Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23

Thread: Coasting

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD machine grey

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    3

    Coasting

    I really like my 2018 CX-5, but one of my peeves is that it starts losing speed as soon as I let off the gas. I like to coast to red lights and stop signs but the CX-5 slows down and downshifts without me even hitting the brakes. I'd say it coasts worse than any car I've ever driven.

    This is probably how the car is designed and it's no more than a nuisance but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this?

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    7,729
    My 2019 coasts very well. My 2015 did pretty decent.

  3. #3
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    28
    My 2019 coasts almost too well for what I'm used to at least. There's specifically an uphill ramp off a highway where with my old car I would have to stay on the accelerator, but the cx-5 goes entirely too fast still once I'm approaching the stop sign et the end.

  4. #4
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    27
    I have mixed experience on my 2019 GT. Most of time, it coasts fine. But, there are sometime that the car slows down even it goes down the hill. I don't know if I don't have enough speed so that the gear position makes it slow down or not. But, it happened couple of times.

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    2016 CX5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by mazda-4-ever View Post
    I have mixed experience on my 2019 GT. Most of time, it coasts fine. But, there are sometime that the car slows down even it goes down the hill. I don't know if I don't have enough speed so that the gear position makes it slow down or not. But, it happened couple of times.
    It's engine braking, saves brake pads.

  6. #6
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by wlong01 View Post
    It's engine braking, saves brake pads.
    Thanks, do you know what triggers the engine braking? For my commute, there are couples of lengthy downhill where I just want it to let go.

  7. #7
    Registered Member CX-5um's Avatar

    13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    3,209
    Quote Originally Posted by TFunk View Post
    I really like my 2018 CX-5, but one of my peeves is that it starts losing speed as soon as I let off the gas. I like to coast to red lights and stop signs but the CX-5 slows down and downshifts without me even hitting the brakes. I'd say it coasts worse than any car I've ever driven.

    This is probably how the car is designed and it's no more than a nuisance but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this?
    Perhaps you need to coast faster? Try testing different speeds till you find that sweet spot.

  8. #8
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - southern Oregon
    Posts
    2,222
    Quote Originally Posted by mazda-4-ever View Post
    Thanks, do you know what triggers the engine braking? For my commute, there are couples of lengthy downhill where I just want it to let go.
    It's always there, it's simply due to compression. It's not a "thing" like regenerative braking.

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    468
    Mine has some engine braking. I like it. When I see a red light ahead I take my foot off the gas and coast to it not having to press the brake too soon. It doesn't have any impact on the MGP, it doesn't slow down that much.

  10. #10
    Registered Member

    2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by wlong01 View Post
    It's engine braking, saves brake pads.
    Also save fuel compared to pressing the brakes.

  11. #11
    Banned Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

    '15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    6,224
    Quote Originally Posted by mazda-4-ever View Post
    Thanks, do you know what triggers the engine braking? For my commute, there are couples of lengthy downhill where I just want it to let go.
    All you have to do is get rid of your compression. There are a couple of ways to do so.

  12. #12
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    All you have to do is get rid of your compression. There are a couple of ways to do so.
    Can you teach me some?

  13. #13
    Registered Member CX-5um's Avatar

    13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    3,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    All you have to do is get rid of your compression. There are a couple of ways to do so.
    ...the dark side of the force has many benefits.

  14. #14
    Registered Member

    2016 CX5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by mazda-4-ever View Post
    Thanks, do you know what triggers the engine braking? For my commute, there are couples of lengthy downhill where I just want it to let go.
    Not sure, on the CX-5 it's pretty subtle. My wife's CR-V seems like it downshift 2 gears on large hills when you let off the accelerator. Maybe that's why her brake pads last for 80,000 miles.

  15. #15
    Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    5,193
    Mine coasts great, or engine brakes great. Manual mode certainly helps too.

    I think give it some time, drive it a little differently. It'll work for you. Just gotta find that sweet spot in the areas you want to coast.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 83k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. No coasting in 2017 AWD GT?
    By probuilders1 in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-15-2017, 12:35 PM
  2. Grinding noise when coasting
    By JackieSteinmetz in forum CX-9 General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 12:59 PM
  3. coasting in neutral ?
    By johngalt929 in forum Mazda5 General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 10:04 PM
  4. 95 Protege bucking when coasting, please help
    By MightyMazda2 in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 09:50 AM
  5. Vibration & Rattle from clutch...when coasting above 60 MPH
    By csman22 in forum Mazdaspeed Protege
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 03:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •