Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upset beyond belief, 3-day old 2019 Signature damaged by detailer!

Registered Member

2019 cx-5 signature. 2019 cx-3 awd touring

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonLewis View Post
    I agree, and you*re right, here most of the cars getting the full treatment are $100k+ cars, and the owners have like 5 different ones, lol, must be nice...
    haha, we're definitely doing something wrong! =P

Donated: $15

CX-5 Touring 2016.5

After 7 years
    Cost of CX5: 30K USD
    Cost of PPF and paint repair: 10K USD

Excuse me while I buy some tactical wipes from Alex Jones website. Only $120/-

Official Defender of Zamdatm

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport

For a daily driver, paint correction is not needed on a brand new car in my opinion. My car looks glossy as heck, I am very happy even without paint correction. It just needs a wash with dawn to take off what ever cheap wax the dealer put on, and then apply the coatings.
    It is so hard to believe that a 'detailer' screwed up a brand new factory fresh car. What part of the car got damaged?

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Where is this burn? The neck of matching paint is both colour and finish and when I had a tangle with a truck, it went to Mazda*s own bodyshop. Guess who was the first SRC they*d ever attempted? I asked the NOT to put it out in the rain and they did but I could still see it. I ended up in arbitration with them and eventually gave up and bought a silver one. It might as well have been blue paint they applied because it shouted off the effin rooftops at me. The colour was too dark (nearly maroon) and the finish was too orange peel so it was a double whammy. They even had the paint manufacturer- PPG out and they couldn*t paint it. The was 18 months ago and they might have mastered it but if you are as fussy as I am.......

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 Touring White

When I bought mine in 2013 I had Atlanta Protective Film (owner and installer) put Xpel. I believe it cost me $600 to do the front and amazingly he treated my meager CX-5 just the same as the high end cars. He did tell me that putting more above the front hood is a waste of money for my car because in his observations that SUV/CUV rarely get a rock hit further up on the hood. He did the mirrors and door cups. You can see the line on this picture. 6 years / 75,000 miles and the film has just a few minor spots from hard hits, but the paint below is in great shape.

In terms of coatings I did my first ceramic coating last year with a supposed 5 year life. 15 hours of hard labor mostly prepping the car and about $200 in some extra detailing supplies and the Gtechniq CSL and EVO coating. After doing this I understood why reputable pro detailers can be upward of $2K. I was sore for several days after this effort, but happy with the results. I learned a lot studying up and in the experience.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT

Always go to a detailer that works on Telsa's. They are known to have the absolutely worst paint of any company. When I have my CX-9 done (Grey) he measured the paint (I don't remember the thickness) and he said it was comparable to other cars and not that bad.
    2014 Silver Mazda CX-5 GT
    2017 Eternal Blue Mazda 3 Touring
    2018 Machine Grey Mazda CX-9 Signature

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Felt_Rider View Post
    When I bought mine in 2013 I had Atlanta Protective Film (owner and installer) put Xpel. I believe it cost me $600 to do the front and amazingly he treated my meager CX-5 just the same as the high end cars. He did tell me that putting more above the front hood is a waste of money for my car because in his observations that SUV/CUV rarely get a rock hit further up on the hood. He did the mirrors and door cups. You can see the line on this picture. 6 years / 75,000 miles and the film has just a few minor spots from hard hits, but the paint below is in great shape.

In terms of coatings I did my first ceramic coating last year with a supposed 5 year life. 15 hours of hard labor mostly prepping the car and about $200 in some extra detailing supplies and the Gtechniq CSL and EVO coating. After doing this I understood why reputable pro detailers can be upward of $2K. I was sore for several days after this effort, but happy with the results. I learned a lot studying up and in the experience.
    I can tell you it's not a waste of money with a CX5, the way the hood is shaped. Do the whole hood. On something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee, etc? They have more "flat" hoods with less rake. Much safer not to.

Registered Member

I only have about 4500 miles on mine, deep blue, and already have little chips in the hood and blemishes from bird crap. I wanted to wait to clay bar it. Can anyone tell me what the best wax is for protection? synthetic or carnuba? OP, sorry to hear of your mishap.
    2019 CX5 GT deep crystal blue mica

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Sterg View Post
    I only have about 4500 miles on mine, deep blue, and already have little chips in the hood and blemishes from bird crap. I wanted to wait to clay bar it. Can anyone tell me what the best wax is for protection? synthetic or carnuba? OP, sorry to hear of your mishap.
    I've been really happy with this product. In the past, I've used all sorts of other stuff. This is my go-to, now.

Banned

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

A good wash and clay bar is all that the detailer should've done to the OP's car...

Registered Member

Sterg,

Nu Finish NFP80 was rated best for wax for durability; not so great for gloss by Cons. Reports - they didn't test every wax or glaze on the market of course

Meguairs told me their Ultimate is the most longlasting product they make

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I've been really happy with this product. In the past, I've used all sorts of other stuff. This is my go-to, now.

Thanks Unobtanium.I hear its good on the black trim too?
    A good wash and clay bar is all that the detailer should've done to the OP's car...
    I agree. I asked the dealer how long I should wait to wax mine and he said "Why wax it?" One extreme to the other,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ralf11 View Post
    Sterg,

Nu Finish NFP80 was rated best for wax for durability; not so great for gloss by Cons. Reports - they didn't test every wax or glaze on the market of course

Meguairs told me their Ultimate is the most longlasting product they make
    Thanks ralf11. I may it a try. I am a big fan of Maquires, so maybe the ultimate. That's a synthetic I think.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Banned

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

Wash, clay bar, Car Pro Essence Xtreme, and Meg Ultimate looked great on mine (I normally use expensive Pinnacle). Washing was easy, seemed to take longer to get dirty, and I refreshed with Quik Wax (now Beadmaker because I ran out)...

Plan is to redo it all and hit it with the ceramic coating I have when it cools down in the Fall...

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I can tell you it's not a waste of money with a CX5, the way the hood is shaped. Do the whole hood. On something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee, etc? They have more "flat" hoods with less rake. Much safer not to.
    I agree.

I've never had any protection on my car be it a bra, PPF, whatever. You can tell too. Sure the front of the hood has the most rock chips, but they go back.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 83k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Agreed. Unless you bought a car that had some horrendous dealer installed scratches (first, don't buy any new car looking like that), more so than simply swirl marks which a polishing should take care of, but you really shouldn't even have that on a new car unless it went through a dealer car wash, there is no reason for detailer to be using a heavy cutting compound to the point they are burning through the paint.

Really wash and clay would have been sufficient with a light polishing if it needed it. The fact the detailer was doing anything that burned through the paint on a brand new car screams amateur hour to me.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast