Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did you have the rocker issue recall work done? Post your experience here

Registered Member

Mazda

My trip computer was not reset.

Registered Member

Took in our Ď19 today for oil change and recall...only took about 1.5 hrs for both, along with wash and vacuum. Trip computer was reset. Engine/power characteristics havenít changed at all. If anything running a touch smoother on the fresh Zepro high/moly oil (supposedly same as Mazda moly oil). Got 35 mpg on 20 mile drive home with active cruise.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Stickygreen View Post
    Took in our *19 today for oil change and recall...only took about 1.5 hrs for both, along with wash and vacuum. Trip computer was reset. Engine/power characteristics haven*t changed at all. If anything running a touch smoother on the fresh Zepro high/moly oil (supposedly same as Mazda moly oil). Got 35 mpg on 20 mile drive home with active cruise.
    That's another impressive number. I'm starting to wonder if CD isn't good for more than 1 mpg gain.

Mazzippy70

Mazda CX-5 Touring

"$450 to visually inspect the Rocker Arm"

This is a repeat post I posted on another CD related thread. It seems appropriate to be in this thread too.

My dealership quoted me $450 to open up the valve cover for the visual inspection of the rocker arm. The person that took care of me strongly against this idea as it is not part of the recall, although the labor cost will be on me. He reminded me that my car (19 CX-5 Touring) only has 3300 miles/5 months old and therefore has a lot of miles/time left until the warranty is up. If there is a case where the warranty is about to expire, then he is more supportive of the rocker arm inspection. He has a point there. But he also said that he will do whatever I wish. The $450 is more than I was willing to pay and there is also a risk in disassembly/reassembly of the valve cover(eg. sloppy tech). So I decided to only do the PCM update - part of the reason was that while on my way to the dealership, I put my car into Sport mode and rev it up to 5K+ several times(could not hold it there longer than 1 second because the car would automatically shifted; I know, I know...I should have done it in manual mode). Similarity, I pretended to pass a car many times by going hard on the accelerator - no limp mode.

Before the service guy handed me the key back, he kindly told me that the tech that did the PCM update wanted to remind me that the warranty in the areas of my concern is a 5yr/60K miles, not the 3yr/36K because the rocker arm/cylinder is part of the powertrain components. All this time I thought the rocker arm related warranty is a 3yr/36k. (Forgive my lack of awareness and for those that are like me, now you are aware). You can also double check what is covered under powertrain warranty(5yr/60k) in your Warranty booklet that came with the car. Another piece of info - Honda recently extended the warranty to 6yr/unlimited miles on the powertrain for owners of Honda CRV with 1.5L turbo engine due to oil dilution and rocker arm issue....you read that right, rocker arm assembly issue. So it is a powertrain related component. And yes, my Trip (A&B) got reset to 0 after the update.
    Last edited by Tran7270; 07-26-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Mazzippy70

Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaftw View Post
    I don't want to worry you, but there is a possibility that your PCM was not updated. Thinking that the dealership is overwhelmed with recall work and perhaps they missed your car. My trip(A&B) was reset like others. I once took my car to have an oil change(at Tire Plus) and got a call that the job was completed only to find out my oil is still dirty.

Registered Member

2018 CX5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaftw View Post
    I had the recall done last week. My trip computer was not reset. Perhaps the difference is that some dealers are disconnecting the battery (resulting in the trip reset) before the doing the PCM update while other dealers are not.

Wade

Registered Member

Mazda

Quote Originally Posted by Tran7270 View Post
    I don't want to worry you, but there is a possibility that your PCM was not updated. Thinking that the dealership is overwhelmed with recall work and perhaps they missed your car. My trip(A&B) was reset like others. I once took my car to have an oil change(at Tire Plus) and got a call that the job was completed only to find out my oil is still dirty.
    I appreciate the concern. I went in on July 3rd and there was one other car waiting for service so it was not busy at all. I verified on the Mazda website that the VIN recall status was closed.

Registered Member

2018 Cx-5 grand touring w/prem. pkg.

It has been a few weeks since we had the pcm sfirmware upgrade. We have noticed our gas mileage has dropped 2 to 3 1/2 mile per gallon. This is city driving getting 22 to 23.5, used to get mostly 25.5 mpg. Anyone else experiencing mpg drop?

