Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Cheap oil filter end-cap wrench set that has one that fits the Thailand filer

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    468

    Cheap oil filter end-cap wrench set that has one that fits the Thailand filer

    I just bought a Harbor Freight oil filter wrench set for $6.15 using a 20% coupon, $7.69 without a 20% coupon. The smallest one is a perfect fit for the Mazda Thailand oil filter, I checked the fit. An end-cap style wrench is easiest to use in tight quarters.

    https://www.harborfreight.com/end-ca...ece-63707.html

  2. #2
    Registered Member

    2018 CX 5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NV
    Posts
    26
    I use something like this which I already had. https://www.channellock.com/product/480/

    Filter was very tight from factory.

  3. #3
    Registered Member

    2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Belleair Beach, Florida
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    I just bought a Harbor Freight oil filter wrench set for $6.15 using a 20% coupon, $7.69 without a 20% coupon. The smallest one is a perfect fit for the Mazda Thailand oil filter, I checked the fit. An end-cap style wrench is easiest to use in tight quarters.

    https://www.harborfreight.com/end-ca...ece-63707.html
    Smallest meaning (65 & 68 mm) x 14 flutes? I already have too many filter end-caps and don't want more if I don't need them. I was hoping the one I used for my 2008 CX9 would work. But I thought it was larger than 68mm. Since I have a couple months before my oil-change, I'll buy the filter well before and see what fits.

  4. #4
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post
    Smallest meaning (65 & 68 mm) x 14 flutes? I already have too many filter end-caps and don't want more if I don't need them. I was hoping the one I used for my 2008 CX9 would work. But I thought it was larger than 68mm. Since I have a couple months before my oil-change, I'll buy the filter well before and see what fits.
    Yes, the 65 & 68 with 14 flutes. I did not use an end cap style wrench for my first change, and the filter was slightly fatter, was the Japan filter. I did not have an end cap wrench at the time, I used a small strap style wrench. So I don't know if it is a fit for the Japan filter or not. I think the end cap style wrench is the best way for the small access area that is why I was looking for an end style wrench and found the Harbor Freight set that had one.

  5. #5
    Registered Member

    2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    I just bought a Harbor Freight oil filter wrench set for $6.15 using a 20% coupon, $7.69 without a 20% coupon. The smallest one is a perfect fit for the Mazda Thailand oil filter, I checked the fit. An end-cap style wrench is easiest to use in tight quarters.

    https://www.harborfreight.com/end-ca...ece-63707.html
    Is it the 65 or the 68 portion that fits the Thailand filter? Here's a 65 and 67 for $3.50, in case you don't want to buy a kit with several bonus sizes:

    https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2540...CDQ3FCENBJVX2D

  6. #6
    Registered Member CX-5um's Avatar

    13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    3,211
    Due to using different size filters (various OEM types and 57002 WIX) along with coming across dealer-tightened filters...I find this style the best and last oil filter removal tool for my usage.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

    Got mine at Walmart or Harbor Freight. Can't remember.

  7. #7
    Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    5,199
    Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Due to using different size filters (various OEM types and 57002 WIX) along with coming across dealer-tightened filters...I find this style the best and last oil filter removal tool for my usage.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

    Got mine at Walmart or Harbor Freight. Can't remember.
    I have those, bought at Walmart I think. Work great and adjust and fits to any filter I've had be it the Mexico, Thailand, or Wix filter.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 84k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

  8. #8
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    Is it the 65 or the 68 portion that fits the Thailand filter? Here's a 65 and 67 for $3.50, in case you don't want to buy a kit with several bonus sizes:

    https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2540...CDQ3FCENBJVX2D
    65. The beauty is that it is a confirmed fit. Who knows if that one on Amazon will fit.

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    92 MX-3; 18 CX-5

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    49
    Sorry guys but the best oil filter wrench is this universal ratcheting type . It has the same advantage as the oil filter end cap: it will fit in a tight spot.
    Unfortunately, the end cap filter wrench is nearly useless if the filter is much more than hand tight. The ratcheting type in the link above will simply get tighter on the filter with more torque that you put on your attached ratchet handle. And you only need to buy one of these to use with every canister style filter. If you haven't already wasted your money on the cap style then get one like this. It is the only filter wrench you need - unless you have a car with cartridge style filters that use a standard socket.

