Did you have the rocker issue recall work done? Post your experience here

We leased a 2018 CX-5 Touring AWD for our son in April of 2018. All good until beginning of July when this issue came about but before we were informed of any software fixes. The result; rocker arm in the #4 cylinder fell off as diagnosed by Balise Mazda in western MA. They had the car nearly 4 weeks and replaced the engine at Mazda's direction. Within days the transmission started acting up. My son came home Friday from MA and we are dropping the car tomorrow morning at the dealership that leased it to us. I experienced the issues personally this afternoon. Car won't go into gear at times, either R or D. Sport mode has no effect on trying. Error messages for the transmission and just about every other system. Check engine light has been on for a couple of weeks now. After sitting in the car with the engine running and in D and playing with the throttle, it finally caught and jerked forward. Error messages everywhere. Feels like no first gear and maybe no second gear as starting from a stand still takes forever. Hopefully it will run enough tomorrow to make the 12 mile drive to the dealership! Very disappointed with Mazda. I've had way too many new cars in my lifetime, American made, Japanese, and German. First and last Mazda for us. Wish it weren't leased so we could get rid of it!

Excluding wrecks, that is that worst story I've read since I've been following the CX-5.

Hopefully just a loose connector.

Thanks for documenting your engine replacement.

Excluding wrecks, that is that worst story I've read since I've been following the CX-5.

Hopefully just a loose connector.

Thanks for documenting your engine replacement.

I'll update once we know what's wrong. I don't think it's mechanical. Guessing something wasn't synchronized properly when they installed the fresh motor. Stay tuned!

We leased a 2018 CX-5 Touring AWD for our son in April of 2018. All good until beginning of July when this issue came about but before we were informed of any software fixes. The result; rocker arm in the #4 cylinder fell off as diagnosed by Balise Mazda in western MA. They had the car nearly 4 weeks and replaced the engine at Mazda's direction. Within days the transmission started acting up. My son came home Friday from MA and we are dropping the car tomorrow morning at the dealership that leased it to us. I experienced the issues personally this afternoon. Car won't go into gear at times, either R or D. Sport mode has no effect on trying. Error messages for the transmission and just about every other system. Check engine light has been on for a couple of weeks now. After sitting in the car with the engine running and in D and playing with the throttle, it finally caught and jerked forward. Error messages everywhere. Feels like no first gear and maybe no second gear as starting from a stand still takes forever. Hopefully it will run enough tomorrow to make the 12 mile drive to the dealership! Very disappointed with Mazda. I've had way too many new cars in my lifetime, American made, Japanese, and German. First and last Mazda for us. Wish it weren't leased so we could get rid of it!
Thanks for reporting your experience with fallen rocker arm here.

Can't blame you that your CX-5 would be your last Mazda due to this bad experience on your first Mazda. Mazda simply dropped the ball on this cylinder deactivation fiasco. Whoever made this decision to implement cylinder deactivation on 2.5L should resign his position from Mazda.

On your transmission issue IMO it seems you have low ATF level which may cause all of symptoms you have. Please do report us back what is the problem on your transmission.

Just got back from the dealership. I was checked in at 9:10a and all done at 10:22a. I didn't get a sticker and the od was not reset. No noticeable difference in MPG or sounds or drive behavior, I got 31mpg coming home based on the drive trip monitor. I asked the check in person if I could have the before and after software number and he said "Do you think it's Windows OS? Don't worry the work will be done" And I said people on the Mazda forum said they would like that info and he said "For a new car never go on forums, most of the people on forums don't even drive a car" haha. I just "Yeah they just give opinions", to be non combative. Little does he know that the forum members are the ones who made Mazda Co realize there was a rocker arm problem in the first place.

Just got back from the dealership. I was checked in at 9:10a and all done at 10:22a. I didn't get a sticker and the od was not reset. No noticeable difference in MPG or sounds or drive behavior, I got 31mpg coming home based on the drive trip monitor. I asked the check in person if I could have the before and after software number and he said "Do you think it's Windows OS? Don't worry the work will be done" And I said people on the Mazda forum said they would like that info and he said "For a new car never go on forums, most of the people on forums don't even drive a car" haha. I just "Yeah they just give opinions", to be non combative. Little does he know that the forum members are the ones who made Mazda Co realize there was a rocker arm problem in the first place.

