June Sales - USA

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
CX5 up for the month. Every other car down.
Overall down 15% versus last year.

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/mazda-reports-june-sales-results/

June-Sales-Results-1024x518.jpg

Not good at all. Mazda needs to re-think every model except for the Miata and the CX-5. All others are DOA (Mazda 3) or just dead (6, cx-3 and CX-9). The 3 has had declining sales month over month for a long time. The last M-M increase was in 2016!

And what is crazy is that their cars are better than ever. I love my Mazda(s!) but really don't think they will be an independent player in 5 years time.

So sad....... While overall sales are down across the industry, Mazda seems to have taken the biggest hit.

https://autoweek.com/article/car-news/new-car-sales-june-2019-winners-and-losers

Non-CX-5 numbers are absolutely dismal. Strange considering that most every model receives positive reviews across the board. Maybe weak advertising is part of the cause???

Given that FCA numbers are strong, I can only assume that quality is not at the top of buyers' criteria for purchase.

LOL, and people thought this "luxury" push was the answer.

Well, they had to do something. Cheap was not doing it and this was a logical move. The big issue is that people still link Mazda with the opposite of Mercedes.

The Miata numbers may come up in July as the 30th Anniversary cars are being delivered.
Of the 500 cars that were originally allocated for the U.S., some who are closer to the ports have already received theirs.
Those who are farther from the ports or at the tail-end of the original 500 should see them by the end of the month.
(Mine should arrive this week or early next week.) (drive2)
An additional 143 cars were added to the U.S. allocation with anticipated August or September deliveries.

Regardless, the numbers are disappointing and I hope that Mazda turns it around and remains an independent manufacturer (though it does share some technology with others).

Well, they had to do something. Cheap was not doing it and this was a logical move. The big issue is that people still link Mazda with the opposite of Mercedes.

I am fine with Mazda going more Luxurious than Honda/Toyota.
They improved the products, but they forgot about the dealership experiences.
People who own Lexus know what that means.
From my experience, Mazda dealers are NOT above Toyota/Honda.
Not to mention that, most people still believe the latter have better overall reliability.

My two cents.

I am fine with Mazda going more Luxurious than Honda/Toyota.
They improved the products, but they forgot about the dealership experiences.
People who own Lexus know what that means.
From my experience, Mazda dealers are NOT above Toyota/Honda.
Not to mention that, most people still believe the latter have better overall reliability.

My two cents.

This is very true...

Also, as someone else stated and I have several times before, their advertising sucks. The Feel Alive commercials are meh at best, and I*ve never seen or heard a commercial for Mazda mentioning pricing, much less discounts. Pretty hard to drive people in when they*ve seen Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Kia, and even Chevy and Ford mention up to 20% off in their advertisements...

My co-worker was going to buy a CUV over one weekend.
He had Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4 in mind.
I told him to check out Mazda CX-5.
Guess what? He bought a CX-5.
He was not alone. I did the same to another co-worker... (Mazda should give me some commission)

That is problem with Mazda.
Lots of potential buyers do not put Mazda on their shopping list.

I'll be sad if Mazda dies or gets subsumed by Toyota. My 2018 CX-5 is my first of what I hope will be several Mazdas.

Mazda wasn't on my shopping list until someone mentioned it and then I actually checked one out and was immediately sold on it.

Agree the advertisements suck. And Nelson, you aren't wrong about those "20% discounts", how else is the craptacular Nissan Rogue still selling in droves? In my opinion, Mazda is still going after a niche market, just a different niche than it used to be in the Zoom Zoom days, but niche nonetheless. I'm not the least bit surprised sales still suck.

Mazda wasn't on my shopping list until someone mentioned it and then I actually checked one out and was immediately sold on it.

Agree the advertisements suck. And Nelson, you aren't wrong about those "20% discounts", how else is the craptacular Nissan Rogue still selling in droves? In my opinion, Mazda is still going after a niche market, just a different niche than it used to be in the Zoom Zoom days, but niche nonetheless. I'm not the least bit surprised sales still suck.

Not surprised either, honestly...

Hey, I wouldn*t buy a new Nissan (although the straight 6 in an old Z car I had was one of the best engines ever made), but the advertisements simply work, period. The average buyers eat it up, and they far outnumber the premium and niche ones...

Switching to premium is great and all, but Colorado is right, one niche to the other does nothing for numbers. Maybe in the long run things will get going and Feel Alive...

Not to mention how much I think Mazda is totally missing the mark with some things. Like releasing a diesel CX-5, which I get people want, but let's talk about that $41k MSRP. Ludicrous and I doubt will get much of any sales on that. I can't think of anyone who associates diesel with a luxury feature warranting that sort of cost/trim. I'm thinking it's going to fail hard.

Just an example I think of the overall ineptitude of Mazda or Mazda NAO, or whoever. Mazda currently has a confused image where they want to be one thing, probably want to market more broadly, but is failing in that regard, but at the same time either releasing things people don't want, not releasing things people do want, or what have you. Meanwhile they want to "Feel alive", I still get a "Zoom Zoom" magazine in the mail once in a while. Confused...

Last edited:
Not to mention how much I think Mazda is totally missing the mark with some things. Like releasing a diesel CX-5, which I get people want, but let's talk about that $41k MSRP. Ludicrous and I doubt will get much of any sales on that. I can't think of anyone who associates diesel with a luxury feature warranting that sort of cost/trim. I'm thinking it's going to fail hard.

Just an example I think of the overall ineptitude of Mazda or Mazda NAO, or whoever. Mazda currently has a confused image where they want to be one thing, probably want to market more broadly, but is failing in that regard, but at the same time either releasing things people don't want, not releasing things people do want, or what have you. Meanwhile they want to "Feel alive", I still get a "Zoom Zoom" magazine in the mail once in a while. Confused...

Bingo, I laugh every time it comes and the cover always reads, "Zoom Zoom". I giggle and say, "I wish!". Confused, for sure...

I'm sticking to what I said about the diesel some 2-3 years ago, and that is it is dead before it even arrives. Flame me some more, I don't care, wasting money on that thing doesn't help numbers, either, hell when it too falls on it's ass and doesn't sell, it may really hurt them more than they know. They'll probably still sell it in America, along with the CX-3 anyways...

Luxury brands dont have 20% off commercials. But like Nelson stated, at least state a lease price or starting at figure.

Im okay with Mazda moving upmarket, but outside of the automobile enthusiast crowd no one really knows thats what theyre doing.

They need a rebranding effort ASAP.

Back