VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: who can fix the intermittent auto lock problem?

  1. #1
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    18

    who can fix the intermittent auto lock problem?

    I just got back home from my local dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong with my auto lock. Duh.
    They wrote in the paperwork quote: "No stored or pending trouble codes. Operated dozens of times. No problem found at this time. Vehicle operating as designed."

    Do you know of anyone who fixed this thing already?
    Is there a dealer out there - that I could call to find out please?

    In addition - if your car has this problem - can you please sign below my post - so that we know how many of us have this problem?

  2. #2

  3. #3
    Registered Member concept's Avatar

    2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,564
    I agree with sm1ke. My guess is that what they are doing to test the auto-lock function is not what you think they are doing.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports, Pirelli P ZERO ALL SEASON PLUS tires, 225/45/18
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, SST Magnaflow muffler and tips)

  4. #4
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    18
    Well, you guys are right. But I was curious if more people had this issue.

  5. #5
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    Well, you guys are right. But I was curious if more people had this issue.
    Well that's what I meant when I said "more background info is needed". What is the issue? If Mazda techs have already tested the feature and found no fault with it, maybe you should speak with the tech so they can demonstrate how it's supposed to work?

    It may not be an "issue" if you're expecting it to do something it isn't designed to do.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  6. #6
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    11
    I think I saw this discussed in another post. The system is finnicky and not reliable. In order to work you have to stand right next to car for it to beep and then as you walk away it will beep again and lock. The whole purpose of the system is to auto-lock when the key is out of range, but sadly if you are in a rush and close the door as you walk away it will not engage.

    Annoyingly it does work when you open the passenger door for your spouse. As I walk around it locks and then the hands free unlock doesn't work any more and I have to manually unlock the car again by pressing the tiny button on the key. Shouldn't the car remain unlocked while I load things in, especially myself?

    Needless to say I am turning this system off as it doesn't work as I, or apparently most people, would use it.

  7. #7
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by livetaswim06 View Post
    I think I saw this discussed in another post. The system is finnicky and not reliable. In order to work you have to stand right next to car for it to beep and then as you walk away it will beep again and lock. The whole purpose of the system is to auto-lock when the key is out of range, but sadly if you are in a rush and close the door as you walk away it will not engage.
    I disagree. It is not what I am experiencing. I can spend a lot of time around it and it won't beep while I am out.
    I engaged Mazda directly. I am trying to have them make some effort to fix this.
    The dealer visit was a waste of my time. I wasted 1 day for it and I don't have the luxury of wasting another day.
    Mazda offered me a special - so that I take it to dealership and leave it for longer.
    But I don't think they understand what is happening with this system.
    These people at the dealerships are not trained to deal with such a complex problem.
    What are they gonna do? Watch it? And then what? How are they gonna know what's bad?
    They will just waste my time. I would rather continue riding my new little beauty that spend time in their 2018 loaner 6.
    I don't want it. The Mazda 6 is so far behind this little thing - that I don't even want to try.

    So I am just waiting for Mazda to reply and I am still looking for people who have this problem.
    I am assuming that you guys don't have it - because you did not explicit stated that.

  8. #8
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    11
    It might be easiest to just turn this feature off. It was off by default when I got my car and honestly not a make or break one for me. The only complaint I would have is the awful layout of the fob. It's been almost 2 months and I still have trouble finding the right button in my pocket.

    "Can you instantly identify which button to press in a pocket with other stuff around, or in a purse?" That should be the design goal of any key fob and between the 2018 and 2019 Mazda 3 there was a huge step in the wrong direction.

  9. #9
    Registered Member ceric's Avatar

    2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    4,374
    Arrow,
    I still don't know for sure what sort of problems you encountered....
    Can you describe it for us?

    I have been using auto-lock since I owned my (now sold) '08 CX9.
    Love using it. Never fails me.
    And now, I have 3 Mazdas in my garage. All have auto-lock on.

