Upset beyond belief, 3-day old 2019 Signature damaged by detailer!

Agreed.

Seriously OP, I'd appreciate you following up and letting us know!

Also, dude...don't let that idiot near any of your cars again. He's not a pro, no matter what references claim. This is NOT the fault of Mazda's paint.

I agree. Looks like he used an angle grinder instead of careful finesse. Wow!

For those that are car geeks..........
This video impressed me in some of the things the detailer described in preparation of adding PPF.
I am just adding this for those that might be interested in this sort of stuff. Not adding this to imply we would go to this level for a disposable daily commuter. But some good hints in this video. The most crucial part is that the detailer went to extra lengths to get the surface clean even from fillers added by Ford so that the film will adhere to the car. This is something about cars that I just love and watch continually each night.

Still confused on why you need to find a detailer before you go to the PPF installer...

How the Hell does the installer not do his own detail work?

Hate to say it, but I wouldn*t trust the PPF installer, either...

Still confused on why you need to find a detailer before you go to the PPF installer...

How the Hell does the installer not do his own detail work?

Hate to say it, but I wouldn*t trust the PPF installer, either...

My PPF installer polished my CX5 before installing PPF. Absolutely no issues. Of course, he does stuff like Ford GT's and lambos, so I expected nothing less.

My PPF installer polished my CX5 before installing PPF. Absolutely no issues. Of course, he does stuff like Ford GT's and lambos, so I expected nothing less.

Think you missed my point. An installer that doesn*t or can*t do his own paint correction Work is not a PPF installer I would trust or use because it*s part of the process and built into the price...

The installer here is the official installer of BMW NA. They come from thousands of miles to get it done here (trailer a lot in, I*ve seen it)...If you get your BMW delivered at the Performance Center (everyone that buys one should take advantage of this), this is the guy that gets her looking spiffy...

Right. He polished it. Looks like this guy took a heavy cutting pad with an angle grinder LOL. Or he's especially amateur.

Yeah I would expect a quality PPF installer to do their own polishing.

glad you got it resolved! that's great news and it worked out for you.
After seeing the damage, i would be pissed especially since it's a new car, but after calming down, i think a simple touch up paint and polish would be ok.
After all, it is a car, and although we all want it to keep looking pristine, it's always not going to be like that unfortunately.

I'm a very picky person, but with age and experience, i learned to let a lot of things go.

Right. He polished it. Looks like this guy took a heavy cutting pad with an angle grinder LOL. Or he's especially amateur.

Yeah I would expect a quality PPF installer to do their own polishing.

If needed. My PPF said it was not necessary on mine. He did all the necessary cleaning to remove any oils or waxes before application. Cleaning the surface from oils, waxes and fillers is the most important aspect.
The end result looked very good since there were no swirl marks on the brand new CX-5. It has orange peel, but with the thin Mazda paint and clear coat that is too risky to correct.

I did the opposite of the OP. I had an appointment with Atlanta Protective Film first thing after buying. He did his magic and then I detailed it later, which included adding coating and sealants on the film. The film can be cleaned and coated just like the rest of the car.

glad you got it resolved! that's great news and it worked out for you.
After seeing the damage, i would be pissed especially since it's a new car, but after calming down, i think a simple touch up paint and polish would be ok.
After all, it is a car, and although we all want it to keep looking pristine, it's always not going to be like that unfortunately.

I'm a very picky person, but with age and experience, i learned to let a lot of things go.
The problem is soul red crystal is very hard to impossible to touch up.

Personally I can appreciate that sentiment, but I know that I'd want to get something like this fixed/resolved no matter what. Absolutely no way I'd roll over on this, because I would see it (or the repair) every single time I went to open that door. Unacceptable to me.

I called the dealer and they agree to immediately to swap the vehicles!! The sale manager even apologized and said he should have thought of that sooner.
Part of his job is to NOT think of that!

Glad YOU thought of it!!

I'd be pissed, too, and wouldn't let it slide. And of course I wouldn't go back to that guy.

But just remember, s*** happens. The guy blew it. It's just a mistake. It doesn't make the guy an amateur or an idiot. There's no telling what caused him to do that. He was distracted by something, or his mind wandered for a second. That doesn't make it ok, but that's life.

The person who hasn't ever made a mistake doesn't exist. It's easy to criticize.

So there are three colors of *premium paint*. The red, grey and white with the red being the most expensive. More steps in the spraying process or something like that. If it is in fact not as durable than regular paint then they should offer ceramic coat.

Personally I can appreciate that sentiment, but I know that I'd want to get something like this fixed/resolved no matter what. Absolutely no way I'd roll over on this, because I would see it (or the repair) every single time I went to open that door. Unacceptable to me.

^^^ This.

I'm a car guy. Have been since I was a kid and I notice the smallest details and can usually spot a repainted panel. I had very low confidence in the repair being done correctly, replacing the car was by far the best solution. Let somebody who is not picky by the car with the resprayed door, my wife I would have always noticed it.

The dealer called me today and said they wanted me to pay their cost to fix the issue. They will let me know the cost tomorrow (to be paid by detailer). I am good with this, even if I come out of pocket myself. When the color doesn't match, it's between them and the body shop.

I'd be pissed, too, and wouldn't let it slide. And of course I wouldn't go back to that guy.

But just remember, s*** happens. The guy blew it. It's just a mistake. It doesn't make the guy an amateur or an idiot. There's no telling what caused him to do that. He was distracted by something, or his mind wandered for a second. That doesn't make it ok, but that's life.

The person who hasn't ever made a mistake doesn't exist. It's easy to criticize.

This is true. To the detailer's credit, he was quick to admit fault, apologize and said he would 100% take of it. He went with me to the dealer and we waited around for more than an hour and was quick to admit he had created the problem without blaming the paint or anything else. He texted me today to follow up as well. Hard to fault the way he has handled himself, but it's hard to get over the hassle and frustration his mistake has cost us either.

I get it, but slightly mystified as to why the dude who did the detailing can't pay the cost. If I were running my own business, wouldn't liability insurance cover costs of your errors? That's IF he was insured and whether or not liability insurance works like that. I'm completely speculating.

EDIT: just saw your most recent post. Maybe he will cover the cost. Glad he's handling it professionally to this point.

So there are three colors of *premium paint*. The red, grey and white with the red being the most expensive. More steps in the spraying process or something like that. If it is in fact not as durable than regular paint then they should offer ceramic coat.

Well just to be clear, the OP*s problem has nothing to do with Mazda*s paint. When you polish, you are only affecting the clear coat layer unless you mess up like this guy.

Back