Did you have the rocker issue recall work done? Post your experience here

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
If you had the recall work done for the rocker arm concern, post your experience here. I think it will benefit others to hear about your experience with getting the recall work done, for example how long it took. If you notice anything different about your car after the work, for example if your MPG changed or you hear any new noises, put that in your post too. I haven't had the work done yet because my dealer is still waiting for the part used to do the reprogramming.

I would also urge those to post whether or not the dealer checked to see if the rocker arm fell off (likely not as it isn't specified in the recall). I would also suggest those who had the recall done to safely perform the following test on an unoccupied open road:

Start the car and put it in "manual" mode. Accelerate to 2nd or 3rd gear, then rev up to 5000-5500 RPM and hold it there for 10 seconds, then come to a complete stop.

If the rocker arm has fallen off, the test should force the car into limp mode, which means you can take the car back to the dealer for the appropriate repair.

I would also urge those to post whether or not the dealer checked to see if the rocker arm fell off (likely not as it isn't specified in the recall). I would also suggest those who had the recall done to safely perform the following test on an unoccupied open road:

Start the car and put it in "manual" mode. Accelerate to 2nd or 3rd gear, then rev up to 5000-5500 RPM and hold it there for 10 seconds, then come to a complete stop.

If the rocker arm has fallen off, the test should force the car into limp mode, which means you can take the car back to the dealer for the appropriate repair.

I don't know.. 5500 in 3rd gear might be too fast for some (drive)

If one cylinder is not firing due to a closed valve, wouldn't it give a CEL? In addition: I certainly can tell if my 4 cyl engine is running on only 3 cyl. I see little value in running up RPM to find out if a lifter is not functioning-sounds like a foolish endeavor that may even cause harm. Ed

It might give a CEL if you do what sm1ke suggests. It*s essentially one valve not opening up, always closed if the rocker arm fell off. You don*t know there*s an issue until you push the engine and the lack of the valve opening rears it*s head. Definitely not a case of running 3 out of the 4 cylinders. It is one cylinder lacking one of the four valves opening when it needs to.

Do it on open road and you*ll be fine. Restarting the car seemed to get it out of limp mode per the CD thread.

If one cylinder is not firing due to a closed valve, wouldn't it give a CEL? In addition: I certainly can tell if my 4 cyl engine is running on only 3 cyl. I see little value in running up RPM to find out if a lifter is not functioning-sounds like a foolish endeavor that may even cause harm. Ed

If the engine is ok, running it like that won't hurt it a bit, might even be good for it.(drive2)

But if the engine is already broken, it won't additionally hurt it , and then at least you'll know it, CEL or not.

I've suggested that everyone with an affected engine do this test, before AND after the recall, so that they won't be caught unawares.(sleep)

I wouldn't race it if the car is in the break in period. Looking at the valve train is the best because revving the engine may not prove anything other than it didn't go into limp mode on that specific drive. For example Go Hawks revved his car up other times and it didn't go into limp mode right?

Only pcm was updated.
There was some confusion initially as they mentioned recall is not 'public' yet not until August (no idea why).

In and out in 30 mins.
Seems battery was disconnected before the work.
No visible or audible changes, in noises or mpg or power after the update.

Noticed the recall work done (dealer visit) does not show yet in car history menu in mymazda or carfax.

We had recall done Friday 7/5 with 2,805 miles. I was 2 hours before it was done. They also did the android auto update and there free full circle service inspection. I put the car in manual 1st gear and drove @ 5200 rpms for approximately 7 seconds. Car is running fine at this point.

The "mymazda" update is only done on some sort of scheduled. I've waited for up to 10 days before the update was added. Ed

I'll be under the assumption that a simple rev and hold at 5k rpm will prove nothing. The rocker arm that's falling off is intended to open the second intake valve on one cylinder. It's been said that the engine runs great even on one valve, so a specific set of events must occur to really upset the air/fuel ratio.

A severe lean condition might only occur under specific circumstances such as above 4k rpm AND full throttle for an extended period of time (ie, while accelerating hard in a higher gear while passing traffic, this is where we'd be expecting maximum airflow). Most engine mgmt systems filter hysteresis (ignoring brief anomalies of data) until they reach a set threshold over a specified period of time. Similar to TPMS where low tire pressure needs to be observed for X amount of miles or time before throwing a warning light.

However, this is all conjecture because it would appear that no one here knows how the engine mgmt system is programmed. I won't presume my CX5 is normal unless it's visually inspected...which l doubt will happen, so we'll just have to take Mazda's word for it. :)

I am going to try and consolidate the results here:

7/11/2019, 12:29 AM silverboy
Hey guys, I had the Recall #3719F software fixed yesterday done on my 2019 CX5. It took about 45 minutes. Anyone else had the fix done? I noticed that the CX5 is not as much fun to drive anymore as it was before the fix. Also, I noticed that at take off, if I give a lot of gas, there's a huge delay before the vehicle responds. It feels almost like a turbo lag, however my CX5 has no turbo. It sucks because the vehicle always felt like fun to drive it.

7/10/2019, 10:03 PM joemazdacx5
well, had my cx5 pcm software updated for the 'fix' today. took about 20 minutes. the mechanic that did the flash said version he is using now is 13.06. he said increase oil pressure to keep rocker arm in place plus the timing was off and this new pcm fixed that also. I asked by how much oil pressure was increased? could it cause oil leaks in future ? he said mazda headquarters don't tell him stuff like that. I asked if this new pcm just masks the problem? he said no, and if the rocker arm falls off that you'll know it because the timing will be off and you could hear it. So, sorry , not that mechanical , and best I could do. Oh also , no to removing the valve cover to check it it's already fallen off. guess he could hear it if it did.

