Did you have the rocker issue recall work done? Post your experience here

My trip computer was not reset.

I had the recall done last week. My trip computer was not reset. Perhaps the difference is that some dealers are disconnecting the battery (resulting in the trip reset) before the doing the PCM update while other dealers are not.

Wade

I don't want to worry you, but there is a possibility that your PCM was not updated. Thinking that the dealership is overwhelmed with recall work and perhaps they missed your car. My trip(A&B) was reset like others. I once took my car to have an oil change(at Tire Plus) and got a call that the job was completed only to find out my oil is still dirty.

I appreciate the concern. I went in on July 3rd and there was one other car waiting for service so it was not busy at all. I verified on the Mazda website that the VIN recall status was closed.

It has been a few weeks since we had the pcm sfirmware upgrade. We have noticed our gas mileage has dropped 2 to 3 1/2 mile per gallon. This is city driving getting 22 to 23.5, used to get mostly 25.5 mpg. Anyone else experiencing mpg drop?

It has been a few weeks since we had the pcm sfirmware upgrade. We have noticed our gas mileage has dropped 2 to 3 1/2 mile per gallon. This is city driving getting 22 to 23.5, used to get mostly 25.5 mpg. Anyone else experiencing mpg drop?

Had the update done last week
Cant say I have trended mpg for long but one thing I noticed right away is a drop in estimated range at fill up
I used to see numbers north of 360 miles, now they are just a bit over 340
First time I thought maybe the attendant just didn't really fill it, the other day I filled it my self and the numbers are the same.
What the %$#&?

Had the update done last week
Cant say I have trended mpg for long but one thing I noticed right away is a drop in estimated range at fill up
First time I thought maybe the attendant just didn't really fill it, the other day I filled it my self and the numbers are the same.
What the %$#&?

I think the computer just takes your average mpg and multiplies by tank capacity MINUS 2, or something like that.
Maybe they just changed the formula slightly.

Conspiracy theorists might suggest that CD is disabled... joke, it's just a joke!

Same here. City mpg dropped a bit vs before.
and the digital gauge showing the fuel left seems to move slower than before vs actual miles to empty number.

"$450 to visually inspect the Rocker Arm"

This is a repeat post I posted on another CD related thread. It seems appropriate to be in this thread too.

My dealership quoted me $450 to open up the valve cover for the visual inspection of the rocker arm. The person that took care of me strongly against this idea as it is not part of the recall, although the labor cost will be on me. He reminded me that my car (19 CX-5 T) only has 3300 miles/5 months old and therefore has a lot of miles/time left until the warranty is up. If there is a case where the warranty is about to expire, then he is more supportive of the rocker arm inspection. He has a point there. But he also said that he will do whatever I wish. The $450 is more than I was willing to pay and there is also a risk in disassembly/reassembly of the valve cover(eg. sloppy tech). So I decided to only do the PCM update - part of the reason was that while on my way to the dealership, I put my car into Sport mode and rev it up to 5K+ several times(could not hold it there longer than 1 second because the car would automatically shifted; I know, I know...I should have done it in manual mode). Similarity, I pretended to pass a car many times by going hard on the accelerator - no limp mode.

Before the service guy handed me the key back, he kindly told me that the tech that did the PCM update wanted to remind me that the warranty in the areas of my concern is a 5yr/60K miles, not the 3yr/36K because the rocker arm/cylinder is part of the powertrain components. All this time I thought the rocker arm related warranty is a 3yr/36k. (Forgive my lack of awareness and for those that are like me, now you are aware). You can also double check what is covered under powertrain warranty(5yr/60k) in your Warranty booklet that came with the car. Another piece of info - Honda recently extended the warranty to 6yr/unlimited miles on the powertrain for owners of Honda CRV with 1.5L turbo engine due to oil dilution and rocker arm issue....you read that right, rocker arm assembly issue. So it is a powertrain related component. And yes, my Trip (A&B) got reset to 0 after the update.

Wait - you took your '19 Turbo in? I didn't think the Turbo's were part of this recall as they don't have cylinder deactivation?

OR, are you referring the CX-5 T as in TOURING? lol

Just checking!

Wait - you took your '19 Turbo in? I didn't think the Turbo's were part of this recall as they don't have cylinder deactivation?

OR, are you referring the CX-5 T as in TOURING? lol

Just checking!

"T" likely means Touring. He talked to a service rep regarding the recall, and if he had a 2.5T, they wouldn't have been able to perform the recall as his VIN would not have shown up on the list of affected vehicles.

