2013~2016 Coasting

TFunk

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD machine grey
I really like my 2018 CX-5, but one of my peeves is that it starts losing speed as soon as I let off the gas. I like to coast to red lights and stop signs but the CX-5 slows down and downshifts without me even hitting the brakes. I'd say it coasts worse than any car I've ever driven.

This is probably how the car is designed and it's no more than a nuisance but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this?

My 2019 coasts almost too well for what I'm used to at least. There's specifically an uphill ramp off a highway where with my old car I would have to stay on the accelerator, but the cx-5 goes entirely too fast still once I'm approaching the stop sign et the end.

I have mixed experience on my 2019 GT. Most of time, it coasts fine. But, there are sometime that the car slows down even it goes down the hill. I don't know if I don't have enough speed so that the gear position makes it slow down or not. But, it happened couple of times.

I have mixed experience on my 2019 GT. Most of time, it coasts fine. But, there are sometime that the car slows down even it goes down the hill. I don't know if I don't have enough speed so that the gear position makes it slow down or not. But, it happened couple of times.

It's engine braking, saves brake pads.

I really like my 2018 CX-5, but one of my peeves is that it starts losing speed as soon as I let off the gas. I like to coast to red lights and stop signs but the CX-5 slows down and downshifts without me even hitting the brakes. I'd say it coasts worse than any car I've ever driven.

This is probably how the car is designed and it's no more than a nuisance but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so I'm wondering if anyone else experiences this?

Perhaps you need to coast faster? Try testing different speeds till you find that sweet spot.

Thanks, do you know what triggers the engine braking? For my commute, there are couples of lengthy downhill where I just want it to let go.

It's always there, it's simply due to compression. It's not a "thing" like regenerative braking.

Mine has some engine braking. I like it. When I see a red light ahead I take my foot off the gas and coast to it not having to press the brake too soon. It doesn't have any impact on the MGP, it doesn't slow down that much.

Thanks, do you know what triggers the engine braking? For my commute, there are couples of lengthy downhill where I just want it to let go.

All you have to do is get rid of your compression. There are a couple of ways to do so. (gossip)

Not sure, on the CX-5 it's pretty subtle. My wife's CR-V seems like it downshift 2 gears on large hills when you let off the accelerator. Maybe that's why her brake pads last for 80,000 miles.

Mine coasts great, or engine brakes great. Manual mode certainly helps too.

I think give it some time, drive it a little differently. It'll work for you. Just gotta find that sweet spot in the areas you want to coast.

I have complained about this premature deceleration also........ , still can't get used
to it...... 500 miles on engine....
Coast to light , and you can feel the engine pull the speed down , especially from
20mph to 10mph...... then at 10mph it releases or switches gears and then it'll
coast properly ......... , it doesn't do it if I'm in sport mode...... so , it must be
a gearing problem........ someone on another thread said to check the trans fluid
it might be low......... but what a hassle it is to do that !

If you want total coasting, then you may choose to put it in neutral so it's just the wheels rolling.

The drawbacks: probably lower mpg when coasting because the the engine must keep itself spinning/idle, and if you need power (hopefully not in an emergency), there is a delay as you must shift back into drive.

I have complained about this premature deceleration also........ , still can't get used
to it...... 500 miles on engine....
Coast to light , and you can feel the engine pull the speed down , especially from
20mph to 10mph...... then at 10mph it releases or switches gears and then it'll
coast properly ......... , it doesn't do it if I'm in sport mode...... so , it must be
a gearing problem........ someone on another thread said to check the trans fluid
it might be low......... but what a hassle it is to do that !

500 miles........your engine isn't even broken in yet bro. Wait until after 2 oil changes later. Improved engine response and better mpgs.

2 oil changes.......... well that'll be 2 years............

Just not used to the drag on the cx5 from 20-10mph......... should be in 2 years though........

Coasting on my 2019 definitely isnt what Im used to coming from a small sedan with a CVT transmission.
It really does feel like the transmissions downshifts immediately, slowing down too much in a short period of time. I usually coast to get to the speed I want and give some gas while trying to keep the mpg needle above 40MPG.

Back