2007~2015 09' CX-9 AWD GT purchased, saying Hello and questions!

Fragger

Dear Mazda Brothers and Sisters,

My wife and I just pulled the trigger on an 09' CX-9, Grand Touring and I just wanted to join the forum, say Hello, learn, and ask questions I couldn't find answers to! We're so excited, hopefully you guys can educate us some more?:

1. Does anyone know what the difference is between the trims of the first Gen? Sports GT, Sports, Touring, and Grand Touring?

2. Does anyone know if the 09' can be changed to the 10'+ changes? If so, what are those parts to change and where can I get them?

3. Mine didn't come with the headphones included. Can anyone share where I can buy the replacement headphones and the remote? OEM and after market if they'll work?

4. Does anyone know if the car comes with 18" or 19" wheels?

Thank you in advance for your help!

My wife and I just pulled the trigger on an 09' CX-9, Grand Touring and I just wanted to join the forum, say Hello, learn, and ask questions I couldn't find answers to! We're so excited, hopefully you guys can educate us some more?:

1. Does anyone know what the difference is between the trims of the first Gen? Sports GT, Sports, Touring, and Grand Touring?

2. Does anyone know if the 09' can be changed to the 10'+ changes? If so, what are those parts to change and where can I get them?

3. Mine didn't come with the headphones included. Can anyone share where I can buy the replacement headphones and the remote? OEM and after market if they'll work?

Going from memory here, the biggest differences between the GT and the lower trims is:
1. Electro-luminescent gauges
2. Blind spot monitor
3. Interior leather and (fake) wood trim
4. Turn signal indicators on the side mirrors
5. The GT had more optional extras than the lower models, too (power rear door, nicer stereo, etc.)...

I have no idea about the changes between 2009 and 2010, other than cosmetic changes to the front grille.

The standard tires on the GT are 20".

Good luck with the AWD. You should do some reading on this forum about the transfer case issues people have been experiencing.

Going from memory here, the biggest differences between the GT and the lower trims is:
2. Blind spot monitor
5. The GT had more optional extras than the lower models, too (power rear door, nicer stereo, etc.)...

I have no idea about the changes between 2009 and 2010, other than cosmetic changes to the front grille.

Good luck with the AWD. You should do some reading on this forum about the transfer case issues people have been experiencing.

Thank you jal, for getting the ball rolling on this thread:

1. The trims explanation is helpful. I think I've seen a "Sports GT" that throws me off... Is that a package?

2. Yeah the grill and bumper seem to be the changes in 2010. Do you know if it's an easy swap on 08' to 10'? And where can I get those?

3. The transfer case issue you mentioned.. Man that sounds scary. We were hoping to get AWD, didn't know it had major issues already 😢...

Appreciate other responses as well folks!

Thank you jal, for getting the ball rolling on this thread:

1. The trims explanation is helpful. I think I've seen a "Sports GT" that throws me off... Is that a package?

2. Yeah the grill and bumper seem to be the changes in 2010. Do you know if it's an easy swap on 08' to 10'? And where can I get those?

3. The transfer case issue you mentioned.. Man that sounds scary. We were hoping to get AWD, didn't know it had major issues already 😢...

Appreciate other responses as well folks!

Where in the world are you located? I've never heard of a "Sports GT".

I don't know if the front bumper cover is a direct swap from model year to model year. OEM Mazda parts tend to be expensive so I doubt many people have even tried. If you really want a 2010+ front bumper, I'd grab a front bumper cover from a salvage yard first and try it out to see if it is even going to fit.

2. Blind spot monitor

Thank you again for your response.

I'm from the US. Sorry I saw something similar to those lines for the trim on one of these car values sites or Cars.com. I can't attach images here or else I could attach my screen shots. Maybe I just confused GT and Sports, Touring. Anyway, guess it's water under the bridge 😊...

About the model year changes, I guess on other cars people do model year changes all the time, maybe it never took off for this car. Hoping other can respond to this thread to chime in.

Also, thanks for your point on the PTU issue in the AWD models. Sounds terrible that Mazda hasn't owned up to it and definitely puts a dent in our excitement for the car.

Nonetheless, it seems like if we can change the fluid in the PTU every 30K miles or so, we might be OK? Would you happen to anything about it? I'm just not sure how much fluid goes in that PTU LOL!

Thanks for all your help again!

Thank you again for your response.

I'm from the US. Sorry I saw something similar to those lines for the trim on one of these car values sites or Cars.com. I can't attach images here or else I could attach my screen shots. Maybe I just confused GT and Sports, Touring. Anyway, guess it's water under the bridge ��...

About the model year changes, I guess on other cars people do model year changes all the time, maybe it never took off for this car. Hoping other can respond to this thread to chime in.

Also, thanks for your point on the PTU issue in the AWD models. Sounds terrible that Mazda hasn't owned up to it and definitely puts a dent in our excitement for the car.

Nonetheless, it seems like if we can change the fluid in the PTU every 30K miles or so, we might be OK? Would you happen to anything about it? I'm just not sure how much fluid goes in that PTU LOL!

Thanks for all your help again!

Search this site for the PTU or transfer case issues. There is only one plug in the unit that serves as both a fill plug and the spot where you need to position the drain hose from whatever evacuation pump you are using. The unit takes less than one quart of gear oil (75-140W I think).

Do the search and you will find all you need and I would do that job as soon as you can.

Search this site for the PTU or transfer case issues. There is only one plug in the unit that serves as both a fill plug and the spot where you need to position the drain hose from whatever evacuation pump you are using. The unit takes less than one quart of gear oil (75-140W I think).

Do the search and you will find all you need and I would do that job as soon as you can.

Thank you so much for the quick response, my friend. I will do further research too, but to summarize the issue, if my PTU was intact, meaning it never cracked, splines are all fine, the tranny unaffected, then ALL I have to do to avoid this catastrophe is to change the gear oil every 30K or so, correct?

As far as things go you are correct. Maintenance of the PTU with quality gear oil 'should' keep things going well. I have done mine at about 30K and I'm just on the second change now with good results. I have used Royal Purple since it was the only synthetic I could find in my area.

hi, we are in the same boat. i bought mine less than month ago.

im not from US, so, im nt sure which spec is mine. but im pretty sure it wasnt full spec as it didnt come with power boot . there are basic radio without reverse cam.

hi, we are in the same boat. i bought mine less than month ago.

im not from US, so, im nt sure which spec is mine. but im pretty sure it wasnt full spec as it didnt come with power boot . there are basic radio without reverse cam.

Congratulations, friend! I love it, it's a great car! If it an AWD model, just remember to do the Transfer case oil replacement, otherwise it could be very bad news!

Thanks to the support from this forum, I'm learning more about our cars... 😊👍🏼

Back