Miles to empty update

Filled up again last night, range is reading 380 or so now
MPG just shy of 30
Back to what it used to be
Guess it took a bit for the ECU to get settled
BTW, I pushed the RPMS pretty hard during that ECU learn period :)

I called for an appointment today. He asked if I got a letter in the mail and I said no, and he said that my car didn't have any recalls so I said it does, the rocker arm issue. I asked if they did any repairs for the rocker arm issue and he said a few. Then we scheduled for Monday. It is so odd that the dealership is so in the dark. I almost think they should have a person hired to scan this board to shed some light on what is going on with our Mazdas. On the bright side he said that only the master tech does the recall jobs. So it won't be a kid they just hired out of high school doing the work.

I went on the Mazda web site, put in my VIN and this is what came up

YOUR 2018 CX-5 HAS 1 SAFETY RECALL(S).
VIN: jm3kfadm2jxxxxxxx | UPDATE: Aug 07, 2019
Recall/SSP & Date 3719F | Jun 27, 2019
NHTSA #19V-497
Status Incomplete; Remedy not yet available

Details
Recall: ROCKER ARM CONCERN

Safety Risk:
In the worst case, engine damage may occur, resulting in engine stall while driving without ability to be restarted, which may increase the risk of a crash.
Repair:
A Mazda dealer will reprogram the PCM with improved hydraulic valve adjustment control software, so that it may operate properly when transitioning from cylinder deactivation to full cylinder activation modes while driving.

I went on the Mazda web site, put in my VIN and this is what came up

YOUR 2018 CX-5 HAS 1 SAFETY RECALL(S).
VIN: jm3kfadm2jxxxxxxx | UPDATE: Aug 07, 2019
Recall/SSP & Date 3719F | Jun 27, 2019
NHTSA #19V-497
Status Incomplete; Remedy not yet available

Details
Recall: ROCKER ARM CONCERN

Safety Risk:
In the worst case, engine damage may occur, resulting in engine stall while driving without ability to be restarted, which may increase the risk of a crash.
Repair:
A Mazda dealer will reprogram the PCM with improved hydraulic valve adjustment control software, so that it may operate properly when transitioning from cylinder deactivation to full cylinder activation modes while driving.

I told my local dealer about the recall. They said "it says the recall is in an incomplete status with a remedy that's not yet available". I'm over here thinking, well then what the heck is the software update for??
-Long story short they claim that they can't setup an appointment until I get the letter. Like the letter somehow makes the need for a recall an available remedy.

I told my local dealer about the recall. They said "it says the recall is in an incomplete status with a remedy that's not yet available". I'm over here thinking, well then what the heck is the software update for??
-Long story short they claim that they can't setup an appointment until I get the letter. Like the letter somehow makes the need for a recall an available remedy.

If you do what I did, print it out, then call Mazda USA I bet they can change the dealers opinion

I think there are only 2 dealers in Sacramento, Maita and Elk Grove. I had the recall done back in July at Maita Mazda. I just called and asked for an appointment to do the recall - no problem!

couple of things I've noticed since getting the cd update .....
my mgp has dropped .5mpg and on cold starts it cold idles
for 20 seconds before it starts dropping to normal idle......

also they didn't put a sticker saying it was completed, though
it is..

It's weird, huh? I initially called in July and they said that they didn't have the parts and they would call me when I could schedule an appointment. I let a few weeks go by and then called them back on Wednesday. And you can see what they told me on Wednesday. I am going in tomorrow and will post my experience.

Last edited:
If you had the recall work done for the rocker arm concern, post your experience here. I think it will benefit others to hear about your experience with getting the recall work done, for example how long it took. If you notice anything different about your car after the work, for example if your MPG changed or you hear any new noises, put that in your post too. I haven't had the work done yet because my dealer is still waiting for the part used to do the reprogramming.

We leased a 2018 CX-5 Touring AWD for our son in April of 2018. All good until beginning of July when this issue came about but before we were informed of any software fixes. The result; rocker arm in the #4 cylinder fell off as diagnosed by Balise Mazda in western MA. They had the car nearly 4 weeks and replaced the engine at Mazda's direction. Within days the transmission started acting up. My son came home Friday from MA and we are dropping the car tomorrow morning at the dealership that leased it to us. I experienced the issues personally this afternoon. Car won't go into gear at times, either R or D. Sport mode has no effect on trying. Error messages for the transmission and just about every other system. Check engine light has been on for a couple of weeks now. After sitting in the car with the engine running and in D and playing with the throttle, it finally caught and jerked forward. Error messages everywhere. Feels like no first gear and maybe no second gear as starting from a stand still takes forever. Hopefully it will run enough tomorrow to make the 12 mile drive to the dealership! Very disappointed with Mazda. I've had way too many new cars in my lifetime, American made, Japanese, and German. First and last Mazda for us. Wish it weren't leased so we could get rid of it!

Back