In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338

Thread: 2002 mazda protoge manual transmission problems?

Registered Member

2002 mazda protoge manual transmission problems?

The other day I was hard shifting my protoge. My manual transmission ended up sticking in 4th gear. When I put car in neutral it was in gear. When I put the car in 1st, 2nd, 5th the car feels like it is in gear with the e brake on. It will not move no matter how much gas I use. When i put the car in reverse it wants to drive forward but with e brake feeling again. When the car is in 3rd 4th and neutral I can drive forward but feels like in 4th gear. Clutch works and let's the transmission free. When the car is being driven there is an audible clunk clunk clunk coming from transmission, mitotic area. Not sure if its clutch, transmission, or shifting linkage. Please help me guys. Much appreciated. My car is a 2.0 L

Donated: $0.61

2011 MX5 GT

Sounds like something in the linkage broke. Need to get under the car and check it out.
    Nik
    2012 Mini S Clubman

Previous:
    2011 Black MX-5 GT
    2001 Black Mica Protege ES 2.0

Registered Member

Mazda protoge transmission

Quote Originally Posted by Rederik12 View Post
    The other day I was hard shifting my protoge. My manual transmission ended up sticking in 4th gear. When I put car in neutral it was in gear. When I put the car in 1st, 2nd, 5th the car feels like it is in gear with the e brake on. It will not move no matter how much gas I use. When i put the car in reverse it wants to drive forward but with e brake feeling again. When the car is in 3rd 4th and neutral I can drive forward but feels like in 4th gear. Clutch works and let's the transmission free. When the car is being driven there is an audible clunk clunk clunk coming from transmission, mitotic area. Not sure if its clutch, transmission, or shifting linkage. Please help me guys. Much appreciated. My car is a 2.0 L

Registered Member

So I drained the manual transmission fluid and there is metal flakes in it. Is this caused from clutch or transmission going bad?

2002 mazda protege 5

The clutch is dry and sealed from the transmission.

The metal is from your transmission.
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member

2003 mazda protege lx

A little late to the thread but my 2002 protege5 recently did the same exact thing, stuck in 4th. I'm guessing it's a problem with the shift forks. As there was a negligent amount of metal flakes and it still ran fine. No noises or anything.
    Wish I could confidently say what the problem is but I have no clue. I can tell you it's an internal problem and will be easier to replace it than fix it.