7/4/2019 4:14PM mazdaftw
I had mines completed yesterday along with an oil change/tire rotation. Took about an hour. I revved the crap of it and took it up to 95mph for a split second. Everything seems fine.

07-04-2019, 12:51 AM #384 cz5gt
just a quick note. After the pcm update it seems reset are both of the average mpg counters to 0, the homelink setup for an already set garage opener and some of the settings in the infotainment, more precisely the active street sign recognition is back to default (on). at least on my car. by the way, the second recall for the bad weld part (unrelated to the rocker arm recall) seems gone from carfax. May be as somebody mentioned it was a mistake.

07-03-2019, 01:39 PM #373
cz5gt
Got mine done as well. Took about 15 mins for the update. Yes, they are not checking anything else as the recall instructions are only for pcm update.

07-03-2019, 11:02 AM #372
LAMike240
I*m at the dealer now for 20k service and they are also updating the software per the recall. He said it only takes 15 minutes, so I*ll assume they are not checking for a dropped rocker. I did do the tests, 5-6k rpm 60 and below, and at speeds up to 80. No issues.

just had my CX-5 done. Called Mazda, the guy after putting me on hold said the patch is called version PAJ3-188K2-H. When i got to the dealer, the actual file that got downloaded was PX42-18881-C. the IDS version on the machine was IDS-113.06

My trips (A & B) both also got reset. Didn't notice any difference to performance. ACtually took it to a different dealer to confirm, (they didn't know i went elsewhere first) they said they downloaded it, but the trips didn't get reset, so my assumption is if you already had it on the computer it didn't write over. We'll see...

just had my CX-5 done. Called Mazda, the guy after putting me on hold said the patch is called version PAJ3-188K2-H. When i got to the dealer, the actual file that got downloaded was PX42-18881-C. the IDS version on the machine was IDS-113.06

My trips (A & B) both also got reset. Didn't notice any difference to performance. ACtually took it to a different dealer to confirm, (they didn't know i went elsewhere first) they said they downloaded it, but the trips didn't get reset, so my assumption is if you already had it on the computer it didn't write over. We'll see...
Ours reset the trip computer as well.

They supposed to put a sticker under the hood after the work is done. Maybe the 2nd dealer saw it.

Took in our 19 today for oil change and recall...only took about 1.5 hrs for both, along with wash and vacuum. Trip computer was reset. Engine/power characteristics havent changed at all. If anything running a touch smoother on the fresh Zepro high/moly oil (supposedly same as Mazda moly oil). Got 35 mpg on 20 mile drive home with active cruise.

Took in our *19 today for oil change and recall...only took about 1.5 hrs for both, along with wash and vacuum. Trip computer was reset. Engine/power characteristics haven*t changed at all. If anything running a touch smoother on the fresh Zepro high/moly oil (supposedly same as Mazda moly oil). Got 35 mpg on 20 mile drive home with active cruise.

That's another impressive number. I'm starting to wonder if CD isn't good for more than 1 mpg gain.

"$450 to visually inspect the Rocker Arm"

This is a repeat post I posted on another CD related thread. It seems appropriate to be in this thread too.

My dealership quoted me $450 to open up the valve cover for the visual inspection of the rocker arm. The person that took care of me strongly against this idea as it is not part of the recall, although the labor cost will be on me. He reminded me that my car (19 CX-5 Touring) only has 3300 miles/5 months old and therefore has a lot of miles/time left until the warranty is up. If there is a case where the warranty is about to expire, then he is more supportive of the rocker arm inspection. He has a point there. But he also said that he will do whatever I wish. The $450 is more than I was willing to pay and there is also a risk in disassembly/reassembly of the valve cover(eg. sloppy tech). So I decided to only do the PCM update - part of the reason was that while on my way to the dealership, I put my car into Sport mode and rev it up to 5K+ several times(could not hold it there longer than 1 second because the car would automatically shifted; I know, I know...I should have done it in manual mode). Similarity, I pretended to pass a car many times by going hard on the accelerator - no limp mode.

Before the service guy handed me the key back, he kindly told me that the tech that did the PCM update wanted to remind me that the warranty in the areas of my concern is a 5yr/60K miles, not the 3yr/36K because the rocker arm/cylinder is part of the powertrain components. All this time I thought the rocker arm related warranty is a 3yr/36k. (Forgive my lack of awareness and for those that are like me, now you are aware). You can also double check what is covered under powertrain warranty(5yr/60k) in your Warranty booklet that came with the car. Another piece of info - Honda recently extended the warranty to 6yr/unlimited miles on the powertrain for owners of Honda CRV with 1.5L turbo engine due to oil dilution and rocker arm issue....you read that right, rocker arm assembly issue. So it is a powertrain related component. And yes, my Trip (A&B) got reset to 0 after the update.

Last edited:
My trip computer was not reset.

I don't want to worry you, but there is a possibility that your PCM was not updated. Thinking that the dealership is overwhelmed with recall work and perhaps they missed your car. My trip(A&B) was reset like others. I once took my car to have an oil change(at Tire Plus) and got a call that the job was completed only to find out my oil is still dirty.

Back