2019 2.5T Whining Type of Noise

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
I purchased a 2019 CX-5 Signature in January 2019 and a few weeks ago I stated hearing a strange noise. While driving in the speed range of 80 km (49 miles) right up to 89 km (55 miles) there is a faint whining type of noise. Taking ones foot of the gas pedal the noise stops but resumes by pressing on the gas again. The sound is not present in any other speed ranges.

I brought the car in today for its first 8,000 km service and and reported the problem. This is what they wrote on the bill.

Whining type of noise while driving at around 80/KMH road tested vehicle - sound is very faint compared against other new vehicles and same sound is present - normal operating sounds - OK

Was told that only the turbo models had said noise and that Mazda was aware of it. Bascically a standard answer from manufacturers when a problem is reported but they have no clue as to what the problem is.

Any one else with a 2.5T encounter this noise at said speed?

I have no experience with the Mazda turbo, but I do know that turbos can tend to make noises, especially the kind you're describing.
I'd just listen for any changes, and if it doesn't change, and performance doesn't change, no worries.

I purchased a 2019 CX-5 Signature in January 2019 and a few weeks ago I stated hearing a strange noise. While driving in the speed range of 80 km (49 miles) right up to 89 km (55 miles) there is a faint whining type of noise. Taking ones foot of the gas pedal the noise stops but resumes by pressing on the gas again. The sound is not present in any other speed ranges.

I brought the car in today for its first 8,000 km service and and reported the problem. This is what they wrote on the bill.

Whining type of noise while driving at around 80/KMH road tested vehicle - sound is very faint compared against other new vehicles and same sound is present - normal operating sounds - OK

Was told that only the turbo models had said noise and that Mazda was aware of it. Bascically a standard answer from manufacturers when a problem is reported but they have no clue as to what the problem is.

Any one else with a 2.5T encounter this noise at said speed?

Basically having the same noise... I wonder if the CX-9s do it too. There's another thread on here about the noise but I think they attributed it to the fuel injectors or something of the sort.

That might be the turbo spooling up. Turbos spin at really high rpms.

Can you record the sound you are experiencing?

That might be the turbo spooling up. Turbos spin at really high rpms.

Can you record the sound you are experiencing?

Its to faint of a noise to record and you can only hear it while not playing any music. Interestingly my wife is not very observant when it comes to noises and she hears it as well.

I can hear the turbo while accelerating but why Im getting the turbo noise while cruising in the 49 to 55 mph range I don't know. Would I not get the noise all the time at any cruising speed if it was normal? But beleive me I would not whant that to occur.

Wonder if the gas octane has anything to do with it. I recently switched from premium to regular because our government decided to punish us even further for driving vehicles by adding another fuel tax called a Carbon Tax. With the end result of our fuel skyrocketing what with the usual summer increase and now the added Carbon Tax on top of it.

I will go back to premium and see if the noise goes away. I doubt it but I will try it anyways.

It*s to faint of a noise to record and you can only hear it while not playing any music. Interestingly my wife is not very observant when it comes to noises and she hears it as well.

I can hear the turbo while accelerating but why I*m getting the turbo noise while cruising in the 49 to 55 mph range I don't know. Would I not get the noise all the time at any cruising speed if it was normal? But beleive me I would not whant that to occur.

Three ideas:

If you're cruising, not accelerating, the turbo isn't doing much. Don't know about this turbo, but others have waste gates to divert the "unused" exhaust gas from the turbo to keep it from spooling.

I understand this turbo has two stages, so maybe it has to do with the transition between low and high speed stages.

Another possibility is a sympathetic vibration somewhere.

I get the same thing at one specific part of my commute - under heavy acceleration going uphill (essentially a power merge). At first I thought it was tire squeal. If I back off a bit the noise goes away.

Back