Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coasting

Registered Member

2019 Cx-5 sport

I have complained about this premature deceleration also........ , still can't get used
    to it...... 500 miles on engine....
    Coast to light , and you can feel the engine pull the speed down , especially from
    20mph to 10mph...... then at 10mph it releases or switches gears and then it'll
    coast properly ......... , it doesn't do it if I'm in sport mode...... so , it must be
    a gearing problem........ someone on another thread said to check the trans fluid
    it might be low......... but what a hassle it is to do that !

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GT AWD

If you want total coasting, then you may choose to put it in neutral so it's just the wheels rolling.

The drawbacks: probably lower mpg when coasting because the the engine must keep itself spinning/idle, and if you need power (hopefully not in an emergency), there is a delay as you must shift back into drive.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by joemazdacx5 View Post
    I have complained about this premature deceleration also........ , still can't get used
    to it...... 500 miles on engine....
    Coast to light , and you can feel the engine pull the speed down , especially from
    20mph to 10mph...... then at 10mph it releases or switches gears and then it'll
    coast properly ......... , it doesn't do it if I'm in sport mode...... so , it must be
    a gearing problem........ someone on another thread said to check the trans fluid
    it might be low......... but what a hassle it is to do that !
    500 miles........your engine isn't even broken in yet bro. Wait until after 2 oil changes later. Improved engine response and better mpgs.

Registered Member

2019 Cx-5 sport

2 oil changes.......... well that'll be 2 years............

Just not used to the drag on the cx5 from 20-10mph......... should be in 2 years though........

Registered Member

2019 CX5 Touring/Preferred Pkg

Coasting on my 2019 definitely isnít what Iím used to coming from a small sedan with a CVT transmission.
    It really does feel like the transmissions downshifts immediately, slowing down too much in a short period of time. I usually coast to get to the speed I want and give some gas while trying to keep the mpg needle above 40MPG.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

The transmission is programed to down-shift when going down a hill or coasting to a stop. I'm not sure of the algorithm though. Ed

Registered Member

Most new cars these days have some prediction software that tries to sense if the driver needs engine braking when going downhill to save the brakes from excess wear and overheating. I think they look at how the throttle/brakes have been used and possibly the incline. On my VW, it will more/less freewheel down a hill, until I touch the brakes, then it will start to downshift/engine-brake from this point forward as long as I don't touch the throttle.

If it bothers you, I'd experiment with how you're using the brakes/throttle on various inclines and see if you can "fool" it into letting things go more.

- Mark

Registered Member

2019 CX5 Touring/Preferred Pkg

What I am able to do is predict how much traffic will slow on the highway by looking at the cars in front of the car immediately in front of me and their brake lights. Iíll let off the gas and let it coast. In city driving, if itís a red or yellow, Iíll slowly creep up while aiming for that 40MPG sweet spot. I had an CVT Civic before the CX5 and boy was the MPGs great on that car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12