    Several things to watch out for.
    1. Don't put your fob in the same pocket as your cell phone. They interfere each other.
    2. Stand at the door for 1 second to confirm the beep. If you walk away quickly while closing the door, the confirmation beep will not take place.
    3. if you live in areas with strong radio signals (such as near cell towers, radio stations, etc.). Keyless system does not work as well.
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

  10. #10
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    I disagree. It is not what I am experiencing. I can spend a lot of time around it and it won't beep while I am out.
    I engaged Mazda directly. I am trying to have them make some effort to fix this.
    The dealer visit was a waste of my time. I wasted 1 day for it and I don't have the luxury of wasting another day.
    Mazda offered me a special - so that I take it to dealership and leave it for longer.
    But I don't think they understand what is happening with this system.
    These people at the dealerships are not trained to deal with such a complex problem.
    What are they gonna do? Watch it? And then what? How are they gonna know what's bad?
    They will just waste my time. I would rather continue riding my new little beauty that spend time in their 2018 loaner 6.
    I don't want it. The Mazda 6 is so far behind this little thing - that I don't even want to try.

    So I am just waiting for Mazda to reply and I am still looking for people who have this problem.
    I am assuming that you guys don't have it - because you did not explicit stated that.
    And yet you still haven't described the issue. All you're saying is that your door lock function isn't working. That is very vague. You need to be more specific.

    I have a feeling this may be part of the difficulty in getting Mazda techs to understand the issue. You probably need to describe it to them in greater detail, or, as I and others have already suggested, demonstrate the problem to a Mazda tech in person so they know exactly what the issue is.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  11. #11
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by livetaswim06 View Post
    The only complaint I would have is the awful layout of the fob. It's been almost 2 months and I still have trouble finding the right button in my pocket.

    "Can you instantly identify which button to press in a pocket with other stuff around, or in a purse?" That should be the design goal of any key fob and between the 2018 and 2019 Mazda 3 there was a huge step in the wrong direction.
    Lol, really? You're blaming Mazda because you can't remember which button is which on your keyfob?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  12. #12
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    15
    I have no hope in it being fixed. A colleague he has an MX5 from 2015 and when I mentioned my intermittent auto lock failing on my mazda 3 (and unlocking) she said yeah shes always had those issues.

    My Renault I bought in 2006 has keyless lock and it worked so much better than the mazda.

  13. #13
    Registered Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    18
    I was asked here about what happens so here is the description:

    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...=1#post6650283

    There are weird things happening with this lock and after making 1000 miles on my car I see some issues with the remote control and handle sensors.
    I made few videos of the problem, but here I will just say - that on few occasions I was unable to lock my car entirely!
    Not only the autolock did not work - but the drivers side door sensor did not react to my touch and finally I took out the remote and it failed to respond to my press of the locking button!
    To make matters more interesting - after just few seconds and another round of trying to open the doors and pushing on handle - the remote button did the job.

    Then on another occasion I could not OPEN my car. I placed my hand on the handle inside sensor and nothing happened.
    I tried 3 times. Then I started making a video and the doors UNLOCKED on me without me doing anything!

  14. #14
    Work in Progress sm1ke's Avatar
    Donated: $25

    2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,494
    Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    I was asked here about what happens so here is the description:

    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...=1#post6650283

    There are weird things happening with this lock and after making 1000 miles on my car I see some issues with the remote control and handle sensors.
    I made few videos of the problem, but here I will just say - that on few occasions I was unable to lock my car entirely!
    Not only the autolock did not work - but the drivers side door sensor did not react to my touch and finally I took out the remote and it failed to respond to my press of the locking button!
    To make matters more interesting - after just few seconds and another round of trying to open the doors and pushing on handle - the remote button did the job.

    Then on another occasion I could not OPEN my car. I placed my hand on the handle inside sensor and nothing happened.
    I tried 3 times. Then I started making a video and the doors UNLOCKED on me without me doing anything!
    What car do you have again? 2019 Mazda 3?

    If you have explained this problem in detail to the service technicians and they still can't replicate the issue, I would either escalate to Mazda Corporate or go to a different dealer. It sounds like there's a specific set of conditions that need to be met before the problem presents itself, so its possible that the service techs are either not meeting those conditions because they don't understand what to do to trigger it, or they're just flat out lazy.

    This is probably a bug that needs to be ironed out of the new keyless system (with the touch-sensitive pads on the back of the door handles).
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Similar Threads

  1. Auto Lock Programming (w/ manual Door Lock Knob)
    By iammario in forum CX-5 Infotainment
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-17-2017, 05:42 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-11-2016, 07:18 PM
  3. Intermittent keyless lock problem
    By CrystalblueGT in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2016, 08:01 AM
  4. Intermittent Wiper / Auto Headlight Problem
    By Mainstay in forum Mazda3 How-To
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2015, 05:54 AM
  5. Walk Away Lock & Auto Lock Options
    By athique in forum CX-5 Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 09:52 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •