Did you have the rocker issue recall work done? Post your experience here

I don't know about that in this situation. If Mazda says put a new transmission from the factory in, would they send a rebuilt one and consider it new? A rebuilt trans is probably as good as a new one, but I would want a factory fresh new one that didn't have a used case or who knows what other reused parts.
Well, the question raised when I talked to the Master Tech for rear EPB dragging issue before my new-car warranty expires. I had concerns on early transmission failure happened on some 2016 CX-5's reported here due to a bad batch of parts been put in. I asked how many transmissions he'd replaced so far for those early failure on 2016 CX-5. He said there're dozens. And I asked if Mazda would really replace those failed transmissions with brand new ones? He said no. He saw only one so far that's because there's none available in local Mazda parts warehouse. He said MNAO would consider those rebuilds are as good as new ones.

Actually you would see several OEM parts are only available in rebuild such as steering rack, alternator, and even water pump, to name a few.

Just got back from the dealership. I was checked in at 9:10a and all done at 10:22a. I didn't get a sticker and the od was not reset. No noticeable difference in MPG or sounds or drive behavior, I got 31mpg coming home based on the drive trip monitor. I asked the check in person if I could have the before and after software number and he said "Do you think it's Windows OS? Don't worry the work will be done" And I said people on the Mazda forum said they would like that info and he said "For a new car never go on forums, most of the people on forums don't even drive a car" haha. I just "Yeah they just give opinions", to be non combative. Little does he know that the forum members are the ones who made Mazda Co realize there was a rocker arm problem in the first place.
TSB 01-008/19 for problem on "Engine Oil Flexible Maintenance Notification" has detailed procedure for PCM firmware update. There're PCM calibration part number and file name for PCM firmware update. Your dealer should get at least PCM calibration p/n similar to "PYAV-188K2-E" listed in the TSB link, or they just don't know what they're doing.

Further, I believe if you see trip odometer or other things got reset after the PCM update, your dealer didn't follow the procedure closely. Nothing should get reset after the PCM update.

TSB 01-008/19 said:
NOTE:

● It is not necessary to remove any fuses or relays during PCM reprogramming when the IDS screen prompts you to do so. You may accidentally stop power to one of the PCM terminals and cause the PCM to be blanked, or you may receive error messages during the IDS reprogramming procedure.

● When performing this procedure, we recommend using the Power Supply mode in the Battery Management System to keep the vehicle battery up to capacity. If a different charger is used, make sure it does not exceed 20 AMPS. If it exceeds 20 AMPS, it could damage the VCM.

I have started to not recommend 18-20 non Turbo CX5s to friends and family. Such a cluster **** this is. My #1 CX5 pick is 17 Touring with PEP followed by 16 with Tech (assuming headlight recall is done). So sad that so many people have lost faith due to like what 1 mpg?
I used to recommend CX-5 to friends and family all the time. I stopped doing that since Mazda introduced cylinder deactivation for 2018 MY CX-5. I also cancelled my original plan getting a 2018 CX-5, and got a 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (Mazda2) instead.

BTW there's no "recall" on very problematic LED headlights from 2016 CX-5 with Tech Package.

And CD gained 0 mpg for CX-5 AWD on EPA combined FE rating (same 26); and 0 mpg for CX-5 FWD on EPA highway FE rating (same 31).

I think they forgot to put ATF in the transmission. I don't think they will give you a straight answer about the fluid. On the bright side you now have a brand new motor and a brand new transmission for free. Those things are not cheap. You shouldn't accelerate hard or over rev it for 500 or so miles during the break in. I don't think you will have any more problems with the car.

I certainly hope not! And no problem keeping off the revs for the first 500 miles! My son has to take my wife's car back since this one won't be ready. Without him driving it we should be just fine!! LOL

Had mine done today. Trip monitors reset. Invoice states recall number and mentions "rocker arm" in description.

How did you find out? Went into limp mode? CEL flashing? Or something else?

It's my son's car so his tale to tell which went something like this. On the interstate and everything was fine until he hit about 70 miles an hour. At that point, limp mode. He pulls over to the shoulder. Kills the engine. Waits a few minutes and restarts. Gets back on the interstate. All is well once again until about 70 mph. Same thing happens. At that point he makes it home on the side roads keeping his speed to general city driving. Drops car at the dealership the following Monday (it was a Friday when it happened.) Gets a call several hours later that Mazda says to replace the engine.

