Thread: 2019 cx-9 bolts rusting in wheel well?

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature

2019 cx-9 bolts rusting in wheel well?

I just noticed that there are two bolts in the rear wheel well. One of the two bolts are severely rusted. It's the exact same on the other side too! You'll see one shiny bolt right next to the rusty one. It's like they did it for a reason. I'm a bit disappointed. This car hasn't experienced any snow or salt and it's a couple of months old. One would expect car manufacturers to be using better screws by now. How are your cx-9s looking?? Maybe my car has some defective bolts that weren't treated..

Registered Member

Here they are.. for some reason only the bottom one is rusted on both sides of the vehicle. It's like a bad batch of screws or something? I cant see these rusting after a couple of months in nice weather. Makes me wonder what else is rusted already.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Hm, that's odd. I just went to take a look and both of the bolts on either side of my 2018 do not have any rust. I also noticed that I don't have any shiny bolts, mine appear to be coated/painted black. I don't think it's anything serious to worry about, I'd just unscrew them, spray them down with 3-in-One oil and screw them back in. I'm sure Mazda would replace the screws if you asked them to, though.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

I have not seen any neither, what I would do is take them of and see if its superficial rust you can spray some pb plaster and or use very light sand paper to see if it will come off.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie79 View Post
    I have not seen any neither, what I would do is take them of and see if its superficial rust you can spray some pb plaster and or use very light sand paper to see if it will come off.
    If I remove the surface rust, it will just rust again shortly. I'll have the dealer take a look. It's almost like a bad batch of screws. Hopefully.they replace it. Its doesnt look good cosmetically