The check-in attendant sounds like an ass with that Windows OS comment.

The check-in attendant sounds like an ass with that Windows OS comment.

Anyone not versioning their software releases, updates, bug fixes, firmware, etc. is doing it wrong.

Release Manager in me talking.

I would assume Mazda versions this stuff and he should be able to tell you.

Thanks for reporting your experience with fallen rocker arm here.

Can't blame you that your CX-5 would be your last Mazda due to this bad experience on your first Mazda. Mazda simply dropped the ball on this cylinder deactivation fiasco. Whoever made this decision to implement cylinder deactivation on 2.5L should resign his position from Mazda.

On your transmission issue IMO it seems you have low ATF level which may cause all of symptoms you have. Please do report us back what is the problem on your transmission.

Update on our situation. Dropped the car this morning at the dealership. They have all the records in the system for the engine replacement, etc. Within an hour I received a call back. And I quote "The tech ran a scan and so many transmission error codes came up they lobbed a call into Mazda. Corporate said to replace the transmission." The Service Writer said it is unrelated to the recent issue and engine replacement. Okay, whatever. Another week or two in the shop!

Update on our situation. Dropped the car this morning at the dealership. They have all the records in the system for the engine replacement, etc. Within an hour I received a call back. And I quote "The tech ran a scan and so many transmission error codes came up they lobbed a call into Mazda. Corporate said to replace the transmission." The Service Writer said it is unrelated to the recent issue and engine replacement. Okay, whatever. Another week or two in the shop!

Sorry to hear that. Incredibly bad luck for you.

Have they at least given you a good loaner?

Sorry to hear that. Incredibly bad luck for you.

Have they at least given you a good loaner?

Bad luck for sure! I guess I was overdue...........had lots of brand new cars over the years and never anything serious like this. Every dog must have it's day! Hopefully a new tranny gets this bucket running well for the duration of the lease and then we are out! They gave me a 2019 CX-5 with only 400 miles on it so yes, I'd call that a good loaner! I drove that loaner all day today and I have to say compared to my wife's 2018 Honda CRV, it's quicker, much quieter, handles better, and has a regular tranny vs that CVT junk Honda and Nissan put in their like sized SUVs. Now only if it were reliable!! LOL

Based on report from jjm86m on June 8th, his engine replacement due to fallen rocker arm did involve ATF replacement. That's why I believe your dealer may screwed up this with low ATF level and caused all the error codes on transmission. The timing of your transmission trouble just isn't right.

Just picked up the CX5 today. Seems to drive normally. New Engine, New ATF, New Oil. Haven't really pushed the engine bc I want to take it easy and break it in. But so far so good. Next step is to go onto NHTSA and file an official complaint
Thanks for the update.

I wonder why you got new ATF for an engine replacement?

I still believe there's something Mazda either doesn't want to tell, or Mazda doesn't know the real reason why the rock arms are falling off. If the hardware has no issues, they could easily have the tech to put the fallen rocker arm back to the position and update the PCM software. Replacing the entire engine for this problem makes me suspicious. Once enough people who encountered this problem and reported to NHTSA, NHTSA could force Mazda to initiate a safety recall to explain and fix the problem from the root.

Anyone not versioning their software releases, updates, bug fixes, firmware, etc. is doing it wrong.

Release Manager in me talking.

I would assume Mazda versions this stuff and he should be able to tell you.
Yes Mazda dealer should provide PCM version number like jjm86m's dealer did. I was given PCM version on the invoice when I got PCM update for Flexible oil life monitor problem.

My original PCM software was F0008XDX. It was reflashed F0010XDX
BTW, how did you get the firmware version out of your PCM?
It was on my service report for the work completed on my CX5. I didn't go in and check it myself.

Based on report from jjm86m on June 8th, his engine replacement due to fallen rocker arm did involve ATF replacement. That's why I believe your dealer may screwed up this with low ATF level and caused all the error codes on transmission. The timing of your transmission trouble just isn't right.

Certainly could be the case but a very sad one at that! At this point, the car is here on Long Island at the dealership who leased it to us. The engine replacement was done at Balise Mazda in Western Massachusetts. I'll as the Service Writer here if they found a low ATF level. One would think that a Dealer Technician would know to check all fluid levels, no?