It's my son's car so his tale to tell which went something like this. On the interstate and everything was fine until he hit about 70 miles an hour. At that point, limp mode. He pulls over to the shoulder. Kills the engine. Waits a few minutes and restarts. Gets back on the interstate. All is well once again until about 70 mph. Same thing happens. At that point he makes it home on the side roads keeping his speed to general city driving. Drops car at the dealership the following Monday (it was a Friday when it happened.) Gets a call several hours later that Mazda says to replace the engine.
Thanks for the info. It sounded like your son didn't see the CEL but only limp mode. At least your son didn't get the limp mode in any dangerous situation.

Had mine done today. Trip monitors reset. Invoice states recall number and mentions "rocker arm" in description.

My invoice says '3719F Rocker Arm Concern PCM Reflashed' 0.3 units $35.70. It also has Sympton CD: 99 Damage CD: 99 whatever that means. And 'Complimentary Full Circle Inspection $125.00'. But unlike you, my trip odometers were not reset so they must not have disconnected the battery. Plus when I took the car, it was at normal operating temperature so they had it idling for a while. And they turned on the radio. I never have the radio on. The mileage in was the same as the mileage out so they didn't drive it.

Yup.....it was fine for the first 14 months and nearly 17K miles.

Was he the primary driver all that time?

It's not a case of he just started driving it like a teenager will do?

If he's been driving it the entire time, and it just dropped off after a year, the problem for Mazda seems to grow more serious.

Thanks for the info. It sounded like your son didn't see the CEL but only limp mode. At least your son didn't get the limp mode in any dangerous situation.

No doubt! If only he weren't a 21 year old with an attitude problem who now has a problem with Japan, Mazda, Balise Mazda for not fixing the car correctly and our selling dealership and anyone associated with them for selling him what he lovingly refers to as 'a piece of #$%#!'

Yes. We leased this for him replacing a Ford Fusion he had. He's had it with him at school since new.

Update............new transmission work finally completed on my son's CX-5. Picked it up yesterday after about two weeks. Seems to be running well. My wife picked it up so I didn't get a chance to ask any questions. No trouble codes listed on the invoice. Looks like they also changed out the exhaust manifold gasket. Anyway, we'll have this car for about a month until we take it up to MA to swap out with my wife's car so plenty of time to drive it and see how she does. Stay tuned!!

I had the recall PCM software update done today. It took probably 30 minutes. The trip meters were reset.

The dealer didn't put much information on the invoice--nothing about the PCM software version--but it does say the PCM reprogramming was done with M-MDS using IDS version 114.05, which is good to know. Mazda has issued several versions of the repair procedure (at the NHTSA website) that have changed the specified version of IDS. Initially it was "113.06 or later" then "113.06...do not use any later version" then about a week ago "114.02A or later."

I don't perceive any change in the way the car runs. I put about 50 miles on it--95 percent highway--and the gauge showed over 33 mpg. Since some people have reported decreased mileage after having the recall procedure done, I was very happy to see it getting excellent mileage.

I'm going to try to quit worrying about cylinder deactivation now.

Last edited:
I'm going to try to quit worrying about cylinder activation now.

I'm glad your car's running well and your mileage is unaffected. 33 is pretty darn good for such a nice car!

Regarding worrying: Mazda has acknowledged the issue and you've had their remedy applied to your car, so if nothing else I would think that your future risk (if any) is minimal.

I had the recall PCM software update done today. It took probably 30 minutes. The trip meters were reset.

The dealer didn't put much information on the invoice--nothing about the PCM software version--but it does say the PCM reprogramming was done with M-MDS using IDS version 114.05, which is good to know. Mazda has issued several versions of the repair procedure (at the NHTSA website) that have change the specified version of IDS. Initially it was "113.06 or later" then "113.06...do not use any later version" then about a week ago "114.02A or later."

I don't perceive any change in the way the car runs. I put about 50 miles on it--95 percent highway--and the gauge showed over 33 mpg. Since some people have reported decreased mileage after having the recall procedure done, I was very happy to see it getting excellent mileage.

I'm going to try to quit worrying about cylinder activation now.

Did they put a sticker on your car showing that the work was done? They didn't put a sticker on mine.

Last edited:
The IDS 113.06 is just the software on the automotive diagnostic pc software. At first I thought it was a new version of the PCM update. The update has consistently been called PAJ3-188K2H. The tech also did an inspection of my car, he probably turned on my radio as part of the inspection.

The IDS 113.06 is just the software on the automotive diagnostic pc software. At first I thought it was a new version of the PCM update. The update has consistently been called PAJ3-188K2H. The tech also did an inspection of my car, he probably turned on my radio as part of the inspection.

I wondered it they did something with the battery that might have toggled the "Mute/UnMute" state. Some folks have noted that their batteries had been disconnected during this fix, while others have not.

Here's hoping that this PCM update fixes the CD issue1

Back