  10. #10
    Registered Member

    2018 AWD GT Premium Red/Black

    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by davmac View Post
    Sorry guys but the best oil filter wrench is this universal ratcheting type . It has the same advantage as the oil filter end cap: it will fit in a tight spot.
    Unfortunately, the end cap filter wrench is nearly useless if the filter is much more than hand tight. The ratcheting type in the link above will simply get tighter on the filter with more torque that you put on your attached ratchet handle. And you only need to buy one of these to use with every canister style filter. If you haven't already wasted your money on the cap style then get one like this. It is the only filter wrench you need - unless you have a car with cartridge style filters that use a standard socket.
    Yeah, I think I just came to the same conclusion, got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Several cars, plus mowers and tractor. I don't like looking for tools - especially amongst ones that look similar.

  11. #11
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by davmac View Post
    Sorry guys but the best oil filter wrench is this universal ratcheting type . It has the same advantage as the oil filter end cap: it will fit in a tight spot.
    Unfortunately, the end cap filter wrench is nearly useless if the filter is much more than hand tight. The ratcheting type in the link above will simply get tighter on the filter with more torque that you put on your attached ratchet handle. And you only need to buy one of these to use with every canister style filter. If you haven't already wasted your money on the cap style then get one like this. It is the only filter wrench you need - unless you have a car with cartridge style filters that use a standard socket.
    I have that very one. It is a pita because you have to hold it against the filter to get it to grip. The HF one can easily loosen a filter that is a lot tighter than hand tight.

  12. #12
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    Yeah, I think I just came to the same conclusion, got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Several cars, plus mowers and tractor. I don't like looking for tools - especially amongst ones that look similar.
    I have that one too. That one does work, but not as easily as the end HF end cap wrench. You do have a point about not wanting too many different oil wrenches. I have collected quite a few with the different mowers, hydraulic units and cars.
    Last edited by MyFirstMazda; 07-11-2019 at 02:26 AM.

  13. #13
    Banned Chris_Top_Her's Avatar
    Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

    '15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Antonio TX
    Posts
    6,225
    Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    Due to using different size filters (various OEM types and 57002 WIX) along with coming across dealer-tightened filters...I find this style the best and last oil filter removal tool for my usage.

    https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

    Got mine at Walmart or Harbor Freight. Can't remember.
    Bought a green one from Walmart for ~$10 never looked back

  14. #14
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,941

    Arrow Cheap oil filter end-cap wrench set that has one that fits the Thailand filer

    Quote Originally Posted by MyFirstMazda View Post
    I just bought a Harbor Freight oil filter wrench set for $6.15 using a 20% coupon, $7.69 without a 20% coupon. The smallest one is a perfect fit for the Mazda Thailand oil filter, I checked the fit. An end-cap style wrench is easiest to use in tight quarters.

    https://www.harborfreight.com/end-ca...ece-63707.html
    The price is good but the only useful size could be the smallest cap oil filter wrench, 65 & 68 mm x 14 flutes as the modern oil filters if they're still in old metal canister type (most new engines are switching to catridage type for environmental reason) are usually getting smaller in size. Then for Mazda SkyActiv-G or T, getting a 65 & 68 mm x 14 flutes is less useful than the one murky mentioned with size 65 & 67 mm x 14 flutes.

  15. #15
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    7,941

    Arrow Cheap oil filter end-cap wrench set that has one that fits the Thailand filer

    Quote Originally Posted by murky View Post
    Is it the 65 or the 68 portion that fits the Thailand filter? Here's a 65 and 67 for $3.50, in case you don't want to buy a kit with several bonus sizes:

    https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-2540...CDQ3FCENBJVX2D
    I ordered a "Genuine" Mazda Oil Filter Wrench A255 for $10.20 from Med Center Mazda along with oil change kits a while ago but it ended up exactly the same as CTA Tools A255 Cap-Type Oil Filter Wrench! The size of CTA A255 cap wrench is 65 & 67 mm with 14 flutes. It fits Mazda OEM Japanese oil filter perfectly on 67 mm and OEM Thai oil filter on 65 mm size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. mazda 2 1.3 gasoline oil filter in thailand
    By Taoqun Teenyen in forum Mazda2 General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2019, 02:15 AM
  2. Oil Filter Wrench
    By Koz60 in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-21-2016, 02:33 PM
  3. Oil filter wrench
    By erhayes in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-03-2014, 03:24 PM
  4. Filter Cap Wrench
    By erhayes in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2013, 09:17 AM
  5. Oil Filter Wrench ?
    By erhayes in forum Mazda CX-7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2011, 12:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •