P2096 2018 CX-5, rocker arm recall

:
2023 CX-5 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto
RIP 8/23:2013 CX-5 Sport FWD Auto 120k
Good morning all,

Mother in law drove up to visit today and got a CEL when exiting the highway. No drivability issues, just a CEL. I brought it to Advanced Auto and got the code checked. One permanent code: P2096. Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 1. Bank 1 doesn*t actually mean anything as it*s a 4 cylinder. It*s a 2018 Grad Touring 2.5NA engine w/ ~13k miles.

Currently at the dealer getting it addressed. I was planning on bringing it by today anyway to get the PCM flashed for the rocker arm/CD recall but the CEL definitely forced my hand. I should know a little more in a couple of hours what they think the issue is. Earlier car models that had the P2096 code had a TSB to reprogram the PCM. The service clerk said the P2096 code is also mentioned as a potential code associated with the rocker arm recall. Reprogramming the PCM might kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited:
Update: two separate issues. The rocker arm recall is being handled with the known PCM update. A separate update is being handled concurrently and has a TSB for the P2096 code. Waiting for the computer at the service center to upload both updates at the same time. I*ll post some scans of the paperwork later.

No need for paperwork scan. Looks like the service center guy didn*t know the specifics. He actually backtracked his earlier statement above and said their paperwork doesn*t have any CEL codes published for the rocker arm issue (not entirely true lol). Per the invoice, only thing done to address the CEL and rocker arm recall where to do recall 3719F. PCM reprogrammed (XXR8BXFX, whatever that means). No more CEL, trip odometers reset. Everything seems good to go!

Last edited:
You're a prime candidate to have a visual inspection of your valve assemblies. When ever a CEL lights up because of the rocker arm concern it is most likely your rocker arm feel off.

Valve cover is going to stay for now. No time to get anybody to cover the cost of inspection : / my mother in law actually wanted to handle all of this another day over 100 miles from my house but I wouldn*t let her lol.

I haven*t seen the P2096 CEL code associated with the rocker arm yet on the other threads or in associated TSBs. I*m hoping it was a PCM code thrown when the cylinders turned back on when exiting the highway. The engine is running perfectly without any of the other warnings/failures reported so far.

Valve cover is going to stay for now. No time to get anybody to cover the cost of inspection : / my mother in law actually wanted to handle all of this another day over 100 miles from my house but I wouldn*t let her lol.

I haven*t seen the P2096 CEL code associated with the rocker arm yet on the other threads or in associated TSBs. I*m hoping it was a PCM code thrown when the cylinders turned back on when exiting the highway. The engine is running perfectly without any of the other warnings/failures reported so far.

CD is on cylinders 1 and 4. A lean condition on cylinder 1 might be one of the intake valves is not opening. And yes, the problem is Mazda makes the customer pay to have the valves inspected. Have your mother in law keep an eye on the CEL and if it goes on again then maybe Mazda will check the valves for free.

You got it, thanks! The reporting of the lean condition on this car with this code (if I understand correctly) comes after the catalytic converter. Bank 1 would refer to bank 1 on something like a V6. As this is a 4 cylinder the bank 1 part actually doesn*t mean anything. Car simply detected a lean condition downstream from the cat.

I have not checked my CX-5. There is typically bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 2, depending on if it's the O2 sensor before of after the CAT. Even a 4 cylinder will show this. A V6 would have bank 1 and bank 2 depending on which side of the engine it was on, and the make of the vehicle.

Back