Registered Member

CX5 GT

Quote Originally Posted by OFSilverbullet View Post
    It has been a few weeks since we had the pcm sfirmware upgrade. We have noticed our gas mileage has dropped 2 to 3 1/2 mile per gallon. This is city driving getting 22 to 23.5, used to get mostly 25.5 mpg. Anyone else experiencing mpg drop?
    Had the update done last week
    Cant say I have trended mpg for long but one thing I noticed right away is a drop in estimated range at fill up
    I used to see numbers north of 360 miles, now they are just a bit over 340
    First time I thought maybe the attendant just didn't really fill it, the other day I filled it my self and the numbers are the same.
    What the %$#&?

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyd_CX5 View Post
    Had the update done last week
    Cant say I have trended mpg for long but one thing I noticed right away is a drop in estimated range at fill up
    First time I thought maybe the attendant just didn't really fill it, the other day I filled it my self and the numbers are the same.
    What the %$#&?
    I think the computer just takes your average mpg and multiplies by tank capacity MINUS 2, or something like that.
    Maybe they just changed the formula slightly.

Conspiracy theorists might suggest that CD is disabled... joke, it's just a joke!

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

Same here. City mpg dropped a bit vs before.
    and the digital gauge showing the fuel left seems to move slower than before vs actual miles to empty number.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Tran7270 View Post
    "$450 to visually inspect the Rocker Arm"

This is a repeat post I posted on another CD related thread. It seems appropriate to be in this thread too.

My dealership quoted me $450 to open up the valve cover for the visual inspection of the rocker arm. The person that took care of me strongly against this idea as it is not part of the recall, although the labor cost will be on me. He reminded me that my car (19 CX-5 T) only has 3300 miles/5 months old and therefore has a lot of miles/time left until the warranty is up. If there is a case where the warranty is about to expire, then he is more supportive of the rocker arm inspection. He has a point there. But he also said that he will do whatever I wish. The $450 is more than I was willing to pay and there is also a risk in disassembly/reassembly of the valve cover(eg. sloppy tech). So I decided to only do the PCM update - part of the reason was that while on my way to the dealership, I put my car into Sport mode and rev it up to 5K+ several times(could not hold it there longer than 1 second because the car would automatically shifted; I know, I know...I should have done it in manual mode). Similarity, I pretended to pass a car many times by going hard on the accelerator - no limp mode.

Before the service guy handed me the key back, he kindly told me that the tech that did the PCM update wanted to remind me that the warranty in the areas of my concern is a 5yr/60K miles, not the 3yr/36K because the rocker arm/cylinder is part of the powertrain components. All this time I thought the rocker arm related warranty is a 3yr/36k. (Forgive my lack of awareness and for those that are like me, now you are aware). You can also double check what is covered under powertrain warranty(5yr/60k) in your Warranty booklet that came with the car. Another piece of info - Honda recently extended the warranty to 6yr/unlimited miles on the powertrain for owners of Honda CRV with 1.5L turbo engine due to oil dilution and rocker arm issue....you read that right, rocker arm assembly issue. So it is a powertrain related component. And yes, my Trip (A&B) got reset to 0 after the update.
    Wait - you took your '19 Turbo in? I didn't think the Turbo's were part of this recall as they don't have cylinder deactivation?

OR, are you referring the CX-5 T as in TOURING? lol

Just checking!

Donated: $25

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by mac.mc78 View Post
    Wait - you took your '19 Turbo in? I didn't think the Turbo's were part of this recall as they don't have cylinder deactivation?

Just checking!
    "T" likely means Touring. He talked to a service rep regarding the recall, and if he had a 2.5T, they wouldn't have been able to perform the recall as his VIN would not have shown up on the list of affected vehicles.

Mazzippy70

Mazda CX-5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by mac.mc78 View Post

Just checking!
    T = Touring

Registered Member

CX5 GT

Miles to empty update

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyd_CX5 View Post
    Filled up again last night, range is reading 380 or so now
    MPG just shy of 30
    Back to what it used to be
    Guess it took a bit for the ECU to get settled