who can fix the intermittent auto lock problem?

I just got back home from my local dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with my auto lock. Duh.
They wrote in the paperwork quote: "No stored or pending trouble codes. Operated dozens of times. No problem found at this time. Vehicle operating as designed."

Do you know of anyone who fixed this thing already?
Is there a dealer out there - that I could call to find out please?

In addition - if your car has this problem - can you please sign below my post - so that we know how many of us have this problem?

Probably best to provide some background info (or post in your original thread instead of starting a new one).

If the dealership has stated that the function is working as designed, maybe you could have the tech show you how they use it, and you could show them what you think is wrong with it?

I agree with sm1ke. My guess is that what they are doing to test the auto-lock function is not what you think they are doing.

Well, you guys are right. But I was curious if more people had this issue.

Well that's what I meant when I said "more background info is needed". What is the issue? If Mazda techs have already tested the feature and found no fault with it, maybe you should speak with the tech so they can demonstrate how it's supposed to work?

It may not be an "issue" if you're expecting it to do something it isn't designed to do.

I think I saw this discussed in another post. The system is finnicky and not reliable. In order to work you have to stand right next to car for it to beep and then as you walk away it will beep again and lock. The whole purpose of the system is to auto-lock when the key is out of range, but sadly if you are in a rush and close the door as you walk away it will not engage.

Annoyingly it does work when you open the passenger door for your spouse. As I walk around it locks and then the hands free unlock doesn't work any more and I have to manually unlock the car again by pressing the tiny button on the key. Shouldn't the car remain unlocked while I load things in, especially myself?

Needless to say I am turning this system off as it doesn't work as I, or apparently most people, would use it.

I think I saw this discussed in another post. The system is finnicky and not reliable. In order to work you have to stand right next to car for it to beep and then as you walk away it will beep again and lock. The whole purpose of the system is to auto-lock when the key is out of range, but sadly if you are in a rush and close the door as you walk away it will not engage.

I disagree. It is not what I am experiencing. I can spend a lot of time around it and it won't beep while I am out.
I engaged Mazda directly. I am trying to have them make some effort to fix this.
The dealer visit was a waste of my time. I wasted 1 day for it and I don't have the luxury of wasting another day.
Mazda offered me a special - so that I take it to dealership and leave it for longer.
But I don't think they understand what is happening with this system.
These people at the dealerships are not trained to deal with such a complex problem.
What are they gonna do? Watch it? And then what? How are they gonna know what's bad?
They will just waste my time. I would rather continue riding my new little beauty that spend time in their 2018 loaner 6.
I don't want it. The Mazda 6 is so far behind this little thing - that I don't even want to try.

So I am just waiting for Mazda to reply and I am still looking for people who have this problem.
I am assuming that you guys don't have it - because you did not explicit stated that.

It might be easiest to just turn this feature off. It was off by default when I got my car and honestly not a make or break one for me. The only complaint I would have is the awful layout of the fob. It's been almost 2 months and I still have trouble finding the right button in my pocket.

"Can you instantly identify which button to press in a pocket with other stuff around, or in a purse?" That should be the design goal of any key fob and between the 2018 and 2019 Mazda 3 there was a huge step in the wrong direction.

Arrow,
I still don't know for sure what sort of problems you encountered....
Can you describe it for us?

I have been using auto-lock since I owned my (now sold) '08 CX9.
Love using it. Never fails me.
And now, I have 3 Mazdas in my garage. All have auto-lock on.

Several things to watch out for.
1. Don't put your fob in the same pocket as your cell phone. They interfere each other.
2. Stand at the door for 1 second to confirm the beep. If you walk away quickly while closing the door, the confirmation beep will not take place.
3. if you live in areas with strong radio signals (such as near cell towers, radio stations, etc.). Keyless system does not work as well.

I disagree. It is not what I am experiencing. I can spend a lot of time around it and it won't beep while I am out.
I engaged Mazda directly. I am trying to have them make some effort to fix this.
The dealer visit was a waste of my time. I wasted 1 day for it and I don't have the luxury of wasting another day.
Mazda offered me a special - so that I take it to dealership and leave it for longer.
But I don't think they understand what is happening with this system.
These people at the dealerships are not trained to deal with such a complex problem.
What are they gonna do? Watch it? And then what? How are they gonna know what's bad?
They will just waste my time. I would rather continue riding my new little beauty that spend time in their 2018 loaner 6.
I don't want it. The Mazda 6 is so far behind this little thing - that I don't even want to try.

So I am just waiting for Mazda to reply and I am still looking for people who have this problem.
I am assuming that you guys don't have it - because you did not explicit stated that.

And yet you still haven't described the issue. All you're saying is that your door lock function isn't working. That is very vague. You need to be more specific.

I have a feeling this may be part of the difficulty in getting Mazda techs to understand the issue. You probably need to describe it to them in greater detail, or, as I and others have already suggested, demonstrate the problem to a Mazda tech in person so they know exactly what the issue is.

The only complaint I would have is the awful layout of the fob. It's been almost 2 months and I still have trouble finding the right button in my pocket.

"Can you instantly identify which button to press in a pocket with other stuff around, or in a purse?" That should be the design goal of any key fob and between the 2018 and 2019 Mazda 3 there was a huge step in the wrong direction.

Lol, really? You're blaming Mazda because you can't remember which button is which on your keyfob?

I have no hope in it being fixed. A colleague he has an MX5 from 2015 and when I mentioned my intermittent auto lock failing on my mazda 3 (and unlocking) she said yeah shes always had those issues.

My Renault I bought in 2006 has keyless lock and it worked so much better than the mazda.

I was asked here about what happens so here is the description:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...2019-Mazda-3&p=6650283&viewfull=1#post6650283

There are weird things happening with this lock and after making 1000 miles on my car I see some issues with the remote control and handle sensors.
I made few videos of the problem, but here I will just say - that on few occasions I was unable to lock my car entirely!
Not only the autolock did not work - but the drivers side door sensor did not react to my touch and finally I took out the remote and it failed to respond to my press of the locking button!
To make matters more interesting - after just few seconds and another round of trying to open the doors and pushing on handle - the remote button did the job.

Then on another occasion I could not OPEN my car. I placed my hand on the handle inside sensor and nothing happened.
I tried 3 times. Then I started making a video and the doors UNLOCKED on me without me doing anything!

I was asked here about what happens so here is the description:

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...2019-Mazda-3&p=6650283&viewfull=1#post6650283

There are weird things happening with this lock and after making 1000 miles on my car I see some issues with the remote control and handle sensors.
I made few videos of the problem, but here I will just say - that on few occasions I was unable to lock my car entirely!
Not only the autolock did not work - but the drivers side door sensor did not react to my touch and finally I took out the remote and it failed to respond to my press of the locking button!
To make matters more interesting - after just few seconds and another round of trying to open the doors and pushing on handle - the remote button did the job.

Then on another occasion I could not OPEN my car. I placed my hand on the handle inside sensor and nothing happened.
I tried 3 times. Then I started making a video and the doors UNLOCKED on me without me doing anything!

What car do you have again? 2019 Mazda 3?

If you have explained this problem in detail to the service technicians and they still can't replicate the issue, I would either escalate to Mazda Corporate or go to a different dealer. It sounds like there's a specific set of conditions that need to be met before the problem presents itself, so its possible that the service techs are either not meeting those conditions because they don't understand what to do to trigger it, or they're just flat out lazy.

This is probably a bug that needs to be ironed out of the new keyless system (with the touch-sensitive pads on the back of the door handles).

What car do you have again? 2019 Mazda 3?

If you have explained this problem in detail to the service technicians and they still can't replicate the issue, I would either escalate to Mazda Corporate or go to a different dealer. It sounds like there's a specific set of conditions that need to be met before the problem presents itself, so its possible that the service techs are either not meeting those conditions because they don't understand what to do to trigger it, or they're just flat out lazy.

This is probably a bug that needs to be ironed out of the new keyless system (with the touch-sensitive pads on the back of the door handles).

I agree with you.
Today I picked up my car from a 2nd attempt to fix it. They sort of acknowledged that the problem is some sort of a glitch, but only proposed to reset the system by battery disconnect.
They said it should take care of the issue. But guess what. It did not work.

The car has intermittent problem - and it seems to be an issue with locking in general, not just an autolock.
The car sometimes fails to recognize the hand sensor inputs. When it fails - both sensors don't operate, left and right door.
Sometimes I can't unlock it - and sometimes I can't lock it.
Sometimes the remote doesn't operate - when pushed on a button.

My wife just commented that they will never fix it.
She said that they don't care and that's too difficult for them to trouble shoot.

I tend to agree.
Dealers do not have knowledge and tools required to trouble shoot a complex intermittent problem like this.
Judging from their actions they are not very experienced with it. They don't know.

Back