Did you have the rocker issue recall work done? Post your experience here

I wondered it they did something with the battery that might have toggled the "Mute/UnMute" state. Some folks have noted that their batteries had been disconnected during this fix, while others have not.

Here's hoping that this PCM update fixes the CD issue1

My ODs were not reset so my car had the battery connected the entire time. Lastly, my invoice had exactly what https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCMN-19V497-6526.pdf shows: Operation XXR8BXFX, units0.3 amount $35.70, Symtom CD 99 Damage CD 99. So my dealer did good except for the sticker. So for me that concludes the CD issue. (drinks)

Finally has mine done. Long after getting into it on the phone with a secretary at the dealer that answers the calls, she wouldn't schedule me without a recall letter from Mazda at the time. Like the letter somehow made the safety recall valid?! Recalls are entered into a manufacturer's database, based on VINs/production numbers.

Anyhow, after being upset about the above for weeks. I decided to do a walk in to the dealer service dept. on my day off. They did the recall that same day. My experience is that the car feels like it has a little more oomph, and doesn't seem to wind up as loud when you get on the gas at on-ramps. Though, I do think the mpg has gone down. I suppose it's a trade-off of what seems like a gain in engine power.

my was done few weeks ago. I just got my recall letter few days ago.

It was quick and done in check-in area. No sticker, trip Odoms , and instrument panel brightness were reset.

7/10/2019, 10:03 PM joemazdacx5
well, had my cx5 pcm software updated for the 'fix' today. took about 20 minutes. the mechanic that did the flash said version he is using now is 13.06. he said increase oil pressure to keep rocker arm in place plus the timing was off and this new pcm fixed that also. I asked by how much oil pressure was increased? could it cause oil leaks in future ? he said mazda headquarters don't tell him stuff like that. I asked if this new pcm just masks the problem? he said no, and if the rocker arm falls off that you'll know it because the timing will be off and you could hear it. So, sorry , not that mechanical , and best I could do. Oh also , no to removing the valve cover to check it it's already fallen off. guess he could hear it if it did.

what does it sound like? what would the timing being off be like? any other symptoms? thank you

what does it sound like? what would the timing being off be like? any other symptoms? thank you
If the rocker arm falls off that I dont believe you'll know it because the timing will be off and you could hear it based on several reports here. The only clue is your engine will be in limp at very high rpm, and CEL with DTC P3400 error code. Worse, if you have PCM firmware updated with the recall, but the rocker arm had fallen prior, the updated PCM firmware will mask the problem and you wont see the CEL, but only the limp mode may still happen.

just had ours done last week-->drove to Myrtle Beach, had the recall done while there, and just drove back to NJ. Sticker under the hood and trip odometer was resent. Now here is the odd part...the trip going down and back up the same (same load in the car/ same traffic/ same temps). Going down to Myrtle MPG after 600 miles was 34.5. Coming back today (after recall done) 37.2! A new record for our CX5! Best we ever got in the past was 36.2.

So did the recall improve my MPG???

seems so...here too...after a month now I have noticed mpg went up on regular basis (first it went down right after the recall work).
most recent was aprox. 37 for around 100 miles trip with avg speed 60.

just had ours done last week-->drove to Myrtle Beach, had the recall done while there, and just drove back to NJ. Sticker under the hood and trip odometer was resent. Now here is the odd part...the trip going down and back up the same (same load in the car/ same traffic/ same temps). Going down to Myrtle MPG after 600 miles was 34.5. Coming back today (after recall done) 37.2! A new record for our CX5! Best we ever got in the past was 36.2.

So did the recall improve my MPG???

Wow, did you have the cruise control set to 50MPH?

seems so...here too...after a month now I have noticed mpg went up on regular basis (first it went down right after the recall work).
most recent was aprox. 37 for around 100 miles trip with avg speed 60.

Wow, hope mine goes up too. After the recall it's been in the low 20's so far(notcool)

Wow, did you have the cruise control set to 50MPH?

No..600 miles each way--used the adaptive cruise control (which is great and works flawlessly) with cruising MPH from 55 (around Baltimore and Wahington) up to 70 MPH (in VA, NC, SC)!

Before the recall, I get 22-24 mpg on my GT AWD. After recall done, it drops below 20s mpg. I am very disappointing!

I think Mazda should take our car back/ buy back before class action lawsuits.

Before the recall, I get 22-24 mpg on my GT AWD. After recall done, it drops below 20s mpg. I am very disappointing!

I think Mazda should take our car back/ buy back before class action lawsuits.

Give it some time--I noticed that for the first 100 miles the MPG were lower than usual but then went up to better than before!

My car is in for recall today, lots of CX5's in the queue. Dealer says 4 cars with rocker failures so far.

My car is in for recall today, lots of CX5's in the queue. Dealer says 4 cars with rocker failures so far.

Did you discuss the rocker failures with them? Did they say how they determined which ones failed?

I wonder if the first thing they do when they get it in the shop is rev the piss out of it to see if it goes into limp....

Back