Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Machine Gray paint durability

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by ralf11 View Post
    after the buffing horror of crystal soul red in another thread, I wanted to ask about the Gray paint that you can get on the CX5

Mazda charges an extra $300 for it, so regular Silver is cheaper, but how well will it hold up?

any experiences?
    That was the fault of an amateur hour detailer, not the paint.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 83k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

I can tell you the silver is much more durable on the silver than it is on the red. I can*t tell you about the grey but it is a similar application process.

2019 Mazda 3

This thread is of interest to me. Picking up my brand new 2019 3 tomorrow in machine grey. Having protex protection film applied on the entire hood and roof of the car as well as a portion of the bumper and headlights.

Seems like its a mixed opinion on the paint quality. I'm expecting typical Japanese car quality but I'm hoping for better.

Registered Member

The
    Quote Originally Posted by DwightFrye View Post
    A couple of comments about the Machine Gray paint on my new CX 5: I washed the car yesterday and wanted to "clay" it before applying wax. I used one of the Mothers Speed Clay 2.0 tools rather than the traditional clay bars. The factory paint was very smooth with hardly any contaminants. Previously the car received one hand wash by me and the dealer prep wash when I bought it and I doubt they clayed the car.

I also got a paint chip on the hood. I tend to stay way back from dump trucks and cement mixer trucks as they are known offenders in dropping rocks behind them. I was about 50 yards behind a cement truck, changed lanes to pass and as I was overtaking him WHACK a stone bounced off the hood and also put a tiny chip in the glass. GRRRRRRRR....

I bought the Dr. Colorchip kit. I followed the directions implicitly. I thought about using some 2500 wet/dry on the chip area first as it was a little jagged around the edges but was afraid to do that.
    The kit worked as advertised regarding leveling out the paint (I used three thin coats to build up the height in the chip) but the paint color was not a good match. Yes, I stirred and shook it up well but the repaired spot is noticeably darker in color.

One tip is to forget the use of a latex gloved finger to smear the paint over the chip. I used one of those little silicone squeegee wedges that come with most cell phone screen protector kits. Worked like a charm.
    I have not noticed the Dr Colorchip OEM MGM color being darker. I will post some pictures, but need to read up on how to do it in this forum :-)

2017 BMW X1

FWIW I’m shopping for a 2017 CX-5 in machine gray and have looked at about 4 in person and neither had a chipping problem. There was one with a couple chips, but the rest were flawless. And I’m talking 18-30k mileage specimens. I inspect closely due to these threads, but am not at all worried about buying a machine gray.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12