Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '16 CX-5 sport battery

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport

'16 CX-5 sport battery

So I went to Walmart last week and got my original battery on my cx-5 sport replaced with an Interstate 35-3 battery I bought from Costco. I opened up the hood today to find out that they did not put the heat shield back while installing the new battery.

I called the store and they said maybe the shield didn't fit around the new Interstate battery. In any case the manager said to bring in a new battery heat shield and they will re-imburse me and install it.

Is this heat shield needed around the new battery? Anyone installed the Costco Interstate battery 35-3 with the heat shield on?

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

You bought a new battery at Walmart and then had it installed at Costco and didn't bother to check the work immediately after they were done?
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

+1.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport

Sorry but I had to be in the office for an important meeting. I hope you can trust service places to do the work properly.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by txt990 View Post
    I hope you can trust service places to do the work properly.
    I have some nice waterfront property for sale down your way.....

You would hope, but often be disappointed.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

Sorry but I had to be in the office for an important meeting. I hope you can trust service places to do the work properly.
    You have a lot to learn grasshopper.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

So I went to Walmart last week and got my original battery on my cx-5 sport replaced with an Interstate 35-3 battery I bought from Costco. I opened up the hood today to find out that they did not put the heat shield back while installing the new battery.

I called the store and they said maybe the shield didn't fit around the new Interstate battery. In any case the manager said to bring in a new battery heat shield and they will re-imburse me and install it.

Is this heat shield needed around the new battery? Anyone installed the Costco Interstate battery 35-3 with the heat shield on?
    These guys sure are quick with the colorful commentary.

I don't think the heat shield is an absolute necessity, but it doesn't hurt anything to keep it on. If it were me, I would get a new battery shield from the dealer and get Costco to reimburse the cost and install it.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

Sounds to me like he got a Costco battery and got Walmart to install it, not the other way 'round.

Oddly enough we also got a Costco battery last year for our 2014. But I installed it myself, because it's just a battery. Easy peasy. But then again no one else works on my cars but me.
    1994 Acura Integra GSR - 368K miles, a few mods
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring - 88K miles, the family hauler!

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post

If it were me, I would get a new battery shield from the dealer and get Costco to reimburse the cost and install it.
    Yes he said that is what he is going to do in his first post except walmart is going to reimburse him since they installed the battery, the battery was purchased at Costco but he had walmart install it...

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    These guys sure are quick with the colorful commentary.

I don't think the heat shield is an absolute necessity, but it doesn't hurt anything to keep it on. If it were me, I would get a new battery shield from the dealer and get Costco to reimburse the cost and install it.
    They sure do! The Walmart manager told me to buy the heat shield and they will re-imburse me and also put it on the battery.

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Sounds to me like he got a Costco battery and got Walmart to install it, not the other way 'round.

Oddly enough we also got a Costco battery last year for our 2014. But I installed it myself, because it's just a battery. Easy peasy. But then again no one else works on my cars but me.
    So when you installed the Costco Interstate battery, did the heat shield fit on properly on the new battery? I assume you got the Group 35/Fitment 3 Interstate battery from Costco? How do you like the battery?

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

To answer your original question, the heat shield fits fine with the Costco Interstate group 35 battery. I put the same battery in my CX-5 to replace my 6 year old factory battery.

It's also super easy to replace yourself instead of numbnuts at Walmart. The only hard part was getting the old battery out since it didn't have a handle. And on the Interstate battery, the handle kind of gets in the way of the bar that latches the battery down, but you can work with it.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 06-17-2019 at 02:14 PM.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 84k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    To answer your original question, the heat shield fits fine with the Costco Interstate group 35 battery. I put the same battery in my CX-5 to replace my 6 year old factory battery.

It's also super easy to replace yourself instead of numbnuts at Walmart. The only hard part was getting the old battery out since it didn't have a handle. And on the Interstate battery, the handle kind of gets in the way of the bar that latches the battery down, but you can work with it.
    Good call on shopping for a battery with handles. I've got Sciata flaring up when I lift things from weird angles. Having handles helps give me leverage to lift with better posture/technique.

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Good call on shopping for a battery with handles. I've got Sciata flaring up when I lift things from weird angles. Having handles helps give me leverage to lift with better posture/technique.
    According to WebMD.com, Sciatica can be made worse by being overweight, not getting enough exercise, or sleeping on a mattress that is too hard or soft.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

Registered Member

2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport

So I managed to get Walmart to put on a new replacement battery cover for the interstate battery. They also re-imbursed me for the cover they had originally not put on.. They did a battery check on the new interstate battery that I had bought from Costco & installed at Walmart, and they said the Interstate battery is bad.

Apparently according to their diagnosis its showing 402 CCA out of the 550 CCA its rated for. I just got the battery last week, how can it drop so much? It's in a 2016 CX-5 sport. I do live in hot and humid South Florida.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast