, ebay that to monitors a number of engine and emissions-related components. This item can show you the issue is and you can fix the issue and then wait for the system to reset itself when it determines the problem is fixed.

Back