Certainly could be the case but a very sad one at that! At this point, the car is here on Long Island at the dealership who leased it to us. The engine replacement was done at Balise Mazda in Western Massachusetts. I'll as the Service Writer here if they found a low ATF level. One would think that a Dealer Technician would know to check all fluid levels, no?

I think they forgot to put ATF in the transmission. I don't think they will give you a straight answer about the fluid. On the bright side you now have a brand new motor and a brand new transmission for free. Those things are not cheap. You shouldn't accelerate hard or over rev it for 500 or so miles during the break in. I don't think you will have any more problems with the car.

Unfortunately the current SOP for the tech to diagnose the transmission is to hook up the Mazda IDS and read error codes. They don*t know too much about vehicle history, and they don*t use their common sense and experience, if any, to find the true cause of the problem.

Since your transmission had so many error codes, the tech simply consulted Mazda technical support line and asked for the opinion. With that many codes, Mazda support line felt replacing a new (most likely a rebuild) transmission is the easiest way to resolve the issue. I don*t think the tech ever checked the ATF level, and with many codes, some components inside of transmission may have already damaged anyway due to low ATF level.

If I were you I*d ask for all the transmission error codes been put in the vehicle record and printed on the invoice. One of them could be an error code from low ATF level. I*d also ask this dealer to verify the PCM version, making sure the previous Mazda dealer actually did the PCM update. And ask them to print the current PCM version on the invoice too.

Last edited:

So the car went into limp mode over a year since you first got the car? April 2018 to July 2019?

Unfortunately the current SOP for the tech to diagnose the transmission is to hook up the Mazda MDS computer and read the error codes. They don*t know too much about vehicle history, and they don*t use their common sense and experience, if any, to find the true cause of the problem.

Since your transmission had so many error codes, the tech simply consulted Mazda technical support line and asked for the opinion. With that many codes, Mazda support line felt replacing a new (most likely a rebuild) transmission is the easiest way to resolve the issue. I don*t think the tech ever checked the ATF level, and with many codes, some components inside of transmission may have already damaged anyway due to low ATF level.

If I were you I*d ask for all the transmission error codes been put in the vehicle record and printed on the invoice. One of them could be an error code from low ATF level. I*d also ask this dealer to verify the PCM version, making sure the previous Mazda dealer actually did the PCM update. And ask them to print the current PCM version on the invoice too.

I think they will put a new transmission in because the car is so new. The car is still under warranty and they won't want to replace the transmission for free again, in case what ever shop that rebuilds them didn't do a good rebuild.

I think they will put a new transmission in because the car is so new. The car is still under warranty and they won't want to replace the transmission for free again, in case what ever shop that rebuilds them didn't do a good rebuild.
Whether or not a customer gets new or rebuilt transmission is depending on MNAOs inventory. Based on the conversion with a Master Tech at my Mazda dealer, most new engines and transmissions for replacement are rebuilt. Very few are brand new, thats because MNAO is running out of rebuilds. As from MNAO point of view, they all new!

One last thing to note for me is, the NHTSA now shows '0 Unrepaired Recalls associated with this VIN' and my Mazda app no longer shows the recall notice. The miles shown for my car on the Mazda app is about 3,000 miles higher than my actual miles, so it was not updated.

Whether or not a customer gets new or rebuilt transmission is depending on MNAO*s inventory. Based on the conversion with a Master Tech at my Mazda dealer, most *new* engines and transmissions for replacement are rebuilt. Very few are brand new, that*s because MNAO is running out of rebuilds. As from MNAO point of view, they all *new*!

I don't know about that in this situation. If Mazda says put a new transmission from the factory in, would they send a rebuilt one and consider it new? A rebuilt trans is probably as good as a new one, but I would want a factory fresh new one that didn't have a used case or who knows what other reused parts.

I have started to not recommend 18-20 non Turbo CX5s to friends and family. Such a cluster **** this is. My #1 CX5 pick is 17 Touring with PEP followed by 16 with Tech (assuming headlight recall is done). So sad that so many people have lost faith due to like what 1 mpg?

Back