Upset beyond belief, 3-day old 2019 Signature damaged by detailer!

^^^ This.

I'm a car guy. Have been since I was a kid and I notice the smallest details and can usually spot a repainted panel. I had very low confidence in the repair being done correctly, replacing the car was by far the best solution. Let somebody who is not picky by the car with the resprayed door, my wife I would have always noticed it.

The dealer called me today and said they wanted me to pay their cost to fix the issue. They will let me know the cost tomorrow (to be paid by detailer). I am good with this, even if I come out of pocket myself. When the color doesn't match, it's between them and the body shop.

It*s great that the dealer replaced the vehicle. I wasn*t so lucky with a Focus I had bought *new* with 300 miles on it. I thought there was just a smudge on the door when I looked at it. After I took it home and when I did the first wash I noticed extensive body work down the side of it. To top things off, I checked the oil before a long trip and it wasn*t even registering on the stick. The dealer did nothing for me. They finally admitted that it had *lot damage*. I*m convinced it was in an accident and something happened to the motor as I had to add oil every 1000 miles. I got rid of it fairly quick. The Focus is basically a Mazda 3. (nailbyt)

Last edited:
After reading this thread I need to go out and get a clay bar now. Thanks fellas, lol! My wife is going to think I*m crazy but it sounds like a no brainer at least once a year prior to waxing. I don*t know how I didn*t come across this concept before.

After reading this thread I need to go out and get a clay bar now. Thanks fellas, lol! My wife is going to think I*m crazy but it sounds like a no brainer at least once a year prior to waxing. I don*t know how I didn*t come across this concept before.

Definitely recommended...this is what my clay bar looked like on my brand new, 1 week old CX-5 that had only 5 delivery miles on it.
clay.jpg

Buy lots of tape to protect areas that you don't want clayed...
dside.jpg

I go through this once a year - wife thinks I'm nuts but she loves her clean car!!
20180916-093431.jpg

Plus consider Iron-X or similar for decontamination as well. Clay bar or NanoMitt and then Iron-X. It is amazing what it pulls out of the surface. It is not as if you can feel it like with how the clay bar feels, but if you have never tried it can be shocking as you watch it work.

Don't let the above photos intimidate you, taping is highly unnecessary, unless you're using a buffer afterwards to polish etc. (which I see pictured). Clay bar and duties done by hand, not needed...

Back