Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Upset beyond belief, 3-day old 2019 Signature damaged by detailer!

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

glad you got it resolved! that's great news and it worked out for you.
    After seeing the damage, i would be pissed especially since it's a new car, but after calming down, i think a simple touch up paint and polish would be ok.
    After all, it is a car, and although we all want it to keep looking pristine, it's always not going to be like that unfortunately.

I'm a very picky person, but with age and experience, i learned to let a lot of things go.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Right. He polished it. Looks like this guy took a heavy cutting pad with an angle grinder LOL. Or he's especially amateur.

Yeah I would expect a quality PPF installer to do their own polishing.
    If needed. My PPF said it was not necessary on mine. He did all the necessary cleaning to remove any oils or waxes before application. Cleaning the surface from oils, waxes and fillers is the most important aspect.
    The end result looked very good since there were no swirl marks on the brand new CX-5. It has orange peel, but with the thin Mazda paint and clear coat that is too risky to correct.

I did the opposite of the OP. I had an appointment with Atlanta Protective Film first thing after buying. He did his magic and then I detailed it later, which included adding coating and sealants on the film. The film can be cleaned and coated just like the rest of the car.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Young-nyc View Post
    glad you got it resolved! that's great news and it worked out for you.
    After seeing the damage, i would be pissed especially since it's a new car, but after calming down, i think a simple touch up paint and polish would be ok.
    After all, it is a car, and although we all want it to keep looking pristine, it's always not going to be like that unfortunately.

I'm a very picky person, but with age and experience, i learned to let a lot of things go.
    The problem is soul red crystal is very hard to impossible to touch up.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 83k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    If needed.
    Right. I did mention that before.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

Right. I did mention that before.
    Yep. I felt like it could be mentioned a few more times.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    Yep. I felt like it could be mentioned a few more times.

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

The problem is soul red crystal is very hard to impossible to touch up.
    Yes the mazda touchup paint definitely does not match, that's for sure,
    but it all honesty, it adds character to the car...it's not perfect.

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Young-nyc View Post
    Personally I can appreciate that sentiment, but I know that I'd want to get something like this fixed/resolved no matter what. Absolutely no way I'd roll over on this, because I would see it (or the repair) every single time I went to open that door. Unacceptable to me.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by geek755 View Post
    I called the dealer and they agree to immediately to swap the vehicles!! The sale manager even apologized and said he should have thought of that sooner.
    Part of his job is to NOT think of that!

Glad YOU thought of it!!

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

I'd be pissed, too, and wouldn't let it slide. And of course I wouldn't go back to that guy.

But just remember, shit happens. The guy blew it. It's just a mistake. It doesn't make the guy an amateur or an idiot. There's no telling what caused him to do that. He was distracted by something, or his mind wandered for a second. That doesn't make it ok, but that's life.

The person who hasn't ever made a mistake doesn't exist. It's easy to criticize.

Registered Member

So there are three colors of *premium paint*. The red, grey and white with the red being the most expensive. More steps in the spraying process or something like that. If it is in fact not as durable than regular paint then they should offer ceramic coat.
    2019 CX5 GT deep crystal blue mica

Registered Member

2008 mx-5 GT Niseko

Quote Originally Posted by sm1ke View Post
    Personally I can appreciate that sentiment, but I know that I'd want to get something like this fixed/resolved no matter what. Absolutely no way I'd roll over on this, because I would see it (or the repair) every single time I went to open that door. Unacceptable to me.
    ^^^ This.

I'm a car guy. Have been since I was a kid and I notice the smallest details and can usually spot a repainted panel. I had very low confidence in the repair being done correctly, replacing the car was by far the best solution. Let somebody who is not picky by the car with the resprayed door, my wife I would have always noticed it.

The dealer called me today and said they wanted me to pay their cost to fix the issue. They will let me know the cost tomorrow (to be paid by detailer). I am good with this, even if I come out of pocket myself. When the color doesn't match, it's between them and the body shop.

Registered Member

2008 mx-5 GT Niseko

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    I'd be pissed, too, and wouldn't let it slide. And of course I wouldn't go back to that guy.

But just remember, shit happens. The guy blew it. It's just a mistake. It doesn't make the guy an amateur or an idiot. There's no telling what caused him to do that. He was distracted by something, or his mind wandered for a second. That doesn't make it ok, but that's life.

The person who hasn't ever made a mistake doesn't exist. It's easy to criticize.
    This is true. To the detailer's credit, he was quick to admit fault, apologize and said he would 100% take of it. He went with me to the dealer and we waited around for more than an hour and was quick to admit he had created the problem without blaming the paint or anything else. He texted me today to follow up as well. Hard to fault the way he has handled himself, but it's hard to get over the hassle and frustration his mistake has cost us either.

Registered Member

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto

I get it, but slightly mystified as to why the dude who did the detailing can't pay the cost. If I were running my own business, wouldn't liability insurance cover costs of your errors? That's IF he was insured and whether or not liability insurance works like that. I'm completely speculating.

EDIT: just saw your most recent post. Maybe he will cover the cost. Glad he's handling it professionally to this point.

2017 BMW X1

Quote Originally Posted by Sterg View Post
    So there are three colors of *premium paint*. The red, grey and white with the red being the most expensive. More steps in the spraying process or something like that. If it is in fact not as durable than regular paint then they should offer ceramic coat.
    Well just to be clear, the OP*s problem has nothing to do with Mazda*s paint. When you polish, you are only affecting the clear coat layer unless you mess up like this guy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast